Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Rosiere better Feb 2nd or March 9th?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Trying to decide between La Plagne and La Rosiere next year for 2 adults and a 5 year old. We've always gone away in mid-March as we're fair-weather skiers and like long leisurely sunny lunches on the mountain. We also want to be able to do walks and playing outdoors with the daughter without getting too cold. I'm leaning towards La Rosiere now, but need advice on whether to go on 2nd February or 9th March, as I'm aware the slopes there are south-facing and might suffer if it's a warm spring. When would you go? Also deciding between an apartment in Les Balcons de Rosiere as it's going to have a new swimming pool, and Cimes Blanches. Any advice either way there would be greatly appreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Either of those weeks would be good as they are not during French school holidays and snow conditions would normally be good at either time. If you are fair weather skiers I would go for the March date as it can get very cold in the wind there early season. Whilst la rosiere faces south it has a good snow record and you always have the option of popping over to la thuile for the north facing slopes there. Although if you want to ski in la thuile you would probably need to book your 5 year old in the ESF ski school plus lunch club on a couple of days to give yourselves enough time to get to Italy and back. there are also some new runs opening on the highest part of the la rosiere side for next season which should be fairly snow sure. There was an article in the telegraph recently about the new runs, changes in the resort.

I do not know what the new pool would be like at les balcons so cannot comment on that. The pool at cimes blanches is a good size. We have stayed there before but it was a while ago so I cannot comment on the current state of the facilities. Leaving aside pools I would say that cimes blanches looks considerably better in the photos and has things like cleaning included so is worth paying a marginally higher price for. Both residences are well located at the foot of the pistes. I would not book les balcons as it looks too basic - unless there are plans for it to be completely refurbished.

We went on the Eurostar direct service when we went there and would recommend that with a 5 yr old. My kids used to love going skiing by train before we bought our own kit and ended up driving more. I'd also recommend Peak Retreats if you are looking for a TO to book through.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@oldschool72, if this is purely a when will it be warmer question March 9th is a clear winner.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've been both those weeks to La Roz funnily enough - the March I went was warm in resort so a bit slushy in afternoon in resort and Fontaine Froide after lunch - but it meant we got great face tans that week and for a long lunch lover it was heavenly as La Roz and La Thuile do have some great stops.
The Feb was also good for 5 days: but we had two white outs with big dumps and one was accompanied by La Roz's famous strong wind and skiing in it was not for the faint hearted as it was raw and the snow was hitting you sideways and stung. My party are all die hard, "squeeze every bit of time out" and the wind even forced us indoors.
I love La Roz though - great resort with pots of great skiing when combined with La Thuile and it's good blacks.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy