Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs... which bit should I stay in?

Poster: A snowHead
I'd love some advice. Making first trip to Les Arcs in Feb 2019.

Two families with teenagers looking for separate accommodation but close by. Group skiing ability intermediate through to expert (not me!).

Which village / town bit should we stay in?

Primary concern = enough for the teenagers to do in the evenings (14-18 so nightclubs not essential Shocked )
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tignes! wink

More seriously, I'd go for 1950. Good access to the snow, pretty village (if very "Disney"!) and decent facilities. Probably best to stay in a "residence" with pool, spa, etc.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
another for 1950, its a great ski in / ski out option, and here's my trip report from a couple of years ago

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2871503&highlight=1950#2871503
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
1950 accommodation is typically a bit more expensive that the other bits of Les Arcs, but it is very nice and all offers a ski in/out location. I'd say that there's a bit more apres-ski suitable for teenagers in Arc 1800, but not a huge amount more than 1600 or 1950. There is plenty of ski in/out accommodation in 1600 and 1800 if you choose carefully.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@stevomcd yes with you there push them out the door in Val Claret job done. Tignes was visited in 2017 so apparently cannot be on shortlist Puzzled

@sack thank you will have a read

rob@rar thank you - are the apres gains so marginal as can be ignored or will discerning teenagers say ah but by choosing 1950 we are missing out on “insertnameoffashionablebar”? Sad

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 10-05-18 21:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Spin Doctor wrote:
rob@rar thank you - are the apres gains so marginal as can be ignored or will discerning teenagers say ah but by choosing 1950 we are missing out on “insertnameoffashionablebar”? Sad
Difficult to say for certain (not having been a teenager for some time, or having skied with teenagers), but I'd say there is more choice in 1800 just by virtue of the number of venues. Whether that's a dealbreaker it's hard for me to comment on.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar thank you there is no correct answer only opinion. At least by seeking wisdom of snowHead I will have defensible position of sourcing expert advice when inevitably being grilled on day 3 over why chose resort area with X over resort area with Y
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Spin Doctor, I have my own apartment in Arc 1600 and I really like the place. The teanagers play pool and bar footie in the avri bar until quite late, but it very French ie the kids are brilliant at bar footie and rubbish at pool.

Having said that I would go for Arc 1800 mainly because of Mile8 with its sledging course, early eveming ski cross and of course the pool.

@stevomcd, has a point about Tignes with its indoor climbing wall etc.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd go with @rob@rar, on 1800 and we were there this March with my two of 11 and 14 years. With the two of them being too young really to be out for evening life on their own, never the less they loved it.

We stayed at Charmettoger area at top of Dahu lift which can be used to late evening (daughter a skier but could practice snowboarding) mile8, toboggan, skicross course plus donuts onto the big airbag were a big hit. Big community pool as well, alot of things to do and great area to let them find their feet and feel a little independent.

Loads of places to use in the evening, my two have mostly been to smaller ski villages and found 1800 great to explore.

I do like all the areas of Les Arcs and originally first skied from 2000 but believe the 1800 village is ideal fit for what you ask.

I know you can do it from other sectors, but along with my son we went out one morning with the pistuers for before opening skiing, it was superb. The small gondola lift serving mile8 runs until 7.30pm so you get a long active day for those that want it.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Edit for above/last post ;

It's not Charmettoger area of village but Chantel section of the village and lays just up the slopes from main commercial area.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ski3 wrote:
... Chantel section of the village and lays just up the slopes from main commercial area.
Chantel area is very nice (I have an apartment there), but it's not as ultra convenient for apres-ski as being located in Arc 1950, for example. It's a bit of a schlep down the hill to get to the centre of the village, either walking down the piste, taking the free shuttle bus (which is a 2 minute journey) or using the (free) pedestrian lift which links Chantel with the centre of 1800. The location is not so out of the way that it's a dealbreaker IMO, not least because I think that's where most of the nicer self-catering accommodation is, but it's not as convenient as Arc 1950 where all of the village is a short walk from your front door.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Spin Doctor, (declared: apartment owner in 1950)

The apres in 1950 is a little limited, 4 bars only to choose from (and if George is in a grumpy mood then possibly 3!) but easily supplemented by the bars in 2000 used by many of the seasonnaires who live up the hill in the cheaper accommodation. So places that the teenagers will have heard of on social media. The advantages are as others above have said: that everything is close by, you can self cater or spend the evenings in the restaurants, it is genuinely ski in/out and there are pools (indoor and outdoor) saunas, gym etc.etc.

Of course all of us are going to extol the virtues of our own choices: the only downside I've heard from people we've invited / sent to 1950 is that families stop looking to go elsewhere, as they know they can't get better.. ( wink )
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd definitely recommend 1800, with a little bit of research on apartments you wil end up in a block which is ski in and out, unless the snow is very very bad, and you have a much wider range of choice for apres (be that restaurants, bars, shops or other activities) than in the other stations.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thank you everyone! Extremely grateful. Now in the hands of Mrs Spin...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Personally I prefer Les Arcs (2000 and 1950) are the better ones really, but with your children I think there's probably more for them in the La Plagne side. The skiing around all of the Paradiski area is brilliant, so you don't need to worry about it from that perspective.
snow conditions
My teens like Arc 2000 best and we do not own accommodation in Les Arcs Toofy Grin I'd recommend La Cime des Arcs which is ski to and from the door but in the centre of the village. I think there is an ice rink and bowling nearby but my two liked the night skiing (twice a week) best. La Cime des arcs has a small pool, steam room etc. Arc 1950 can be reached by gondola all evening so you can enjoy the best of both villages. We tend to ski early or late season and the snow is noticeably better at Arc 2000 vs Arc 1800 then. If you are going mid season Arc 1800 would probably be a good choice too. We prefer the skiing on the Les Arcs side (vs la plagne) but you can easily do day trips to La plagne if your kids are confident skiers.
snow report
I didn't think there was much for my 15 yo this year for activity outside of skiing in 1950 so although I love the place, and will be back next year, so I wonder if one of the other locations would be better. Interestingly reading the replies maybe we needed to look a bit more. Skiing wise I preferred it over by Vallandry so we tended to head over there most days first thing and then 2000 bowl in the afternoon (this was Easter this year).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy