Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trysil 2017/18

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks, I'll have a look for your report, I probably read it a few months ago when we booked but confess I may not have taken a lot of notice of the driving part at the time as we were originally going on the ski bus. Laughing We've just changed this week to a hire car after realising a taxi or transfer just to get us to and from the horse sleigh ride at Trysil Hestesenter (25km away) was going to cost over £100 on it's own(!) so that made the hire car hardly any more expensive overall, and a lot more convenient.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just booked for Trysil for a long weekend in early March. Snow looks good for now, let's hope it holds on.
This will be the wife and I's first European skiing (just moved from the US last year) so we are pretty excited.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We have ended up booking for the last weekend in March, so will be driving up from Oslo the weekend before Easter - I'll report back if anything unusual.

@ster's experience matches a previous time I drove to Hemsedal - very easy country to drive in, almost car-advert type empty and scenic roads.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We have been to Trysil three times (with one year off to go to Finland). We stayed in both radissons but the tourists centre one is the best. Love skiing in Scandinavia, especially there being hardly any queues. Going to Austria on Saturday and can’t wait though certainly not looking forward to queues there.

In Trysil last year there wasn’t a lot of snow (about 62cm) but it was kept quite well. My biggest grumble would be all the buttons and t-bars. I understand there are so many because as the mountain has a lot of wind, they can still keep lifts going rather than having to shut down chairlifts. Have to say T9 terrifies me especially where you turn right and the green ends in a black. I lost my ski on it and watched it travelling down the mountain. I did however have my first (hopefully last) rescue skidoo ride though! That button up to the top always put my stomach in my mouth as well.

Have a great time - it’s a lovely place, especially for families.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks, really looking forward to it. We're at Radisson Blu tourist center for most of the holiday but had to move over to the mountain resort for the last two nights as some corporate has booked out the entire tourist resort hotel the weekend after Easter for a conference rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The only trouble with tourist centre we found was that when the nightclub on the top of the building kicks out in the wee small hours, people congregate at the hotel entrance and chat. Our apartment was directly above it, so if I were you, I would email them in advance flagging up that you want an apartment at the back and a lower floor. I went to reception and complained in the end as they were bloody shrieking. We did however have a generous discount of the following year's trip to mountain resort so not all bad! There are some lovely little greens over at mountain resort to get your legs warmed up first thing.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the tip, just sent an email Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mcnelson92 wrote:
Just booked for Trysil for a long weekend in early March. Snow looks good for now, let's hope it holds on.
This will be the wife and I's first European skiing (just moved from the US last year) so we are pretty excited.

Welcome to snowheads! Norway is a non-traditional choice for a first European ski destination... But I presume you've done your homework and know the differences to the Alps. If you are based in Brighton, I'm surprised you didn't chose to go Gatwick-Åre/Ostersund with EasyJet and ski in Åre, Sweden.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gatwick - Oslo with Norwegian most likely, that's what we're doing.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Trysil seems to be getting its fair share of snow so far this season, lets hope it keeps up into Easter when we go! Snow depth is already half a metre more than at any time in the past two seasons and another ~80cm forecast in the next 2 weeks.
https://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/Norway/Trysil_snow.html

snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Themasterpiece wrote:
mcnelson92 wrote:

Welcome to snowheads! Norway is a non-traditional choice for a first European ski destination... But I presume you've done your homework and know the differences to the Alps. If you are based in Brighton, I'm surprised you didn't chose to go Gatwick-Åre/Ostersund with EasyJet and ski in Åre, Sweden.

Thanks!
We tend to be non-traditional travelers anyways so it's not much of a stretch. Trysil also seemed to have a good mix of harder stuff for the wife to ride with some easier stuff for me to build some confidence on. We plan on doing a big Alps trip next year with my wife's family so I wanted to check out something a bit more low-key this year while building up my skills before we go out for a week. We are flying direct to Oslo with Norwegian and taking the bus out to Trysil, which seems like a pretty easy way of doing it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We have just returned from fab week in trysil. Drive was amazingly smooth. Roads no problem.
Brilliant resort, great conditions and quiet even though it was feb half term.
Best skiing ever. Food was pricey but we self catered and took some with us. Booked everything through SkiStar which was very efficient. Stayed in apartment near slopes.
Message me for further details.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A question for those that have been to Trysil (or other Scandanavian ski resorts) in previous years... What sort of weather should we expect in terms of average temperatures and blue sky / whiteout day ratios around Easter time, are weather and ski conditions likely to be significantly different to the Alps etc?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Last Easter at Trysil we had a few overcast days then a decent amount of snow (luckily mainly overnight) for a couple of days then a sunny day as the snow front cleared. Snow was grainy by the end of day but it was cold enough that there wasn't melting then re-freeze overnight so no ice. Not extremely cold but it can get windy so be prepared for that.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks, I noticed from the weather reports that it's around -20C at the moment which is rather chilly, sounds like that would be unusual for Easter thankfully!
snow report
@Locoblade, -20 at Easter would be very surprising, it's far more likely to be somewhere around 0 (probably give or take 10 degrees, I.e much like the Alps). Sunshine...anybody's guess really, just like any other mountains.
Mid winter, on the other hand, is often very cold.
ski holidays
I think the -20 sounds in line with the rest of Europe at the minute (and some parts of the UK!). Easter should be more benign. Enjoy!
ski holidays
Yep the whole of Europe is rather chilly at the moment it seems, even the Formula 1 testing in Barcelona was snowed off this morning!

Thanks for the confirmation though, not long now and can't wait!
snow conditions
Temperatures are mad at the moment. We were in Obertauern, Austria, a couple of weeks ago and I saw the other day it reached -26. A temperature I would more have associated with Scandinavia. As above, wind can be an issue with Trysil, which is why there are so many drags there. it suffers from visibility issues as well, but may be better at Easter. We went during winter so didn’t see sun but again, at Easter, I’m sure that will be better. Glad that there is plenty of snow - we weren’t so lucky last year. It was patchy but they still managed to keep it all going so no big problem. It’s a great resort.
ski holidays
Thanks, yep looks ideal for us with young kids learning the ropes, hopefully not too cold so the kids can enjoy a lot of time on the mountain
snow report
Anyone going to be in Trysil this weekend? Wife and I will be there from Thursday night to Sunday afternoon.
latest report
Drove that way on Wednesday and was easy enough. Roads were in good condition despite masses of snow this season. A couple of radar guns once you turn off the main highway towards Trysil - stick to the speed limits and you'll be fine.
snow conditions
@doddles, thanks will keep an eye out for them Smile
snow conditions
BTW, how were the snow conditions at Trysil? From the weather reports I've been following it doesnt look like they've had too much fresh snow in the last few weeks, are conditions still good?
ski holidays
I was just driving through so couldn't say. But I'd be surprised by those reports. There's been fresh snow in Norway in the past week - I skiied the little hill in Oslo last Sunday and the snow was excellent. Picture below from Sweden near Norway border not far from Trysil, taken Wednesday.

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/PIHayvHmx8vcCvhT2[/img]

Don't know why that link doesn't work...
snow conditions
Locoblade wrote:
BTW, how were the snow conditions at Trysil? From the weather reports I've been following it doesnt look like they've had too much fresh snow in the last few weeks, are conditions still good?

Skistar says last snow fall was on 12th with 150cm base currently, everything open and sunshine forecast. Maybe a dusting on Sat

I know they wouldn't be knocking it but sounds pretty good to me.
snow report
Yep the Skistar website suggests all is good but there's no beating real eyes on the ground Smile
snow conditions
There was 81cm when we were there an all but a couple of runs were open. They keep the pistes in really good condition.

One thing to bear in mind in Trysil, especially if you are a beginner/early intermediate, is that you have to be careful of where your run ends up and make sure you plot your route very carefully. One green, if you miss the turning (which we did) ends halfway down a black snow-park! It was empty so we paddled across to the next run which was a red!! A green off one of the T’s ends in the bottom of a black. Oh and if you are nervous about T’s, avoid T9 and the mega long one coming up from the bottom of the blacks. The button up to the top isn’t for the faint hearted either.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 24-03-18 21:00; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I recall lots of webcams on their interactive piste map if daily snow voyeurism is wanted.
snow report
bambionskiis wrote:
There was 81cm when we were there an all but a couple of runs were open. They keep the pistes in really good condition.

One thing to bear in mind in Trysil, especially if you are a beginner/early intermediate, is that you have to be careful of where your run ends up and make sure you plot your route very carefully. One green, if you miss the turning (which we did) ends halfway down a black snow-park! It was empty so we paddled across to the next run which was a red!! A green off one of the T’s ends in the bottom of a black. Oh and if you are nervous about T’s, avoid T9 and the mega long one coming up from the bottom of the blacks. The button up to the top isn’t for the faint hearted either.

Thanks, yeh with the kids in tow we'll only be on greens and blues and looking at the piste map it looks like you could get yourself into trouble, will have to be careful!
snow conditions
Skiied last 3 days in Trysil - Friday to Sunday. Very deep base still (can't see any issues with them keeping all pistes open til season end c. 29 April) and lovely flattering piste conditions.
ski holidays
JimiHendrix wrote:
Skiied last 3 days in Trysil - Friday to Sunday. Very deep base still (can't see any issues with them keeping all pistes open til season end c. 29 April) and lovely flattering piste conditions.

Great news, we're there from Friday so if it disappears between now and then I'll be very disappointed! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Just whizzed through the thread, a few other things...

Driving up from Oslo couldn't be easier - a world away from the stress of UK driving. The roads are all clear. With winter tires and modern traction control even the snow and ice covered car parks aren't an issue. The Norwegian thing about cars pulling out from sideroads from the right in built up areas does happen and it's a bit random but not a major problem - just be aware. The average standard of car in Norway shows off what a comparatively rich country it is and that extends to the hire cars - we were offered a choice of Audi and mercedes keys on a cheap booking.

The Radisson Blu is lovely - we hung out there a bit sipping £9 beers and wishing we could go in the pool and spa.

Conditions on piste are great. You will be in a holiday season and it was filling up on Sunday but no lift queues and plenty of only-person-on-the-piste moments.

@Locoblade, not sure how experienced your kids are but I cannot think of a better resort for kids to learn, especially the network of greens around the Hoyfellssenter (spelling approx correct!). Top of my shortlist for when I first take my children.

Pistes are softly graded - greens are flat, blues gentle, reds like a typical alpine blue, blacks like an alpine red, with one exception (black 75) which we bottled after seeing how few locals were attempting it.

Costs - well, it all depends on your expectation I suppose - mine turned out to be a bit low! Lunches are £15-20 which was OK when nice (such as the grey cafe by the main base, or a pizza in the Radisson Blu), but less so when like kids soft play food (cafe at the Hoyfellssenter base). Nothing is cheap, so possible to leak money at an alarming rate. You might want to boost supplies with a trip to one of the 7-11 supermarkets in Trysil main street (even then thanks to Norway's high taxes and wierd food rules you have to be careful, quite normal food varies from english prices to 5 x english prices). You can buy shotguns and chainsaws in the main street too if you want to do the Norwegian mountain man thing!

The Norwegians were lovely, without exception - reputation for not caring about customer service no longer applies.

Great resort, especially for a family and a great time of year to go - enjoy!
ski holidays
@JimiHendrix, many thanks, all really useful and just adding to the anticipation! This will be the first trip for the kids, they've had around 5 hours of lessons on dry slope over the past 3 months (their last lesson was with @karin on Sunday at Guildford) and they're now linking snowplough turns quite happily so could get down a green or easy blue I'd think. We've booked them into the "Know the basics" level 2 lessons from the Monday onward so we'll have 2 days over the weekend to get them used to snow and button lifts before those kick off.

Is it possible to traverse from Touristsenter to Hoyfellssenter (I'll use your spelling!) whilst sticking to greens and blues as the map looks like it might be possible to go one way but not sure about getting back to Touristsenter without a trip to the top then some red runs or a downward trip on the cable car possibly? We're actually moving hotels to the other Radisson Blu in Hoyfellssenter for the last 2 days of our stay as some corporate has booked the entire Turistsenter hotel that second weekend, so we should get a good feel of both sides of the mountain either way but would be nice to be able to access the whole mountain all the time for a bit of variety.
snow conditions
@Locoblade, great - just brilliant for beginners.

On the Touristsenter side, I'd expect the ski school to teach them on the greens at the bottom. These are slightly separated from the main area, so there are only beginners on them, plus the odd lost tourist. Then if they're progressing, take them up the T1/T2 chair and down blue 13, 61, 62, none of which have any surprises.

For getting them over to Hoyfellssenter, the "low traverse" is not that do-able for beginners as there are 3 or 4 long drags and blues 35/36 to Hoegga are quite technical, possibly harder than any of the reds, plus i'm never sure about kids on those cat-track pistes with edges and people hooning down them! Skiing-wise, there is a really easy wide-green up and over route if you take chair T2, green 14, chair S1, green 48 (the 50m of red at the start is absolutely flat) ....but, you will need to take them right up to the top above the tree line, so you and they may or may not fancy this.

The other option is driving - there is loads of parking and once we'd sussed things out managed to ski right to the car on the last couple of days. You could drive them over in 5 minutes.

Even if you don't get them over, you're probably doing it the best way around - the opportunity to explore a dozen linked greens being most valuable at the end of the week.
ski holidays
JimiHendrix wrote:
@Locoblade

Skiing-wise, there is a really easy wide-green up and over route if you take chair T2, green 14, chair S1, green 48 (the 50m of red at the start is absolutely flat) ....but, you will need to take them right up to the top above the tree line, so you and they may or may not fancy this.

The other option is driving - there is loads of parking and once we'd sussed things out managed to ski right to the car on the last couple of days. You could drive them over in 5 minutes.

Even if you don't get them over, you're probably doing it the best way around - the opportunity to explore a dozen linked greens being most valuable at the end of the week.

Over the top is a good route as no drags. Don't be worried about going over the top from a technical perspective, all the greens are all pretty easy indeed. Beginners can get quite a sense of achievement of going to the top and skiing getting down. Our 6 year old was getting down these ok snowplowing. If you are looking to do this after a few days of lessons there then it should be quite achievable, but you will be the best judge being on the spot as to how they are progressing and if they are up for it.

Other option is the ski bus, we never took it but saw it.
latest report
Thanks both, looks like there will be more than enough to keep us all occupied for a week and we'll have a car so can always drive round to Hoyfellssenter if the kids don't fancy going to the top! It could even be me bottling it though because I'm a converting snowboarder that's only been on skis for an 8 hour learner day at MK so I'm probably at a similar level to the girls! Very Happy
latest report
Locoblade wrote:
bambionskiis wrote:

Thanks, yeh with the kids in tow we'll only be on greens and blues and looking at the piste map it looks like you could get yourself into trouble, will have to be careful!

Is the piste map very different to what's on the ground? I can see a few places where runs of different colours converge at the end but typically these are flat at the bottom (so e.g. green and black end up together but it'll be wide and gentle, not steep).

@Locoblade, we'll be in Høyfjellssenter from Sunday so if you spot a random Snowheads buff or two, it could well be us. Always happy to say hello to fellow snowHead Very Happy
latest report
@mgrolf, I'll keep an eye out, I'll probably be the one with wife and two very pink youngsters in tow, or ahead of me most likely!!
latest report
If you turn right off T9 (the world’s worst IMO) onto a little green you then catch the bottom of a black, which I found tricky (it certainly isn’t “flat” (my defence it was quite icy!). I fell over and watched my ski career off down the slope. On the bright side though they had to send a skidoo up for me which was good fun!

Blue 35 is indeed a bit technical. I quite liked it when the conditions were good but on the last run it was icy and people were going down like skittles.

Green 34 is the one that crosses the black snow park which I didn’t feel safe doing as it’s quite a slow paddle across an area where you have people doing jumps just upslope from you before you the end up on a red (15).

Definately the best side of the mountain for green/blue skiers - you will love it I’m sure.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy