Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski lesson recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Morning all!,

So... The other half is considering trying out skiing again.

She went away on a trip with a large number of people when she was younger and just hated it!... Think it was a case of 1 instructor between at least 15 people and the instructor was a bit of a tool.

She's up for me getting her some skiing lessons for her birthday (this month).

We live in Leicester so can just as easily get to a couple of fridges. Does anyone have any recommendations for someone to get some lessons booked with?, looking for someone really enthusiastic to try and get her into it again and get a fresh start!.

Thank you in advance.

Daniel
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Disclaimer; I’m talking about my favourite resort and a very good friend of mine - so bias guaranteed

I would suggest going to Zermatt and if you PM me I’ll put you in touch with the best ski instructor I know. Not the best skier - but the best instructor - because he can read people and changes his teaching to suit the client. He is also amazing at getting to the root of the problem, rather than just talking about the symptoms. He used to be the Director of European Snowsports (one of the big Zermatt ski schools) but is now semi-retired - but taking a small number of private clients.

He managed to get a completely non-sporty, no balance and speed phobic friend of mine skiing - and loving it - and I really thought it was impossible after two failed attempts when we were all together on a group trip.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@SnowBeau, go to Tamworth and do the Learn to Ski in a Day course as a starting point https://www.snowdome.co.uk/ski-snowboard/ski-lessons/beginner-lessons/adult-learn-to-ski-in-a-day/

If she went with school then the first bit may be more of a refresher than learning but by the end of the day she should be able to ski from the top. After that, you'll have a better idea of what her confidence/ability level is and you can go regularly for practice together or join their other lessons.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
As an aside to the poster above ^ ..my friends did one of these at Braehead , one found it useful, the other found it a complete waste of time. Too many people on the course meant endless time spent watching complete beginners being picked up, untangling their feet, getting skis back on etc... perhaps the turn in the weather might mean fewer attendees , but I feel a shorter , private lesson might be a better option.
Having said that, I note that Braehead have a deal on, so other fridges might well be doing the same.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Blackblade, Is Zermatt near Leicester? Puzzled
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@SnowBeau, sorry no recommendations on who to get lessons with but I have/am in your shoes, my wife doesn't ski & while it doesn't stop family ski holidays, they would be so much better if she could ski. She has decided to learn & she done the course/class thing & it was a disaster, put her back a year.
What we have learnt it get 2 private lessons so she can basic plough, then go with her to support (help her up when she falls) her while she practices, then do a another private lesson.
We work it 1 private week, then 2 practice weeks, repeat. if you do this over the summer she should be good for green & blue's by winter
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
On private re group, as it sounds like a "head thing" rather than anything else, I'd suggest private lessons with someone suitably experienced and qualified. I don't know how easy they are to find in fridges.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@under a new name,
Quote:

I'd suggest private lessons with someone suitably experienced and qualified. I don't know how easy they are to find in fridges.

Very easy at Hemel - Inside Out Skiing and be sure to quote snowHeads, I think there's a discount available on first signing up (though not certain about that). Highly recommended. . http://www.insideoutskiing.com/private.html
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Hurtle, near Leicester?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@under a new name, easy via M1, lots of IOS clients travel further than that.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Hurtle, Fair enough then. My geography of England is not strong.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Hurtle, Thanks Hurtle, Inside Out look great, although they don't cover lessons beginners which is a shame!... But i might take a look at some of their lessons for further development for myself ha.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@SnowBeau, sorry, I knew that they didn't teach beginners in groups, but didn't reslise thst restriction applied to private lessons. Confused
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@SnowBeau, they might be able to recommend someone else. Worth getting in touch.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Hurtle, the nursery slope is generally reserved for The Snow Centre's own instructors, and all lesson on the slope need to be scheduled so space can be reserved. Inside Out's entry point to our coaching is people who can ski from the top of the man slope under control.

@SnowBeau, we'd be happy to recommend an instructor at The Snow Centre if you were planning on booking private lessons for her. Just send us an email via our website. We'd also be very happy answer any questions you have about your own development.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 9-05-18 8:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@Blackblade, Is Zermatt near Leicester? Puzzled

Depends on your definition of ‘near’ Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
@rob@rar, ah. Understood.
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
@Hurtle, Inside Out's entry point to our coaching is people who can ski from the top of the man slope under control.

Good to see that you're still fighting the good fight against the malign onslaught of political correctness gone mad. I would have thought the professionally offended would have jumped all over your use of the term 'man slope', so good for you for resisting. How do you refer to the other slope? The girlie slope? The shandy drinkers slope?

Keep up the good work and don't let the buggers grind you down.

Yours in admiration etc...
ski holidays
@Penry, Laughing Laughing
snow report
Look at Tamworth and the ski in a day. I did mine there quite a few years ago and it was a good start. It's the right time if year as the prices drop and group sizes tend to be smaller over the summer when non-skiers are thinking about sunny hols rather than winter ones. Once they're at the level to be safe skiing top to bottom and using the lifts you can then get a bit of recreational practice on your own before hols
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy