Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another Bansko perspective - don't knock it ...

Poster: A snowHead
... until you've tried it!
I went for a short (4 day) break with my wife, me to ski and she to enjoy some lounging and pampering.
We really liked it, and would certainly consider going again. I read enough of the reviews on here to have a few niggling doubts as we set off, so let me tell you how the doubts panned out:
- creaking lift system? Not apart from the gondola, which is massively under-specced and over-crowded for the current size of the resort. Problem solved by getting the VIP lift pass, which you can get by booking a package with Balkan Holidays, or staying at one of the handful of hotels that offer the VIP pass. (We stayed at the Premier, highly recommend). If you can't get the VIP pass, you'll need a plan involving either an early start or a shuttle bus up to the top station. Once you're up on the mountain, there are no issues at all with the lift infrastructure
- knackered hire skis? Nope. I paid about £20 a day for a pair of this year's mid range piste skis.
- crowded? Not as crowded as you'd think from the size of the gondola queue. There are runs and localities that do get pretty busy, but no more than you'd find in other resorts at peak times. It's true that there are quite a few beginners and the odd stag-do snowboarding party on the hill, but not enough to stop me enjoying my day
- poor/beginner-oriented skiing? Nope. Loads of genuinely red reds, and a couple of honest to goodness blacks. It's not St Anton, but if that's what you want then you have plenty of alternatives. I would say the blues are actually a bit challenging for a nervous 2nd week improver. The ski road down into town is lovely, as long as you give it the beans and have some speed on before you get to the last half mile or so.
- the area at the bottom of the mountain, Chalin Valog, is a bit of a hidden gem, especially when it's windy up on the top of the hill.
- Soviet era buildings and drab environment? You will see plenty of that on the transfer from Sofia, for sure. And Bansko has a bit of a wild west feel to it. If you want chocolate box surroundings this is not quite the place, but the traditional style Bulgarian restaurants and public buildings are charming enough, and I never felt unsafe or out of place
- Grumpy staff? Well, if you are used to American-style customer service where service personnel smile and answer politely 100% of the time, then you are in for a big culture shock ... Bulgarian customer service people smile and answer politely about 98.5% of the time. Show some interest in Bulgaria and its history and they will really light up. Also, look at how lots of the Russian visitors behave, and do the exact opposite, and you will be fine. The level of understanding of English is a bit scrappy - you will get a wrong food order in a restaurant at least once, because they were too polite to say that they hadn't understood your rapid-fire English. Its part of the charm in being in Bulgaria. Speaking of which ..
- stodgy bland food with cabbage and dumplings? Nope. We had some of the nicest food I've ever had on a ski holiday. And when you factor in the low prices, unbelievable value for money. And great wine, too, house red was a winner every time.
It's not for everyone. But don't assume it's not for you, until you've looked past the received wisdom. Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
+1. BTW, by renting a car from the airport you cover the transfer issue as well as the morning queue.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nice report

But is £20per day for mid range skis a bit steep even if this season (I usually take my own so may be a bit out of touch n current pricing)? Was that skis+ boots?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@grimupnorth, Nicely done review, and v glad you had a good time (I did too, a few years back), but gotta say I really don't like the concept of some being more equal than others via the VIP pass. Be a shame to see that concept spread more widely.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Was that skis+ boots?

Skis, poles, helmet. Don't know what your benchmarks would be, but I thought 'blimey that's not too bad'. I could have paid a bit less for 2 yr old kit, and tbf I could have shopped around a bit, but this was a rental office at the hotel where I stayed.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I really don't like the concept of some being more equal than others via the VIP pass

Yeah I know where you're coming from. I half expected to get hassle / abuse, but all was fine. It wouldn't be too much hardship (in my book) to get up early and join the gondola queue at 7.45am, but having got discovered that my hotel offered the possibility, I thought I'd take it. Hopefully by next year the whole situation will be better.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Went to Bansko with some friends in January and I totally echo this, every single point.

The main pain point is the queue for the gondola. Get up early and it's fine. There was also a few random lift/run closures which caused minor queues up the mountain, but once people distributed it was fine.

Is it as slick as say, the alps? No, nowhere near. But then it's literally a fraction of the price, and when you get up the mountain it's the same snow as you get on any other mountain!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
2nd gondola has been approved.
It will need more runs though.
VIP pass is more to do with killing off competition rather than being VIP.
Everything filters back to the same moneymen or at least a large slice of money, including the main pubs euphoria, happy end & the other new place at the crossroads.

I love bulgarian food though.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mr.Egg wrote:

It's been 'approved' every year since the resort opened. rolling eyes
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mollerski wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:

+ the airport!

But this time its been approved by government. There are plans somewhere & it will on the left side of the town, rather than the previous thought old barracks the otherside of the river
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@grimupnorth,
very good, well balanced report. Sounds like they’re gradually upping their game.

What about snow conditions, reliability, piste grooming, signposting, etc?

snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I love bulgarian food though.

I'm glad someone does. I hated eating in Bulgaria until I discovered Turkish restaurants.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I enjoyed my trip to the Bankso few years ago. Perfect place for a high season in the Alps. Also received very good quality tuition,
Would recommend hiring the guide and go to Todorka mountain peak and ski down to opposite valley, if you enjoy freeride of cause. Would not recommend doing this yourself without the proper equipment, there are few dangerous places, and crampons are must.

- when you rent the car, watch out for the path-holes on the road, some of them could be very dangerous
- Ive noticed that the piste quality little bit less compared to Alps, you could see sometimes little gaps between grader runs
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mr.Egg wrote:
Mollerski wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:

+ the airport!

But this time its been approved by government. There are plans somewhere & it will on the left side of the town, rather than the previous thought old barracks the otherside of the river

Almost immediately after reading press releases to say it was approved there was counter stuff reported from the environmentalists.

Here’s some more info on it all

https://banskoblog.com/2017/11/doublespeak-on-second-gondola-lift-in-bansko/

Left me feeling that I only will believe it is happening once it is constructed... pretty much as my believe in all the UK snowdomes that get “approved”
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mr.Egg wrote:

But this time its been approved by government.

Ah right. rolling eyes

https://www.business-anti-corruption.com/country-profiles/bulgaria/
snow conditions
@Mollerski,
As i said above. Bansko is ‘click’ run. I dont want to use the word mafia.
Lets say you go via balkan holiday. Stay at strazhite. Eat breakfast at lion bar, Hire ski’s & lessons from skimania, then party at happy end, eat in gingers & drink in euphoria (as well as a few other establishments) & hit the nightclub. You have lined the same pocket from the start of the day to the finish.
snow conditions
@Mr.Egg,

I have skied Bansko many times. My in-laws invested in an apartment there many years ago. It's easy to confuse cheap with good value. I don't consider Bansko good value. I simply do not enjoy the place, so it doesn't matter how cheap it is. I'd rather spend more money going somewhere I love.
snow conditions
Mollerski wrote:
@Mr.Egg,

I have skied Bansko many times. My in-laws invested in an apartment there many years ago. It's easy to confuse cheap with good value. I don't consider Bansko good value. I simply do not enjoy the place, so it doesn't matter how cheap it is. I'd rather spend more money going somewhere I love.

are you saying you get what you pay for? Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
On the Snow reports about 50cms average total snowfall per season, between Jan and April. Average 8 snowy days per season. Based on last 4 years.

Is it enough? Do they manage snow conditions well?
snow report
Mollerski wrote:
@Mr.Egg,

Its not even cheap anymore. It used to be good value, but has become a victim because of it & I agree its not an enjoyable resort. Busy Gondola that runs slower now than it did years ago. Dangerous people on the slopes with no clue to what they are doing. Lots of brits in negative equity because of broken promises, etc. Still... I do like the bulgarian food. Especially the taverns in the older part of town like baryakova & dedo tase. As you have been there many times, you know how all the money flows & locals other businesses priced out to the point of offering the smaller hotelier 1 euro per night per customer & expected them to put on breakfast as well!
snow report
Double Bombardino wrote:
@grimupnorth, I really don't like the concept of some being more equal than others via the VIP pass. Be a shame to see that concept spread more widely.

Really? By that logic we need to ban business class, airline loyalty programs and while we are at it any sort of consumer choice. Basically communism.

Do you make the choice to drive a better car or live in a bigger house than some others? Eat in a nice restaurant rather than get a big mac? The point is we have the choice to pay more to get more, and by default some are more equal than others when it comes to goods and services. That is how capitalism works, with all its benefits and flaws.

Reminds me of the time I was berated by a very angry woman when queueing to board an EasyJet flight, she took extreme offence that EasyJet Plus could board first, screaming "What happened to an equal society..." in my face. I replied that it was defeated in the cold war, and pointed out that the very fact she could afford to fly at all suggests she herself is better off than some others and is happy to benefit from an "unequal' society. Didn't seem to appreciate the insight....but I did invite her to move in front of me in the queue as "ladies first" which strangely she also took umbrage to!
latest report
@zikomo, I guess I should have made it clearer I was talking purely about paying for preferential rights to hop on ski lifts.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy