Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Post avalanche - good info/tips

Poster: A snowHead
Some important tips here.

Looks like a combination of a very cool head and no small amount of luck saved his partner’s life.

https://gripped.com/news/skier-saved-from-deep-under-rockies-avalanche/
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yup, not often a small team can manage a rescue at that depth.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fascinating read, the "oh my god" feeling when the realization of a 4m burial hits must be hard to cope with!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I didn't understand how they got around the problem with not having a long-enough probe... was it just luck that they were digging in the right place? I suppose that if the beacon reading is accurate enough, then you can localize the right place at the surface to within a metre (say), and then dig a shallow-ish hole that's a metre diameter and then keep probing from the bottom of the hole. I guess I'm saying that when the guy says
Quote:
Have an idea of what you might do if the burial is deeper then your probe, I did what felt logical and it worked but I had never considered it before.

I'm still none the wiser of what the idea of what to do actually is!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I read it that their detectors gave a distance and a direction which the minimum reading have 4m straight down, so they went down there and did as you described. It sounds like they were lucky as well as sensible. His solution seems to be take a longer probe. But with what they had they did very well.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Pyremaniac, in the area of the lowest reading they dug out some snow, then probed again. Time consuming but if a 3m probe isn't long enough then reducing the amount you have to probe is about the next best thing.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Interesting read, thanks for sharing. Seems they did well for sure given what happened...glad to hear all are OK.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
4m down that's amazing statistically the story should have ended didferently
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
2 hrs to dig her out!!!

Just 2 people, without outside help.

Those were some amazing work!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Another post facto bit of "insight" from some idiot who possibly knew better. So tired of all these "experts" who, no surprise, wind up in you-know-what-creek and surviving, then, if surviving isn't good enough for them to do the right thing and shut up.........., lend "advice". Today another brain got a set of wings and a harp west of here (Snowmass) via his excellent adventure into the outback which, of course, he and his were knowledgeable of and fully prepared for.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
arcsinice wrote:
Another post facto bit of "insight" from some idiot who possibly knew better. So tired of all these "experts" who, no surprise, wind up in you-know-what-creek and surviving, then, if surviving isn't good enough for them to do the right thing and shut up.........., lend "advice". Today another brain got a set of wings and a harp west of here (Snowmass) via his excellent adventure into the outback which, of course, he and his were knowledgeable of and fully prepared for.

if you're tired of these things why click on them?
It may be a scare/wake up call or a nugget of info that helps prevent some not as knowledgeable as yourself get back home to their family after recreating in the mountains
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
arcsinice wrote:
.... So tired of all these "experts" .....

Being prepared to listen and learn, especially from experts is a strategy many of us find quite successful. Tiredness stems from many things, but less time spent on internet forums may help with that?

I thought it was a good video and very interesting - I'd certainly have tried to do what they did, but I'd have also had very little hope of success... yet they pulled it off.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
arcsinice wrote:
Another post facto bit of "insight" from ...

Troll alert: user has very low post count. So it's easy to do a quick search, which reveals he contributed nothing except cheap shots at random topic.

It could very well be Stanton's sock.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abc wrote:
arcsinice wrote:
Another post facto bit of "insight" from ...

Troll alert: user has very low post count. So it's easy to do a quick search, which reveals he contributed nothing except cheap shots at random topic.

Monumentally better my numerically low number of posts (I have better things to do) as opposed to your dilettante yammering high count annulus tug posts.............
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
abc wrote:

Laughing Must admit that it didn't occur to me that stanton might have a sock!

The mind boggles!
snow conditions
Is it the crusty one underneath his bed?
latest report
Wow that's a crazy story. I guess all I can do is pray to stay as level-headed as that guy in a situation like that.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy