Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

On piste respect

Poster: A snowHead
We are just back from a great week on quiet pistes in Val D, but there were, despite how quiet things were some little issues here and there.

Five late middle aged guys standing in a line, 3 one side and 2 the other of the ralentir sign at the bottom of the Datcha lift, oblivious to the group trying to get by.
About 15 guys, all with AVI packs etc, obviously good skiers, but standing in a group across the piste to look at training in La Daille, leaving a gap of about 2 metres, forcing a group of novices to go around them, and then two set off without checking uphill, forcing mrsthecramps to go off the edge of the piste to avoid them.
The boarder who, on an almost completely empty piste, came from high to my left straight across the front of my skis, about 1 metre ahead and then turned and came back to do it again.
And daily incidences of obviously experienced people blocking turnstile entrances or chair lift exit run offs.

And most embarrassingly, all British. It's not so bad when new skiers do these things, we all need to learn, but when experienced people are doing it, it is just plain rude and disrespectful.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Maybe they just didn't realize they were causing a roadblock?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
king key wrote:
Maybe they just didn't realize they were causing a roadblock?
Possibly true. But that doesn't make it OK. Awareness of other slope users is an important part of being in the mountains.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@king key, True, but my point is they should have, we all know
"OK, you know what a Piste is for don't you? Skiing, boarding, whatever, just remember the skiers' code though: look uphill before you take off and don't sit in the middle of it!"
don't we? it's in the title of this section of SH.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

The boarder who, on an almost completely empty piste, came from high to my left straight across the front of my skis, about 1 metre ahead and then turned and came back to do it again.

Loving those moving slalom poles wink Laughing Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
And remember, this was a quiet week, so you would think it would be quite hard to be a pain on the slopes.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@halfhand, I asked him "Are you kidding me?", he replied with a mouthful of abuse and bollox about how there was lots of piste for everyone. I told him to F off and use it.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Had a young lad spark up a cigarette on a stopped lift today - not a breath of wind in the air - it was rank Sad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@thecramps, mind you they couldn't be causing that much of a problem as you were able to talk to all of them!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ADESki, The blokes blocking Datcha were stood beside us as we got ready at the top, the AVI pack guys were waiting at the funival in La Daille when we arrived, and the rest we heard speaking as we were beside them. The boarder I spoke to, as above. Was it you?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Spacial Awareness is one of my pet peeves. I see it every day on the road and especially in my local town on a Saturday afternoon, a complete lack of awareness to what is going on around them. I guess that translates to the slopes when these people go skiing/boarding.

My Sister by the way is a magnet for anyone out of control or skiing badly. It started when we were lined up on the piste in class 1, and continues to this day 30 years later.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@thecramps,
😉 Ha! As yet no time to get on the slopes and no where near good enough to board - tried twice, and it hurt all three of us!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Its not always Brit’s .French snowboarder cut me up at bottom of solaise nearly killed me went right across my skis .i caught him up beside the Olympic .he just laughed at me so removed my skis and set about him he was not laughing 😂 after I finished .skiclub of GB members I was with were speechless 😶
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@thecramps, Don't get me started on people who block chair lift exits...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@cad99uk, Here is the place. Don't be nice. Judging by the age and obvious experience of many of the culprits we saw last week, by percentage, at least some must be SH's. I just didn't get that at least one person in the groups didn't say, "hold on lad's, we need to move". I would have been embarrassed.
ski holidays
@thecramps,
Yeah it makes me a bit grumpy sometimes when other mountain users are not mindful of each other.
I ski to an OK level and board a little bit better, I'm actually OK(ish) at one footed snowboarding but it winds me up when people don't clear the off ramp area after getting off a chair lift.
When I'm dismounting a chairlift and I see people who should have moved and cleared the off ramp area I pretend to be a beginner boarder and sort of slide towards them looking a little bit out of control with one foot it only to 'save it' and gain control just before I 'encounter' them. (Obviuosly don't snowboard into them).
You can see the look on their face when the 'penny drops' and they realise they should get out of the way properly after departing a chair lift.
I do give people 'encouragement' when I'm on the slopes to follow the alpine code if they need it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not telling everyone what to do but If people are standing in a stupid place, I'll give them some 'feedback' or if they are skiing out of control I'll tell them if it's appropriate.
Most people are astonished when I politely tell them they are being silly or try and give them some 'feedback'.
They're even more astonished if I do it when I'm snowboarding as opposed to being on my ski's and I think I can see it in their eyes.... they're thinking.... No way can a Geordie snowboarder be telling me what to do.
I have no problem taking to strangers (I'm Northern) and I always keep it very polite even if they are not.
Experienced skiers and boarders who don't give beginners enough room is my big grumble. It's easy for us all to forget how hard and intimidating learning to ski and snowboard actually is.
I'm a bit deaf so I might be maybe extra aware of my surroundings when I'm on the hill but If I go past someone on a CAT track I'll give them a shout COOWEE before I pass.
I'll also just wait to pass if it's a bit safer when on a CAT track or something like that until the track joins a wider piste.
A ski instructor explained the FIS code very well to me, she said.......
RESPECT GETS RESPECT
ski holidays
@@247snowman, +1 all of that, but especially the respect aspect and the tolerance of beginners.
snow report
vipul wrote:
Its not always Brit’s .French snowboarder

Yeah, it's not always Brits... but it is almost always snowboarders Very Happy
latest report
@dp, Not for us last week, all skiers apart from my one experience with a boarder.
snow conditions
yes sorry I was joking... I just like to blame boarders for everything.

Whether it's bad snow, closed pistes, expensive beer... it's all snowboarders' fault
latest report
@dp, That's fair enough. I agree somewhat, but Stanton is to blame too.
latest report
Last year in Flaine a boarder came across the back of my skis similar to the above mentioned slalom manoeuvre.

I wasnt hanging about so he must have been going some, would have just taken an edge from either of us and might have been the last turns we did. His mate (on skis) had the decency to mumble something suitably embarrassed when i caught them up but boarder didnt want to know.

When I used to sail we would avoid "close action" as it distracted from sailing fast but also limited your options.

As it happens these two were Welsh, but that wasn't the issue...
snow conditions
@dp, soo funny, that did make me laugh. Cracking me up (even though I'm a boarder 1st and now keen skier 2nd).

I've gotta point out that snowboarders have a blind spot as they are side ways on and which side they're bind spot is, depends which foot forward they are riding.

I did a season in Vermont a couple of winters ago and the weekend warriors over there we're terrible. Lot's of people out of control, not yealding when merging trails.... all the gear and no idea or another way to put it......All the kit and still Sh*t
snow report
@247snowman wrote:
I've gotta point out that snowboarders have a blind spot as they are generally sat facing downhill

FIFY NehNeh

I'm actually just a bit jealous of how easy it is for 'boarders to sit down, one of the main things that's tempting me to the dark side.
snow report
@SnoodlesMcFlude Very Happy

@@247snowman Snowboarders always use the blind spot thing in there defence. To me I think it's just more evidence that as a sport it is stupid. Why would you choose a vehicle that only permits you to see half of what's going on?

Puzzled
ski holidays
The depressing thing is how often you see instructors, with their classes, blocking lift exits, narrow trails, etc. You cannot help but think that they are passing on their bad habits - monkey see, monkey do.
ski holidays
snowboarder here - simple solution for people standing around in the way, go full speed towards them, looking completely out of control, grinding edges into ice, spraying as much snow and making as much noise as possible, and just get it all back under control at the last moment and narrowly avoid them. Even more fun if there's a few of you in a group and you all do it

Very Happy
ski holidays
ulmerhutte wrote:
The depressing thing is how often you see instructors, with their classes, blocking lift exits, narrow trails, etc. You cannot help but think that they are passing on their bad habits - monkey see, monkey do.

and gone are the days when instructors offered words of ' advice' to other slope users ⛷😐
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thecramps wrote:
by percentage, at least some must be SH's. .

Very flattering to Admin with that comment I think! There are around one and a half million UK 'skiers' There are around 300 active snowheads....
latest report
I'm constantly amazed by how many people just sit or stand in the middle of a piste, especially just before a brow.
latest report
That bit just uphill of a snowboarder sat in the middle of a piste (or a skier stood about), that's where to test your edging with the most agressive hockey stop you can muster. Max points for being as loud as you can and just getting on your edges as you can see the fear in their eyes, then skiing off with a smile Toofy Grin
ski holidays
dp wrote:
... Snowboarders always use the blind spot thing in there defence. To me I think it's just more evidence that as a sport it is stupid. Why would you choose a vehicle that only permits you to see half of what's going on?
"Their", you mean?
Like a Lamborghini, you mean?

If you're irresponsible on skis then putting you on a snowboard would not seem likely to fix it. Some people even believe that there are "rules" which mean that they don't need to know what's behind them.

It seems patently obvious that it's a good idea to look where you're going and also to be aware of threats from others. On a board, it's a simple matter of looking over your shoulder. I understand that other people don't do that. I think you either deal with that threat, or rely on them for your safety and then come onto the internet to whine about it.
latest report
Everything @thecramps has said is pretty much bang on and its a seasonal bugbear for everyone - I have never come away from a resort without someone in my group having a pop at someone for poor etiquette.

I wonder what people were taught when they started to ski? I suspect that those who learned in the Alps may not have had this drummed into them as the ski schools first job is to turn out competent skiers/boarders.

As has been said, if they learn from instructors who stop in the middle and expect everyone else to get round them, none of this is a surprise.

When I first went sking with school to Hillend near Edinburgh and Glenshee / Cairngorms, our teachers were red hot on all the basics - stop at the side of the piste, look before you set off, etc etc etc.

Your own awareness is also important - I tend to assume idiots will be around and look ahead and avoid numpties on the piste (you know the ones, that dont keep a consistent line and are guaranteed to ski right across your perfect arcs - or give them some friendly "get oot the feckin way" advice if they are dawdling off a lift.
ski holidays
@nelly0168,
Quote:

Your own awareness is also important - I tend to assume idiots will be around and look ahead and avoid numpties on the piste
+1. And, after my brother-in-law was very bady injured in a hit and run from behind, I wear a back protector when the slopes are busy.
latest report
If you go to a mostly French resort, you'll see very polite behaviour on the slopes. But the lift queues are an absolute disaster. I have never seen such despicable rudeness and lack of respect for my fellow human beings.
snow report
Well there's one more thing... chill out Wink I spend more then 1/3 of year on skis, every year, yet I don't think I encounter so many problem in whole year then you obviously managed to get in one week. Yeah people behave like they do, but what the hell. Skiing is fun and take it as that. If you need to get over some slower/standing guy then you just do that... same did obviously do that annoying snowboarder, who needed to get by some slowly moving obstacle (read you) Wink If skiing is such a stress don't bother with it, and do something else. But don't expect everyone will behave and ski the same way as you do.
snow report
In general , I think lack of on piste respect is becoming common, Andorra is particular bad . There isn't much you do about these clowns, they don't see anything wrong. You would probably find they would for in their home country , for example, block "yellow boxes " at lights etc. etc. without a second thought
ski holidays
@Hurtle, how aware of the back protector whilst you are wearing it - particularly when skiing?
latest report
Hurtle wrote:
@nelly0168,
Quote:

Your own awareness is also important - I tend to assume idiots will be around and look ahead and avoid numpties on the piste
+1. And, after my brother-in-law was very bady injured in a hit and run from behind, I wear a back protector when the slopes are busy.

+2

At the PSB I was often waiting (even moving off the edge of the piste) during busy spells with lots of idiots skiing down. I think during that week there was some of the best and worst skiing I’ve ever seen.
snow report
Quote:

I think lack of on piste respect is becoming common

IMO This has always been there. If its not the skier / snowboarder issue, its the ski school Vs the world argument, or the pushing in the lift line problem, or snaking runs in the park, or the smoking on the chairlift debate, even the last run down after a boozy lunch dilemma.
The mountains are a big, wide wonderful place. Unfortunately you have to share it with other people sometimes. Treat all other users as potential idiots, and politely help them if they're in the wrong / could use some advice. We've all been there before.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy