Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off Piste Guide [written not human] to St Anton

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
I've done endless Google searches but come up blank. Does anyone know of any good guidebooks or maps of the off piste options round Sankt Anton? German or English.

All I can find is lots of expensive human guides, but that looks to be around 400 euros per day, which I can't afford.

I've done lots of slack piste or whatever it's called, the various itinaires at St Anton and a few of the more obvious couloirs (eg the ones on the left getting off SchindlerGradBahn (or whatever it's called).

For example, far end of Rendl was really good two years ago, but it looked like you might be able to continue into the valley bottom rather than cutting back skiers' right through the trees. I guess there's also loads of excellent OP if you go over the back of Rendl, but I don't want to head off into the unknown without some idea of what's there.

I'm conscious that this sort of post might attract a certain level of opprobrium, along the lines of "if you need a book then you aint good enough". Probably true, but to try to give some perspective I've done a reasonable amount of off piste at The Mighty One, Easy Gully on Aonach Mhor, Gorm, Glenshee, Raise (aint it all!) Yads Moss, Ricksgransen, Gaustablick, St Anton, Lech, Zillertal, Gerlos, Zermat, Andermat, Engelberg, Val De Mesde, Alta, Snowbasin, Canyons, PM, Snowbird etc etc.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have a look at the 2 books by Andy Thurner - one is lift served off piste and the other ski touring routes. We went a few years back and they served us better than the human guide. More info in the thread below

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=74877
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@TheGeneralist, Search back a few seasons (at least 6-8 I cant remember ) on this forum I wrote up a lot of the Off Piste Routes in Arlberg.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@TheGeneralist, check out Rother and Panico, two (German language) publishers who have ski touring / off piste guidebooks (skitourenführer) for that area. Both usually available through Amazon uk.

Also the FATMAP app is pretty good for Arlberg; in English too. And also the Bergfex app/ website, although it’s almost all German.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi All,
Thanks very much for the excellent suggestions. My GoogleFu is clearly as weak as my off-piste technique.

The two freeride maps and the Arlberg off piste guide arrived yesterday from backcountrybooks. Of anyone wants 10% off then feel free to use TAKE10 at checkout to get a discount. Likewise TAKE15 at Gemstock.com (whatever the hell that is)

So the maps look like, well maps really. With some colouring in of different areas dependent on the general grnaliness of the area. But disappointing really for £17 each. But never mind, I'll hopefully be able to transcribe some of the routes across from Any Thurner's book.

So the book, good pictures, but no bloody captions. Weird descriptions which don't bother mentioning whether they refer to uphill or do
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@TheGeneralist, get the FATMAPs app and download the arlberg map. It’s free and they are pretty good
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If I remember correctly, you need to be very careful off the back of Rendl. I went with a guide some years ago down a fairly tracked out slope, asked why didn't we go over another 100 yards to the nice looking untracked bit only to be told it was untracked because it was a very dangerous avalanche prone slope.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers gordy. Rendl was one of the options I was keen on. Will be careful.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
TheGeneralist wrote:
Cheers gordy. Rendl was one of the options I was keen on. Will be careful.

How can you hope to ‘be careful’ if you’re just using a book and not a human guide?

Is the dearth of off piste guides down to the possible nervousness of publishers and authors if it all goes wrong for someone who reads their book?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski tour guides and climbing guides are hardly rare, they're a huge part of the operation of alpine clubs for example. They simply don't make a lot of money, in fact they generally make a loss and are provided as a service rather than a commercial venture. Even a successful guidebook, or technical manual for that matter, sells in tiny numbers.

Alpine clubs do publish guides and manuals because access to accurate information clearly improves safe practice and encourages participation.

And of course, the law doesn't work like that, Europe or anywhere else. You can't sue the writer or publishers if you fall off something.

The move now is to get them online which shows an optimism about the technology skills of the average ski tourer in this area Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
How can you hope to ‘be careful’ if you’re just using a book and not a human guide?

Obvious troll is obvious.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Franz Trimmel has some great stuff on his website (use the map dropdown in top right corner for Stuben/etc): https://alloffpiste.com/category/general/locations/stanton-locations/
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
outdooractive.com has a lot of data for austrian alps on it. I've found some obscure backcountry routes that I only heard talked about last year near Kaprun on this site

https://www.outdooractive.com/en/tours/#bm=oac%3Awinter&cat=Backcountry%20Skiing&zc=12,10.18827,47.13742
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@TheGeneralist, Andy Thurner and Trimmel as above
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Inboard wrote:
@TheGeneralist, check out Rother and Panico, two (German language) publishers who have ski touring / off piste guidebooks (skitourenführer) for that area. Both usually available through Amazon uk.

Also the FATMAP app is pretty good for Arlberg; in English too. And also the Bergfex app/ website, although it’s almost all German.

Thanks inboard,

I'm in St Anton from Mar 11th -21st, so on your suggestion I just checked out the FATMAP app navigating maps for the area, which I already know pretty well. But they look great and I'll use them, I just hope I don't get myself and my ski buddies in too much trouble with them.... Wink

Thanks for the heads up, very handy!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy