Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski socks

Poster: A snowHead
Not something I've paid loads of attention to but I think could be quite important!

I have a pair of quite thin ones, a couple that are quite thick and one pair sort of in between. I find the thin ones allow any minor pinch points to be easily felt, whilst the thick ones squash the toes a bit and generally make the boot a tad tight. The medium ones seem to be just right. But how do I know when buying on line.

Additionally I do suffer a bit from cold feet (doesn't everyone!?). Anybody any recs for socks that are particularly warm. I don't feel the need, or simply can't be @rsed, to go down the boot heater road.

Any other thoughts on socks!?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Always find Smartwool socks decent. Often on sale on sportspursuit
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jubnut wrote:

Are they thick, thin or medium?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I always use the thinnest pair at the start of the week, then increase in order of thickness - on the basis that the boot liner will compress slightly, or my feet spread slightly, over the week. Not sure if this is true, but it seems to work!

Like you I also have some thick ones that are a bit too tight - I should probably get rid of them.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My preference is thinnest possible socks and boots fitted by CEM / Solutions 4 Feet
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I would say medium.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I find the Smartwool socks a little bit itchy, and prefer Falke SK4's persobally. But either way, they're thin.

Rich
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@RichClark, hate to say, I have a wide variety of socks and by far my SK4s the best of all.

Some have been rescue purchases and are way too thick, of course.

Smartwools are pretty nice though.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I find the Smartwool socks wrinkle esecially round the toes and I find that I have to be careful to put yesterdays socks on the same feet today as the big toe deforms the sock a bit and exacerbates the problem. I'm going back to the Falke leftyrighty socks next year.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Having tried all sorts over the years, I have now opted for the thinnest silk socks I can find. They work perfectly for me. The thicker socks have all gone in the bin!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Actually, I believe my faves are SK 5s.

Who knew? I Liked the colours. Which have since faded...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I use Smartwool, in a Light....but they also do an Ultra Light, Medium and compression.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another smartwool fan, I always go for the ultra light - thinnest, but as Old Fartbag, says they do different degrees of thickness. The light have slight padding on shins IIRC and the medium are just a thicker version.

As mentioned often available on sale on sports pursuit and other sites. I've just stocked up on our recent trip as the pricing was silly Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Socks is all about volume, the ideal is to star as thin as possible then as the boot packs down you can increase gauge of stock to make up the difference, common misconception is that thicker socks are warmer, thicker might compress blood vessels thinnner is a bigger boot might allow motion.... the job of the sock is to one moisture, wool fibres move moisture well as they can store moisture up to 1/3 of its weight before it feels wet, man made fibre works by pulling moisture from the skin but needs somewhere for it to go, hot feet cold environment and the moisture moves, cold feet cold environment and it is a lot slower so wool them works better.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've tried oodles of different ski sock,but the best by far are
Helly Hanson Marino wool blend, available from TK-Max at 2 pairs for £10 sometimes £5
ski holidays
jubnut wrote:

not being a dick but I found smartwool to be far too 'structured' and because my foot wasn't their pre-determined shape, they didn't work for me at all.
latest report
Another vote for Falke SK4s from me.
snow conditions
Smartwool comfy but they wear holes extremely fast. Darn Tough is the king of socks for me now plus they'll replace them for free.
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, no idea how you've worn holes in them. I have pairs which are 10 years old now and still working fine without holes, they are a bit thinner with wear but perfectly good.

I'm a Smartwool fan, but do have a pair of thinner Falke socks that I use on the first day of a trip. Once my feet/boots get into it the slightly thicker Smartwool fits everything nicely. I find them warm, don't smell bad, and last (as above) a very long time.
ski holidays
I'm going to buck the trend with Icebreaker merino wool socks, though I have nothing against Smartwool. The Icebreaker ones are much better than the Salomon ones I use as emergency spares – they're not as good quality and don't hold their shape as well.
latest report
@Digger the dinosaur, both my Falke and Mico socks have holes. Falke took a few years, Mico on the second wear
snow conditions
Digger the dinosaur wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, no idea how you've worn holes in them......

As his room mate I'd suggest corrosion wink
ski holidays
spyderjon wrote:
Digger the dinosaur wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, no idea how you've worn holes in them......

As his room mate I'd suggest corrosion wink

or maybe just the moths that have escaped from my wallet...
latest report
I wear thin Smartwool socks. But, they are tight(ish) around the calf. If you're a tad wider than average in the calf I would avoid them.
snow report
i"m after a new pair of socks, i"m deciding between falke FK5, X-socks ultralight or thorlo ultra light ski liner.
snow report
I notice the SK4's have a wool option for an extra £5. Are they much warmer?
snow report
I buy mountain hiking socks, costs 3 times less and has extra padding on heel and toes. Perfect. Alsow use them in ice skates/blades.. They are a little shorter at the top, but enough for the boot...
latest report
DrLawn wrote:
I've tried oodles of different ski sock,but the best by far are
Helly Hanson Marino wool blend, available from TK-Max at 2 pairs for £10 sometimes £5

I currently swear by my merino wool blends, for lack of smelliness more than anything else. (Mine are a different brand, but presumably the principle is the same.)

Although admittedly I gave up using fatties a long time ago, I can't say that I notice any difference (arising from thickness) between thin socks and mediums socks.

With money to spend, invest it in upper body underlayer and midlayer before worrying about socks, IMO.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Falke SK4 for me.

We have access to a washing machine where we stay, so smelly socks are not a problem. The problem with most wool-rich socks is that they do not enjoy clothes dryers.

We try to minimise the wool gear we take with us, as it means hanging it up in the bathroom to dry after washing. As it is, with a few Icebreaker pieces, the bathroom smells like a wet dog on clothes washing nights.

Might not be an issue if you are only going for a week, but we used to go for a month, and that has now become 7 weeks. (Trying to talk the +1 into a season, but that is another story.)
latest report
Falke SK4s for me also, but two sizes smaller than my street shoe size, much more comfortable and no creases, they are actually pretty good for touring too. You can usually find them on sale for approx £14. I once bought a cheap pair of SK2s by mistake, they are a medium thickness and after an hour of skiing my feet were hurting so badly I gave up and went home.
latest report
Any views on SK4 - wool version or not?
snow report
Layne wrote:
... Any other thoughts on socks!?

Apparently the female versions are cheaper, for those of us with shapely legs.
snow report
X Socks are superb. My new favourite and they are cheap.

Just never let your missus tumble dry them Shocked
ski holidays
Compression socks tend to keep my feet the wamest! I have a very thin pair of ski socks which are similar to compression socks. (very old but branded Ultimax) I also have some compression running socks (branded More Mile), and a pair of operation TEDS measured to my calves and shin height socks which reduce cold toes incredibly well compared to other socks. (covidien)

How about these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kendall-Anti-Embolism-TED-Compression-Stockings-Thigh-Length-Pair-X-Large-S/323179854779?hash=item4b3f053bbb:g:EMMAAOSwRsJavqV0

should help get blood to your knees as well, and you can wear them on the plane too to reduce the chances of DVT.
ski holidays
@philwig, I got two pair of SK4 womens at a very cheap price last year. They come in a 41-42, whereas the mens come in at 40 - 41 and 42-43, and they do actually fit better than the mens 42-43s which I usually wear (I am a street shoe 44) as they sometimes get the odd crease underfoot on a second days wearing. Slightly shorter in the total length so come up to just below my knee but apart from that they seem to be identical.
snow report
@Layne, All my SK4s have the merino wool mix, I really rate them for comfort and toughness.
snow report
I've had various pair over the years, but now have the Crane Merino/Silk mix ones from the Aldi ski sale - no sniggering at the back - they were about £4 a pair if I recall and are really good. Incredible value if you can get hold of some.
ski holidays
dunc999 wrote:
I've had various pair over the years, but now have the Crane Merino/Silk mix ones from the Aldi ski sale - no sniggering at the back - they were about £4 a pair if I recall and are really good. Incredible value if you can get hold of some.

So I was all set to splash out on some SK4's for the season when the missus comes home with a pair of Aldi's socks. I was so impressed we got some more. I think they were 6.99/7.99. Worn them last week in France and along with my new boots were brilliant.
snow report
Just ordered some SK4's in a garish colour scheme on Sport Pursuit. 11.99 a pair, my smartwools are worn through, so a couple of pairs of these should see me good.
ski holidays
How do you know the thickness is right when buying socks on line?
Answer, stick to the same brand and type. I always buy Falke SK2’s. They were the socks I wore when I had my boot liners and shells heat moulded. Sk1’s are far too thick and cut off the circulation and are painful. I did try Aldi socks, but whilst they are only slightly thicker than my SK2’s; they are thick enough to make my feet hurt; so I replaced them with SK2’s

Shop around and look out for bargains. I just picked up a couple of pairs of SK2’s for £17 per pair from slush and rubble, with free shipping. Normally £24+.

I’m not saying buy SK2’s, I’m saying, buy the same socks you wore when you had your boots moulded. Or find a make and type that are comfortable and stick to them. Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy