Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

7 Reasons Why Alpe d'Huez Should Be Your Next Ski Destination

Poster: A snowHead
leggyblonde wrote:
@Alpinebear, that's pretty irrelevant for a ski holiday though

Ask the skiers in the winter who ask about hiring a bike just to try the climb
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
is it possible to hire a bike in winter then?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Alpinebear, @iainm, mental if so. Cold, icy tarmac. Fools.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
leggyblonde wrote:

Usually just to cycle up. As you said pretty dangerous to descend.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
iainm wrote:
is it possible to hire a bike in winter then?

Depends on shop really. Let me know if you fancy and I'll put you in touch with a few shops
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Alpinebear, Perfectly possible to crash on black ice riding up a hill. I guess late season early afternoons would be OK but rather them than me!

Slightly more on topic, I've only been in Summer to race the Megavalanche and I would like to snowboard that run just to have done it but AdH itself has never appealed as a destination in winter for some reason.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Pruman, depends on your POV as to whether Stelvio is more famous. I'd say that it was relatively unknown until Top Gear went there, then all car people seem to love it. Never understood the fascination, flowing roads are fun to drive, hairpins are a complete bore and generally hard work.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alpinebear wrote:
leggyblonde wrote:

Usually just to cycle up. As you said pretty dangerous to descend.

It is usually ok in the winter to ride both up and down. The road gets a lot of sun so as long as you are not riding early in the day or after snow or rain. People do live and cycle in the Alps all year round. I've only cycled it once in winter (in January) and the road was completely safe and a lot more pleasant temperature wise compared to July. The best months for cycling though are probably May/June (not this year, it has rained none stop) and the autumn: September/October when there is very little traffic and temperatures are less crazy.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just my 2p worth as I've been to ADH a number of times...

First of all, like many large domains it's worth splitting out what it offers ski wise and what the towns and villages offer.

I've only stayed in the main town of ADH once, every other time I have stayed in Oz-en-Oisans. I prefer satellite villages to the main towns because they suit my needs better. I don't much apres wise and access by car - so parking, availability of a decent priced apartment and access to the slopes are the most important things for me. For others it's completely the opposite. They want other things to do and plenty of bars and restaurants.

In terms of skiing ADH is a very good place to go IMO. The piste skiing is much and varied. It has it's iconic piste - the Tunnel/Sarenne equivalent say of the Grand Couloir in 3V or Aiguille Rouge in Les Arcs. It's challenging runs - La Face, the skiing of Rousses, down to Oz, from Clocher De Macle. It's easier runs, Chalet, down to Montfrais, off Signal, the open bowl above ADH itself - and it's little oddity of Auris. The lift served off piste is very good. You can arguably do better, after our last trip we kind of decided that would be it for a while but you can certainly do a lot worse.

The town itself does for sure have plenty of 'other things' do do. And if you need that it's certainly an attractive option. Though I wouldn't say it's unique in many of them.

Just going back to the OP's 7 things:

#Tomorrowland - very niche, it's just one week so not really a reason

#Sarenne - ahhh, kind of... there is plenty of things to highlight skiing wise though, as mentioned above

#Hairpins - nah, that's not a reason

#Variety - yep, give it that

#Weather - nope, I've not found the weather any better or worse than anywhere else

#Apres - can't say but suspect it can hold it's own

#Getting there - it's OK, I wouldn't say it was a reason

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 8-06-18 10:19; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Layne Very subjective and to the point. Fair play.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think Tomorrowland is signed up for the next three or five years so definitely a reason due to the scale and who is playing.

The Stelvio I'm sure is a great climb but Alpe D'Huez is a mecca for cyclists!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
L' Alpe d'Huez is, indeed, a Mecca for cyclists...without an in-depth knowledge of cycling... and for those sucked in to the "ADH is one of the hardest climbs in the world" nonsense. It isn't. At all. I know, I've done it: the first 3.5/4km are hard, but no harder than many other climbs i've done; the rest is "standard french climb" and, tbh, nothing to write home about. The Stelvio is FAR harder; steeper; longer; higher; more spectacular; loads more hairpins; older; etc, etc. Just like the Giro compared with the Tour, really - but don't tell ASO....
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
janny wrote:
L' Alpe d'Huez is, indeed, a Mecca for cyclists...without an in-depth knowledge of cycling... and for those sucked in to the "ADH is one of the hardest climbs in the world" nonsense. It isn't. At all. I know, I've done it: the first 3.5/4km are hard, but no harder than many other climbs i've done; the rest is "standard french climb" and, tbh, nothing to write home about. The Stelvio is FAR harder; steeper; longer; higher; more spectacular; loads more hairpins; older; etc, etc. Just like the Giro compared with the Tour, really - but don't tell ASO....

Living here I have yet to hear 'ADH is one of the hardest climbs in the world' People want to ride it because of the history, the 21 hairpins, the spectacular views and to test themselves on one of the legendary climbs of the TDF. It's a tough climb but for me the Galibier and Mount Ventoux are tougher. It's all about opinions thats why people want to try it!

http://youtube.com/v/nMagUeSXlkQ
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It does have some attractions, but afraid I wouldn't choose it as my next ski-ing destination - I can think of a number of resorts that I would put above Alpe d'Huez on my list of favourites...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Alpinebear wrote:
I think Tomorrowland is signed up for the next three or five years so definitely a reason due to the scale and who is playing.

I haven't read anywhere about it being a 3 or 5 year deal. Only about 2019. Do you have a link?

It is certainly an interesting event and no doubt it will create interest but it won't attract families or middle-aged groups - or indeed young hipsters who aren't into dance music. So to be clear great event, well done for them putting it on and I'm sure it will garner support the week itself and create a bit of publicity for the area. Whether it is "Reasons Why Alpe d'Huez Should Be Your Next Ski Destination" I would still question.
ski holidays
stephen buck wrote:
It does have some attractions, but afraid I wouldn't choose it as my next ski-ing destination - I can think of a number of resorts that I would put above Alpe d'Huez on my list of favourites...

Out of interest which ones and why?

Currently (family of 4) ski mostly in France - because we like the concept of driving, apartment, ski in/ski out, medium to large areas, lift accessed off piste, etc. Though I realise Austria is still an option for this and we have done some skiing in Austria before kids but it's harder to meet the concept as described. And in France Paradiski is our go to for cost, access, skiing. 3V is good but struggle to get the same value cost wise. Espace Killy is a bit more of a slep, parking and cost more of an issue. Cham is too inconvenient, Serre, not sure - been once before kids, didn't blow me away. Haven't been PDS - see no reason why I would choose it over Paradiski/3V. Going smaller, Les Contamines was great but when/whether I go again... none of the Maurienne resorts are really big or challenging enough though we had a decent enough week in La Norma when the kids are younger. Not yet been convinced enough to go to Ste Foy, La Ros though they have their attractions. LDA is a marmite place. ADH ticks quite a few boxes in comparison with many IMO (if we stick to France and what France kinda stands for).
snow report
@Layne, you're hitting the nail on the head - it and its satellites are good mid-tier French resorts. Unless you are in the habit of skiing home for lunch I do think a ski in/out requirement is the biggest constraint - there are plenty of lovely Austrian appartments by ski bus stops for instance.
snow conditions
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
@Layne, you're hitting the nail on the head - it and its satellites are good mid-tier French resorts. Unless you are in the habit of skiing home for lunch I do think a ski in/out requirement is the biggest constraint - there are plenty of lovely Austrian appartments by ski bus stops for instance.

We usually take a packed lunch and eat on the mountainside or picnic hut.

Aside from some day trips to Stuben and Sonnenkopf the two trips I've done to Austria (4/5 days each) was staying in Nesslegg to ski Warth Schröcken and somewhere on the road out of Neustift skiing Stubai. Both trips we had bussed to the slopes each day. It was before we had kids. It was no particular hardship. You wouldn't wait that long and it was a shortish ride. I could have done it reasonably happy with kids. However... Firstly, I wouldn't do it out of choice. There is enough faff of a morning without the added 5-10 minute wait and 10 minute ride on the bus. Equally, it is rather pleasant stumbling off the slope suitably skied out and stumbling straight into the ski locker to deboot and get straight on with the serious business of replenishing with a cold beer, hot tea and shower. A wait and ride on a bus isn't going to kill me. But it's a plus point nonetheless. Secondly, there have been certain circs when it's proved useful to return to the apartment intraday. Just one example - once my daughter was ill and couldn't ski so we me and the wife did half a day nursing each. Ski in/ski out made for a nice quick turnaround. There are plenty of other more dominating factors but it's definitely something that comes into the equation and stacks up with some others.
latest report
What's going on here ... super-snarky series of posts. The opening post was pretty clumsy, ADH has some great off piste, and various people seem to get their rocks off having a pop. It's like reading Donald Trump's twitter feed.
ski holidays
FranzKlammer wrote:
What's going on here ... super-snarky series of posts. The opening post was pretty clumsy, ADH has some great off piste, and various people seem to get their rocks off having a pop. It's like reading Donald Trump's twitter feed.

OP puts up a lazy cut and paste bit of propaganda. SHs debate and deconstruct it. What's so hard to understand?
snow report
@FranzKlammer,
Quote:

It's like reading Donald Trump's twitter feed.

I think the scale and significance of the tweets is in a different league. AFAIK noone has actually lied on this thread.
ski holidays
The sad thing is ADH was once a world class resort but has been surpassed by the mega resorts further north. The southern French Alps are, indeed sunny but ser Che and Risoul/Vars are so much nicer, if a little further
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy