Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wearing a puffer gilet over a Ski Jacket?

Poster: A snowHead
I now use layering to achieve optimal warmth when skiing.
On the whole, this works very well.
I carry a lightweight puffer jacket in my backpack for when it gets super cold.
The only downside of this is that it requires me to remove clothing in adverse conditions in order to put it on.
This is far from ideal.
Do any of the experts amongst you have any words of wisdom regarding the option of wearing a puffer gilet over the top of my Norrona shell jacket? Making it the final top layer.
Obviously this would require no removal of clothes and would therefore be preferable.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Depends on the filling in the gilet, and it's outer fabric.

If filling=duck down/feathers...
It's great when dry.
Marginal if very sweaty
Useless, bordering on deadly, if wet.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Never tried it with a gilet, but has worked well nought or me in the past:

In fact if it's a thick down jacket it'll likely work better over the top than when compressed underneath.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You have to stop to take your pack off so I just pop the jacket off and back on once my SL goosey gillet is on.
Ladys may be more conscious but i see plenty of touring ladys that dont care less they just drop what ever they need to when they need too.

With a puffer full zip jacket if you have it pre 1/4 zipped up ready at top of your pack...... you can put it on far quicker an easier in wind if put on like a smock .
This stops having to find the sleaves with you off hand as they fly all over the place in the wind

If you do want to wear a puffer over a shell then why not I have seen Patagonia Rider josh dirksen doing so in promotional clips after a skin up before dropping in but I bet its just a short time before its damaged and it would work all the warmer under your shell.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The best way to stay warm in ultracold weather is to cover the main blood arteries of the neck and wrists.

They make a huge difference.

Much more than wearing a lifevest and looking like Michelin Man.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Tirol 164 wrote:
Ladys may be more conscious but i see plenty of touring ladys that dont care less they just drop what ever they need to when they need too.

Eh? Are they skiing in their underwear? I can't think of anyone who would be self-conscious about removing a jacket.

@FoofyNoo, I keep a very lightweight thin down jacket in my pack. I've only once had to put it on on the slope – it was quite windy but I was more concerned about my shell blowing away when I took it off. I don't think it would fit over the shell. I normally try and do my clothing faff in the lift instead, out of the wind.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
They are in underwear at huts end after skinning up they dont ski much its more touring training but all are very well prepared with clothing for alpine up or the down ,as they live in the alpine .
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@FoofyNoo, I’ve had the exact same thought - if it’s one of those days that having a glove off for a few seconds freezes your fingers in agony, I’ll be wearing a base layer, mid-layer, and shell. And I really won't want to remove the shell to put an insulated puffer jacket on while I stop for a snack for example. All of the 'systems' I see are the insulated puffer jacket below the shell. I'm looking to buy a new jacket, but this issue is putting me off spending £500 or whatever for a shell and insulated puffer jacket combo.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FoofyNoo wrote:
wearing a puffer gilet over the top of my Norrona shell jacket? Making it the final top layer.
Obviously this would require no removal of clothes and would therefore be preferable.

That's exactly what I do - works a treat on cold lifts, after lunch or just when its baltic brrrrr
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I use the 'overlayering' idea when I'm touring. I've found that both gilets and jackets work for this. If your shell has snow on it then it is best to use an 'overlayer' with synthetic insulation.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I know people use down jackets as midlayers but they are not optimal for this - the tight weave fabric required to keep the down in is very wind proof which does not aid venting/breathability. In GENERAL if it is cold enough to need a down layer it is not that wet (exceptions would include when you spend an hour immobile on a belay in a snow storm but that is not typical for skiing). Net net makes perfect sense to pull a down jacket on over your shell when you need the extra warmth.

I think a jacket rather than a gilet is optimal - sleeves make a big difference to retaining heat. Gilets DO make more sense as midlayers because the lack of sleeves allow venting which overcomes my initial point above. Most gilets are designed to be quite slim fitting too.

I have a very light down gilet (arcteryx, half price on sports pursuit Very Happy ) which I do use as a spare mid layer sometimes. And around the house when I'm feeling chilly. Despite everything I said I do wear it on top of a shell sometimes but on my commute to work. In cold weather I cycle with a merino base layer and a shell (warm enough when you are kicking out the watts) but if I have a wait for a train on a platform when I am sweaty I can get get cold - the gilet packs very small and provides a boost when I need it. A jacket would be even better but would take up more space living in my bike bag (and I use it perhaps one day in ten during the winter).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@jedster, also got my Marmot light Down Jacket half price on Sports Pursuit. Good site for quality ski gear at discount prices
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
For standard lift accessed skiing I don't take out any extra gear. I have a standard layering system which I sometimes ditch one layer if it's going to be especially warm. Or I may upgrade one of the layers if especially cold. Then during the day itself I use the pit zips in my jacket and thigh zips in my trousers to help regulate the temp. Plus I will use or not a neck warmer. On top of that I will remove hat and gloves at opportune moments to cool down.

Down jackets I find make me very warm/hot when exercising.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

me too. The value for me is when I stop moving after I have been moving!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
climbers often throw on a "belay" jacket when they have stopped and are cooling down, its usually thrown over the shell so goes on top of everything else. I'm sure a gilet would work the same, just for a much smaller area.
ski holidays
jedster wrote:
Quote:

But I guess I am pondering why anyone needs one for skiing...
latest report
Layne wrote:
jedster wrote:
Quote:

I've seen many people skiing in down ski jackets. That would leave me in a puddle of sweat, but I guess some people are colder than others.
snow report
Riding a long chairlift out of the sun at about -20 a couple of weeks ago, I had my down jacket and down overshorts on
ski holidays
Quote:

see above!
also drinks/lunch outside on cold, bluebird days
ski holidays
[quote="Layne"]
Quote:

I reckon probably one of the most important bits of safety gear you can have packed in your bag (for off piste)...
snow conditions
Fantastic information to ponder on.
Thanks all!
snow report
Arno wrote:
Riding a long chairlift out of the sun at about -20 a couple of weeks ago, I had my down jacket and down overshorts on

Rule 5 surely applies in this situation
ski holidays
jedster wrote:
Quote:

see above!
also drinks/lunch outside on cold, bluebird days

1) Not something I partake of.

2) If it's cold go inside - sunny or not.
ski holidays
[quote="JackSkier"]
Layne wrote:
Quote:

I reckon probably one of the most important bits of safety gear you can have packed in your bag (for off piste)...

Really!?
ski holidays
[quote="Layne"]
JackSkier wrote:
Layne wrote:
Quote:

Really!?

If someone is injured, they’d lose heat really quickly lying there in the snow.
latest report
As suggested on here, I have a reflective sheet in a pocket, folds up to the size of an A6 notebook, for emergencies.

I am also someone who uses zips and closures to vent or insulate accordingly, rather than carrying spare clothing.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy