Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

resorts over 1500m?

Poster: A snowHead
hi guys....

looking at going NY...... criteria ideally is

above 1500mm
self catering
ski in / ski out
decent nursery slopes for 5 year old
childcare accesible
a couple of decent restaurants
ideally not a massive ski area as we wont get to use it that much due to the kids....

we normally go to tignes but its a bit of a waste of cash for us so somewhere smaller cheaper would be better....

cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Clusaz?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ajc2260626, la rosiere, puy st vincent and valmorel all have good reputations for kids and fit your spec.
Avoriaz has good nursery slopes and is convenient for airports.
Not certain about the restaurants it's a while since I have visited them other than Valmorel which I've not been to.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ajc2260626, How about Solden? Its at 1350m, but add about 500m to be equivalent to France. Most of the skking is about 2000m, including two glaciers.

This apartment is right next to the nursery slope...

https://www.booking.com/hotel/at/appartment-juwel.en-gb.html?label=gen173nr-1FCAEoggJCAlhYSDNYBGhQiAEBmAEuuAEGyAEM2AEB6AEB-AELkgIBeagCAw;sid=c2d17d83eac58e89df7ecb884bbd0281;age=12;age=12;all_sr_blocks=28043108_106148773_4_0_0;checkin=2018-12-29;checkout=2019-01-05;dest_id=-1991873;dest_type=city;dist=0;group_adults=2;group_children=2;hapos=6;highlighted_blocks=28043108_106148773_4_0_0;hpos=6;no_rooms=1;room1=A%2CA%2C12%2C12;sb_price_type=total;srepoch=1528115165;srfid=a6bc38b9852f9f0a809c4984f8650b0a578fcdfbX6;srpvid=5cb7576ed85500f9;type=total;ucfs=1&#availability
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
some good ones there

@Drammeister, never thought of that austria as we normally drive but theres not actually much in it
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@ajc2260626,
I drive to Austria annually. Its not too bad, no peages. There is a vignette to buy if you use Austrian Motorways. Its not much though, 9 euros for 10 days I think. Don't risk not getting one, they are quite vigilant. Generally the driving is easy, the resorts are mostly in the valleys.
Also, Winter tyres are all but compulsory in Germany and Austria, so that may be a consideration.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would suggest La Rosiere or Montgenevre for your criteria in New Year week.

Although my personal opinion is that New Year week is the least good value of the school holiday weeks...costs almost as much as half term but less snow sure. I would consider Easter or Christmas as well.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@snowymum, i agree re NY we will probably go easter too i will have a look at montgenevre
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I would suggest La Rosiere or Montgenevre for your criteria in New Year week.

Although my personal opinion is that New Year week is the least good value of the school holiday weeks...costs almost as much as half term but less snow sure. I would consider Easter or Christmas as well.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
+1
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sainte Foy ticks your boxes. Great for families, cheap lift passes (especially for families).

BTW, I no longer have any involvement in selling ski holidays in Sainte Foy!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ajc2260626 wrote:
...above 1500mm ...

That's not much of a restriction Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you're thinking Solden, then keep driving up the valley to Obergurgl. Base is at 1900m, super snow sure and the town has a quieter, family feel. There are plenty of ski-in ski-out options and they have a good ski school for kids.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ItaloSkier,
Also the ski pass covers both resorts. There's only a 15 min bus ride between them.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If considering Austria, put Niederau on your list. Lovely little resort with some good skiing.
snow report
jellemr wrote:
If considering Austria, put Niederau on your list. Lovely little resort with some good skiing.

It doesn't really fit in with the OPs request at 828m.
snow conditions
stevomcd wrote:
Sainte Foy ticks your boxes. Great for families, cheap lift passes (especially for families).

BTW, I no longer have any involvement in selling ski holidays in Sainte Foy!

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but iosn't Sainte Foy, like, really quite a small place, famed more for it's off-piste... I've never been so happy to be shot down in flames... It's a place I've always wanted to try but been put off by the amount of terrain there...

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 8-06-18 13:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@AlpineAddict, I have been to a lot of French resorts and spent one week at Sainte Foy a few years ago. Sainte Foy has a few very enjoyable pistes and one particularly good mountain restaurant (le Maquis) but it was not somewhere I'd rush back to for the following reasons.

I prefer more extensive areas with a feeling of travel...not the mega resorts but medium sized places like the Grand Massif. I do not ski off piste so can appreciate that it has more to offer for those that do. There were so many Brits it didn't feel like being in France.

There is a lack of high end self catering accommodation. We stayed at les fermes de sainte foy which was not up to the standard of other places in the cgh chain. chipped crockery in the apartment, a frustrating internal layout, freezing jacuzzis and ants coming in at the side of the pool area. It needed a revamp. There is no public pool in the resort and that meant that some people staying in chalets gate crashed the fermes de sainte foy pool. The village had limited shops and restaurants and in particular had no proper pharmacy - we drove 20 mins down the road for medication. What happens if you are staying there and have no car?

It also has a reputation for being affordable but I don't think the ski pass was that good value for the number of Km and the ski school was more expensive than average and I was not happy with the gold level lessons my daughter had.

I would like to go back there to ski the area again but would do it as a day trip from a nearby resort. I can see that it would have more appeal for people with younger children who do not need a huge ski area. One thing that was fun was the weekly slalom competition organised by the ESF...open to all so gives parents a chance to race their kids against the clock.
snow report
@AlpineAddict, I have been to a lot of French resorts and spent one week at Sainte Foy a few years ago. Sainte Foy has a few very enjoyable pistes and one particularly good mountain restaurant (le Maquis) but it was not somewhere I'd rush back to for the following reasons.

I prefer more extensive areas with a feeling of travel...not the mega resorts but medium sized places like the Grand Massif. I do not ski off piste so can appreciate that it has more to offer for those that do. There were so many Brits it didn't feel like being in France.

There is a lack of high end self catering accommodation. We stayed at les fermes de sainte foy which was not up to the standard of other places in the cgh chain. chipped crockery in the apartment, a frustrating internal layout, freezing jacuzzis and ants coming in at the side of the pool area. It needed a revamp. There is no public pool in the resort and that meant that some people staying in chalets gate crashed the fermes de sainte foy pool. The village had limited shops and restaurants and in particular had no proper pharmacy - we drove 20 mins down the road for medication. What happens if you are staying there and have no car?

It also has a reputation for being affordable but I don't think the ski pass was that good value for the number of Km and the ski school was more expensive than average and I was not happy with the gold level lessons my daughter had.

I would like to go back there to ski the area again but would do it as a day trip from a nearby resort. I can see that it would have more appeal for people with younger children who do not need a huge ski area. One thing that was fun was the weekly slalom competition organised by the ESF...open to all so gives parents a chance to race their kids against the clock.
snow report

snow conditions
Avoriaz ticks all your boxes. Especially good for young kids as the kids area in right in the center

PDS is a huge area but there is a local pass.

It is 1800 m and is a snow pocket. Lots of ski in ski out SC accommodation. Good supermarket. Good restaurants. Short transfer from Geneva.
snow conditions
snowymum wrote:
One thing that was fun was the weekly slalom competition organised by the ESF...open to all so gives parents a chance to race their kids against the clock.

Pretty much every resort in France will do that.
latest report
@rjs, That has not been my experience. Maybe we have been to different sets of French resorts.
snow conditions
@snowymum, Name one that didn't.
snow report
Montgenevre, Les Carroz, Val Cenis, Les Saisies, Les Arcs, la rosiere
latest report
@snowymum, Try here, I see 1053 results for last winter just for the Fleche spread over those resorts, 400 more if you include the Chamois.
ski holidays
I think Les Saisies does, @snowymum - I've seen ESF notices about it.
ski holidays
@snowymum, You added La Rosiere and Les Carroz after I had run the search so the number would be higher still if I had included them. I have done both Fleche and Chamois in La Rosiere anyway.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@snowymum, Les Carroz does a slalom race open to all in high season, you just enter at the esf office, its in the evening on timalets, and if you get a high start number, which you will, its a bit rutted, it was more like a mini mogul race and bl**dy freezing!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy