Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Head raptor replacement

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've skied on a pair of 28.5 Head Raptor boots for about 10 years now, and they've always been comfortable like a pair of socks until now. They are (used to be) around 130 flex.

The liners have finally started to fail, and started to rub my heels, so nearly left them in Val Thorens last week!

The boots have had no adjustments made to them, and the custom moulded foot beds seem fine still. So really I'm looking for a like for like replacement.
I've had a chat at Rivington alpine a few years ago with Graham while he equipped [b]@wigan[b] with zipfits. He mentioned they don't dare to change the shape of these boots, and a few manufacturers actually make the exact same shape.

So I'm really looking for which brands and models are still the same as my 07/08ish 285 Head Raptor 130s? I might actually be able to go for 280 as they're the same shell as 285, and my Scarpa tx pro telemark boots are 280.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Out of interest Ronald... why not another pair of Raptors?

Sorry to state the obvious
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@dp, I'd have no problems with another set of raptors, but knowing which the other equivalent boots are might help bagging a bargain. Though 300 odd Euro isn't bad.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
How good are the shells? What about adding a pair of Zipfits? They'll feel like new boots, but a cheaper option.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I’ve been skiing 28.0 raptors for what feels like forever now, at least 8 years and I replace them with another set of raptors each year. Personally, I get Colin at solutions for feet to make the usual modifications inside and then drop my zip fits inside them, this fills out the heel box which is a little too large as standard for me.

I think I need to get my zipfits re filled this year.

I was considering switching brands this season to see if there is another level to the fit that these boots give me but the way they flex suits my ankle movement so well that I don’t think I should.

The reason I was considered changing is that sometimes I think I’m hanging too much on the front of the boot and not standing tall enough.

Doesn’t really answer your question OP but I would tend to stick with what you know and buy another set.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@rob@rar, 10 years and who knows how many weeks... Probably closer to two full time seasons worth!
Really not sure the shells are worth saving as they do age.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Dave SnowPros, helpful answer nonetheless, as you pretty much confirm the raptors haven't changed
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy