Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Jackets in sales

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Interesting, I didn't realise it was 28,000. I thought goretex had no rating (or rather infinite) in that it was totally water impermeable.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Gazzza, Got it from here

http://www.peakperformance.com/gb/gore-tex/material-guide-gore-tex.html
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Jonny996, The trouble with Sports Direct (and TK Maxx) is that there is gold but there is also a lot of fool's gold, things that look like a bargain given the brand reputation but are manufactured more cheaply with the associated reductions in process quality. If you know exactly what you're looking at, then go for it, otherwise I'd be cautious.

In my experience, the stuff on Sport Pursuit is genuinely what it purports to be, apart from watches where the £10,000 watch reduced to a mere £99 proved, after a minute's research, to be worth about £9.99.

Sport Pursuit does sell Tresspass and Dare2B too but I realise I'm sounding a bit evangelical.

I suppose it depends on where you are on the value scale. Given that I couldn't find anything that met my minimum requirements for under £80, a top of the range Sweet Protection jacket for £200 was a bit of a no-brainer. A price difference of £400-500 would not have been worth it, but the difference in quality for an extra £120 represents great value for me, even at just 1-2 weeks per year skiing.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
^ @Penry hits the nail on the head for me there. So far me the extra 140 notes on a 200 jacket has been well worth the extra for me, even as a two week a year rider. I wouldn't however have spent 500-600 on some of these arc'teryx jackets, or similar, you see in row n snock.
(though I think sport pursuit has a range of arc teryx stuff now too.)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gazzza wrote:
^ @Penry hits the nail on the head for me there. So far me the extra 140 notes on a 200 jacket has been well worth the extra for me, even as a two week a year rider. I wouldn't however have spent 500-600 on some of these arc'teryx jackets, or similar, you see in row n snock.
(though I think sport pursuit has a range of arc teryx stuff now too.)

I got a half price Arc'teryx jacket in the spring sales years ago, it's been superb.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Don't forget the durability aspect of value. I bought my Helly jacket 10 years ago now. Apart from some of the white on it like the cuffs not being pristine anymore, it's almost as good as new to be honest and it gets used 3 ski trips a year plus the odd usage in British winters. It was £100 in the Helly outlet shop sale in Cham. One of the best bits of kit I have ever purchased to be honest. I can see me getting another 10 years out of it at this rate.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
For reference Gore-Tex® has a waterproof rating of 28,000mm (the amount of rainfall a fabric can withstand in a single day)

The measure is not how much water it can stand in a day. The rating comes from stretching the material, putting a 1"x1" tube over it and seeing how many mm high you can fill the tube before it starts to let water through. So for a 10000 rated jacket you would have to fill the tube over 30ft before the water started to get through. If your skiing in rain that heavy you have bigger problems than getting wet!

Regardless how waterproof the coat is, the rating is pretty much useless without taped seams as water would get in. (Thats why goretex insists on taped seams).

Again, not saying goretex and more expensive coats are not better. Just think they are a bit overkill for most recreational couple of weeks a year skier. I've used a gortex mammut shell and a trespass 10k waterproof shell over the last few years and didn't really see any difference on regards to waterproof - but then I have not really pushed them as never rode in really heavy rain. Fine if you have the money, but for most of us we only have so much money to spend on snowsports per year.

Quote:
I thought goretex had no rating (or rather infinite) in that it was totally water impermeable.

If you want impermeable get one of those plastic ponchos to pit over the top wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The real test of a jacket is how water repellent it is after it's been washed for the first time. Some never seem to be as good regardless of what you treat them with.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I spent 8 years riding a 10k el cheapo shell jacket and trousers and I seem to recall being fairly wet on snowy days (let alone rain). If I had to sit down to strap in, my backside would get wet. I reproofed them a couple of times, but that seemed not to have much of an effect. My wife had the same experience with similar gear and was almost on the cusp of giving up. That was when I made the decision to buy some higher level goretex kit in the sales, now we’re comfortable riding in all conditions including rain. We go two weeks a year, sometimes three. Given the outlay for the trips, the fact that we can ride every day in all conditions makes using cheaper kit imho a bit of a false economy.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy