Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tips to improve /speed up my transitioning?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
chaletgirl wrote:
Very very new to touring, why shouldn't you put skins on at home?

I don't know the science behind it, but they freeze to the ski and then leave the glue on the base when you rip them
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm not a very experienced ski tourer - just three hut to hut trips and ten day tours - but in my experience:

1. socks are much better than cheat sheets - especially if it is windy. I got some last season and they are great. Stick your arm into the sock, unclip/unpeel the tail a tad, grab it using the hand in the sock, pull 1/3 into the sock, fold the next third on one side and the final third on the other. no flapping, no unintentional sticking.

2. if the weather is cold/inclement always keep your skins warm once you have used them, you never know when you might need them again. Had a bit of a lesson recently when weather came in, the wind came up, we started our ski down only to get very nervous about the avalanche risk so needed to skin out again. Neither of us could get our skins to stick - cold wind/ light snow/spindrift quickly froze up the damp skins. In future if the weather is bad the skins will go down the front of my jacket/midlayer just in case

3. know how to deal with your tech toe pieces freezing up - again we both had problems in the bad weather but I was able to jam my narrow pole tip under the beast 14 toe spring to break out the ice that had formed. My mates plum toe piece sat slightly lower and that approach wouldn't work. He resorted to applying his mouth which could have gone wrong. Will be sorting out a sharpened tooth brush for the future

4. second the point about drawing lines on your boots to mark the centres of the tech fittings - really helps.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
https://www.genuineguidegear.com/life/video/climbing-skin-myth-putting-skins-home-vs-trailhead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
DB wrote:
https://www.genuineguidegear.com/life/video/climbing-skin-myth-putting-skins-home-vs-trailhead

Extra ten seconds to put skins on outside!!! I dream of taking a minute! LOL

Thank you both. It's not particularly cold at the mo, and my place isn't that warm, but I'll practice doing it outside from now to get into the habit. Although as I'm walking about 50m to the snow, I'm not sure the skins and skis will have changed much from the temp in the apartment. But I appreciate its good practice to do it right Smile x
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
.....now how to deal with your tech toe pieces freezing up - again we both had problems in the bad weather but I was able to jam my narrow pole tip under the beast 14 toe spring to break out the ice that had formed. My mates plum toe piece sat slightly lower and that approach wouldn't work. He resorted to applying his mouth which could have gone wrong. Will be sorting out a sharpened tooth brush for the future.....

A tech toe should always be 'cycled' a few times to clear snow/ice every time you transition or get in/out of a lift etc. The same applies for the heels if they're prone to icing and to framed touring bindings.

Tooth brush: https://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/2013-09-09-17-07-34/touring-binding-de-icing.html
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
BTW - any tips for releasing the heel riser on Beast 14 heels. At times I find them a real struggle.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Put your ski pole in behind the front section (between the front of the bar and the binding) and lever towards the back of the ski.

Dynafit don't tell you that in the instructions; I had to google it.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy