Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

....more....is pole planting necessary...take 2...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@valais2, oh, as I think I alluded above, doing it properly?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@DB, ....there's a bit of 'I would carve here and do strongly separated turns there...' ... But in the original post I was focussing on a specific syndrome:

if you always use a hockey-stop to halt, with bad upper body separation and with weighting the back of the skis, then you build up deep automatic behaviour. When skiing steeps and thinking '...sh==t I want to slow down, a lot...', the automatic slowing down move may well be a hockey stop. If this is what occurs automatically, then you are in a very bad stance, in a very dangerous place.

If you practice always stopping with good upper body separation and weighting forward on the skis, and do this a lot, it is more likely that it will also become the automatic, default slowing down move on the steeps. It becomes the thing you 'just do' when your brain shouts 'slow down'. If your automatic, usually-stop-like-this move is based on a strong stance, then this is more likely to be the unconscious default which the body turns to on the hill, in extremis, when you just need to 'do it' and fast
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@valais2,
Yes I agree, probably best to stop using the hockey stop and use a countered stop so it becomes an instinctive habit.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy