Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Heat Moulding new Ski boots

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I've just bought some new ski boots online. I have very very wide feet and calfs and for the past few years have been skiing my my Head Cube 3 8MYA boots, but they have a low flex (60) and I'm finding them far too flexible and I don't have enough control in them, especially as my skiing has vastly improved.

Head as I can see really are the best for my wide feet and wide calfs so I've bought a pair of Head Cube 3 with a flex of 80 instead.I've bought these online as no shops near me stock them. My question is about heat moulding them. I wear my own orthotics (footbeds) in them which I've had custom made by my podiatrist. My old boots were heat moulded but before I had my own orthotics so I think the heat moulding was for a footbed and the liner. Is it worth getting the liners on the new boots heat moulded with my own orthotics in them and does anyone know if shops will generally do this if I haven't bought the boots from them?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes but heat mould them yourself. Plenty you tube vids on how to do it. Rice in and old sock in microwave, sit it 10 mins with hot rice bags in x2. Take out and put your orthotic sole back in, foot in, tighten so clips all fasten and stand with front of boot in a piece of 2” high timber. Tighten slightly and stand anouther 5 mins. Easy, repeat....job done. I’ve just done mine....takes 45 mins max.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
OK thanks, All makes sense apart from one bit.

What do you mean stand with front of boot in a piece of 2" high timber?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Katie - here’s the YouTube vid

http://youtube.com/v/8K7fRr-Jbfo
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@katie28, hope that makes sense - I’ve done it loads and it’s always worked. There’ll be loads on here who say go to a boot fitter and get it done properly but why, this is all they do.

One caveat - this assumes your boots fit properly and don’t need any cuff adjustment or cant setting up. If so you best go see Graham at Rivington Alpine, he’s a great boot fitter near Bolton.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Markymark29 I was about to say - with your caveat

With a new pair of boots I'd be inclined to see a bootfitter, just so that any other flaws have an opportunity to be nipped in the bud. Moulding the shells is only one small part of the process of getting boots that fit.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Great, thanks all
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Liners in oven for 5 minutes at 80c, put them into boots and wear for 5 minutes....job done. That's what my Tecnica boots instructions said to do.

I also did the youtube seen trick of cutting the toes section off a second pair of old ski socks and wearing over normal ski socks to give a wee bit more toe room when the liners are cooling to foot shape.

I would forsake a little bit of performance for comfort these days. Confused
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy