Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Marker F12 vs Salomon/Atomic Shift bindings

Poster: A snowHead
I own 2 sets of skis

Nordica Enforcer 100s with Marker F12 bindings
Line Sick Day Tourists with Diamir Vipec bindings
My first skinning experience was with the former and I struggled ..... so the next year I bought the latter.
The Line/Vipec combination proved much better for the up ... but the Enforcers are SO much better for the down.
I had thought that it was the total weight that was causing me difficulties ... BUT ... listening to an excellent interview with Cody Townsend and others about the new Salomon/Atomic Shift binding, I may have modified my opinion.

http://blistergearreview.com/at-binding-reviews/the-new-salomon-slab-shift-mnc-ep-3

During the discussion it was suggested that the problem with a frame binding like the Marker Tour F12 is that you are lifting practically the whole binding with your boot with every step. With a pin binding you are only lifting your boot.
Their opinion was that this made more difference than the weight of ski.... interesting.
Do you think that if I replaced my F12s with a pair of Shifts that it would make a significant difference to my uphill performance?
I know my downhill joy would be increased greatly with the Enforcers and, what is for all extents and purposes, an alpine binding.

I have to mention that I am not an out and out tour-er .... for me skinning is more a method of finding better snow. Anything over 2 hours and I am losing interest a bit.

Any thoughts?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
FoofyNoo wrote:

During the discussion it was suggested that the problem with a frame binding like the Marker Tour F12 is that you are lifting practically the whole binding with your boot with every step. With a pin binding you are only lifting your boot.
Their opinion was that this made more difference than the weight of ski.... interesting.
Do you think that if I replaced my F12s with a pair of Shifts that it would make a significant difference to my uphill performance?
I know my downhill joy would be increased greatly with the Enforcers and, what is for all extents and purposes, an alpine binding.

This is pretty common knowledge, and yes they would wink It's like lifting ~500g more or less with every step.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Plus a tech toe has a more natural pivot point than a frame binding which makes the 'stride' easier.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
clarky999 wrote:
This is pretty common knowledge, and yes they would wink It's like lifting ~500g more or less with every step.

Strangely, considering I am somewhat obsessed, in all my internet trawling I have never heard this expressed. Especially as it is a fundamental flaw.
Now, of course, it makes complete sense to me.
Thank you.

So ... off with the Markers ... on with the Shifts ...

Anyone know what the UK price will be? Spyderjon?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not cheap!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Of course they aren't ..... any bit of skiing gear I want seems to be super expensive!
I have managed to persuade myself that these things are a necessity rather than a luxury ... it seems to make it easier to part with the cash .....,
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@FoofyNoo, I've PM'd you.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The UK list price for the Shift is £400 which is quite a bit less than the competition. And I'm doing a great pre-order deal on Shifts wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
^^^ It’s a GREAT deal 🤫
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks Jon
Can't wait to try them out.
Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Very interested in picking up a set of these, @spyderjon, will you be stocking them?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BlueNoseBear wrote:
Very interested in picking up a set of these, @spyderjon, will you be stocking them?

Yep, but demand is likely to outstrip supply so PM me if you want to be added to my waiting list.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BlueNoseBear wrote:

Yep, but demand is likely to outstrip supply so PM me if you want to be added to my list as I've already sold over 50% of my stock allocation.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon wrote:
BlueNoseBear wrote:

Yep, but demand is likely to outstrip supply so PM me if you want to be added to my list as I've already sold over 50% of my stock allocation.

Ideal thanks, PM sent
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@spyderjon, how much will they be? ... and where are you located?
Paul
snow conditions
MrP wrote:
@spyderjon, how much will they be? ... and where are you located?
Paul

I'm in Nottingham - well just outside of town on the east side to be precise. Click on the highlighted link in my signature below.

If everyone on my Shift waiting/pre-order list buys them then I will have sold all of my allocation before they arrive. This evening I've emailed everyone on my waiting/pre-order list asking them to confirm their requirments by return so I should know if I'll have any spare in the next few days.

And I'm first in the queue with Salomon for additional bindings as/when they become available.

If you PM/email me with your full contact details & requirments I'll get back to you as soon as I know the availability etc.
latest report
Thanks.. let me know.. can you also fit if I send my skis up to you? Will need 100mm brake to fit on some Bc Camox.
let me know if get some spares!
Cheers

Paul

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 13-08-18 9:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
My email address is.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 13-08-18 9:40; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@MrP, I've made a note of your details and will get back to you soonest. No problem sending your skis up for mounting etc.

And I'd recommend editing your two posts above to remove your contact details before the bots get you!
ski holidays
@MrP, I've just heard back from Salomon and I've got some more 100mm Shifts coming on the 20th Nov. I'll email you this afternoon with the details.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy