Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski areas like courchevel - funnel like?

Poster: A snowHead
juno wrote:
Although most people are being genuinely helpful, there seem to be a few responses here that suggest that people don't understand the nature of panic/anxiety and that basically amount to "just don't be anxious about it". Speaking as a fellow anxiety sufferer - not helpful, guys.

I think people are trying to understand exactly what the anxiety is about. Without understanding that, it's difficult to offer the most helpful responses. It would be good if the OP could respond to the questions Layne and others asked, as then we'll be able to help more. For e.g., is the anxiety being able to get back to the accommodation by any means, in which case buses help or does it need to be on skis?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
on another thread the OP said they self cater and go back for lunch so that might help....or just give up if she's not coming back (which is very annoying when people do that)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Perhaps she's not coming back 'cos she's lost?

Sorry.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 31-05-18 13:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@SnoodlesMcFlude exactly, it's an irrational thing, it doesn't necessarily make sense. I'm quite happy chatting to people on the phone but it takes me forever to pick up the phone and make the call in the first place - that makes no sense, but no amount of people telling me "you just need to get on with it" is going to make it any easier for me to do. I get that people can't necessarily relate, I just think a bit more understanding that not everyone is the same would be nice.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
juno wrote:
Although most people are being genuinely helpful, there seem to be a few responses here that suggest that people don't understand the nature of panic/anxiety and that basically amount to "just don't be anxious about it". Speaking as a fellow anxiety sufferer - not helpful, guys.

While it looks like the OP has buggered off the reason for trying to understand the nature of the anxiety if to better tailor the advice - if the anxiety is so extreme that only Courchevel mitigates it then only Courchevel is the answer. On the other hand there are plenty of places with ski in accomodation if the OP doesn't demand the whole resort is ski in, others will have plenty of ski in but you'll need to approach from the right direction which may not help if the OP "needs" to be able to ski in direct from anywhere they might be. If the OP is happy with a bus as a failsafe or a late running lift then it offers up many more options.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Morzine might fit the bill. It's linked to a much wider area, but even if you only went to the Morzine, Les Gets, Avoriaz or Chatel areas, that's still a decent amount of mileage. In any of those sectors, even if you missed the last lift back over to Morzine, the ski bus takes you back to the resort. (Or a relatively short taxi ride).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hemel
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@juno, the problem is that the question is somewhat poorly formed.

Courchevel, as such, doesn't funnel back to base if you've skied over to Meribel for example.

Champoluc as an alternative, as long as you're on the Champoluc side of the Col, you're fine as long as the lifts are running (and you don't go the wrong way (which would be equally true of Courchevel)).

So the OP question sort of reduces to, "If I don't do the thing that makes me anxious, where can I go?". Well anywhere you can choose not to do that thing.

Obviously.

You then get in to other constraints e.g. ski in and out which adds additional complexity as there isn't that much true ski in and out around.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kuhtai - everything comes back to the village
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I am so sorry for dissapearing for so long after asking this question. I certainly didn't intent to 'bug off'. Life just got in the way of far more important things like planning next winters ski holiday. Wink

It sounds like i should have been more clear. Anxiety is a very complex issue as anyone who has experienced it will understand. I am a completely normal, fully functioning human being with a small issue that i'm working on getting to the bottom of right now. But as with all mental health (hate that phrase!) issues, its not as easy as it sounds. Its also an issue that i find quite embarrassing so i tend not to go into more detail than i need to.

So, the problem for me is being stuck somewhere if i have a panic attack (nothing to do with the time of day) and not easily being able to get back to where i want to be. Lifts can be an issue when im having a bad day but i tent to be able to cope when i know it is a short time that i need to be ok for. However, if i know that in order to get 'home' i will need to get back on a lift for a length of time, this can be enough to turn anxiety into a full blown panic attack. As an example, a couple of years ago my husband and I skied from Morillon to Les Carroz. We had skied all over the area several times during the week but on this day the anxiety kicked in and I couldn't get back. I had to ride out the panic attack sitting on a bench at the top of one of the lifts until time ran out (kids ski school in morillon!) and i had to ski down to get a lift back out to morillon. It sounds simple enough but its the most horrendous feeling that can have an affect of all systems in your body. In every day life i work hard to not let it restrict me and make my world small but for one week holiday once a year doing what i love more than anything, we decided that we'd make life a little bit easier and try to find a resort that makes me comfortable.

I totally understand the small resort comments, but we are good skiers and love a range of options - and lots of the time im fine and we can ski down to La Tania or over to 1650 (to use the Courchevel example) but I need to be able to make these decisions in that moment. So the option to have a good ski area that I could bale from at a moments notice is key for now - hopefully not forever though!

I hope this has gone some way to explain what I was asking.

A big thank you to everyone for your resort suggestions, I am going to have a good look at all of them. x
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
juno wrote:

Id really like to thank you for this post. Its a tricky issue that is so hard for anyone who hasn't experienced it to understand. And also very difficult to explain to people.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to be able to just not be anxious about it!

Thank you x
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@breeze11, ah. Now THAT makes a whole load of sense. (It’s not a question, in my mind, of mental health but of mental fitness surely?).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@breeze11, thanks for coming back and giving us further explanation. Perhaps an option to look at and consider is going somewhere that has road accessibility to several smaller but challenging ski areas. I am thinking perhaps Chamonix or many areas of Austria. Would the anxiety go if you can get back to a car/bus/town.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Switched to bigger keyboard.

So, really what you want (correct me if I have misinterpreted) you would ideally have one big funnelling bowl, which in and of itself offered good options, but maybe with options to go further afield should the inclination take you?

One thought which comes with the advantages of Italian hospitality would be Gressonney Stafal. Reliable snow cover to hamlet (?~ 1,600m). Champoluc side not so much variety. Alagna side lots of interesting little rabbit runs and Punta Indren bowl if you like quasi controlled off piste.

Verbier also would seem to suit without thinking too hard about it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
breeze11 wrote:

Id really like to thank you for this post. Its a tricky issue that is so hard for anyone who hasn't experienced it to understand. And also very difficult to explain to people.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to be able to just not be anxious about it!

Thank you x

Agree, it would be lovely just to be able to switch it off - even my husband will on occasion say "don't panic about it" or variations thereof - and he has long-standing depression issues and would hit the roof if I told him to "cheer up"! I totally get where you're coming from - I have similar coping mechanisms elsewhere in life that probably seem ridiculous to people that don't suffer from anxiety. Out of interest, have you ever had CBT for anxiety? I found it very helpful in managing the runaway brain Smile
latest report
@breeze11, makes a lot more sense, thanks for clarifying. I can be a bit blasé about getting around a mountain so find it difficult to relate to.

If you don't mind hopping on a bus then Tignes could be an option, as could somewhere like Livigno (as I mentioned earlier). Neither are necessarily bowl shaped, but you can easily descend from most places and then get a bus. The latter would probably give you the most terrain that you could ski without needing to catch more than one lift to get home/to a bus stop.
snow report
I still reckon La Toussuire is as good as it gets.

snow conditions
Flaine is a good option, or Tignes - as long as you stay in the main resort area, you can pretty much see base at all times
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy