Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hard case for ski goggles

Poster: A snowHead
@Dave of the Marmottes, I agree with what you say. Large retail companies have definitely long neglected their opportunity to beat the internet by offering advice etc in the shop - it's perfectly normal to walk into Snow and Rock during the winter and know more about their winter sports range than the shop staff do, I think mostly when they ask if you need any help they're trying to while away the boredom by having somebody to talk to. Many large companies (larger than S&R for sure) have failed to adapt to the change in the way that the consumer buys stuff, and gone bust. See Woolworths, Homebase, BHS, Virgin Megastore, etc - all of whom tried to run their 1980s business model up until the last day.

You certainly have to have an element of consumerist mindset, and choosing the best deal from a range of cheap internet sources is fine. Obviously Oakley have made Igero a dealer, and are happy with the prices they're selling at - because manufacturers do have an ability to control the prices their dealers can offer. So it's perfectly reasonable to assume that buying your Oakleys from Igero is not doing Oakley any harm (or at least not doing them any harm that they're not prepared to accept as a necessary evil along the way to good business).

But as a consumer, you can't go round looking for the cheapest price, and then complain that the cheapest price you could find doesn't include a santa stocking of free accessories for the product you just bought.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dp wrote:
[b] But as a consumer, you can't go round looking for the cheapest price, and then complain that the cheapest price you could find doesn't include a santa stocking of free accessories for the product you just bought.

I'm not sure that a case for an expensive pair of goggles can be categorised as a "santa stocking of free accessories"; but if it helps you make your point, that's ok with me. Very Happy Yes, I may have bought them from an authorised internet based Oakley dealer and not Oakley themselves, and yes I got them considerably cheaper than the RRP; but to me, £86 for a pair of goggles is still expensive. Shocked I get a certain amount of personal satisfaction in finding a bargain; others may get their satisfaction in being seen to be able to buy the most expensive items without the need to look for a bargain; which is fine. Each to their own.

My fundamental point is - I can buy prescription glasses from my local independent opticians for a slight premium. I can buy the same glasses from specsavers, boots, or visionexpress for less. All however provide hard cases for the glasses. That's all I'm saying. I can't remember the last time I bought prescription glasses and didn't get a hard case thrown in, be that from the national chains or my local independent optician.

Will I keep looking for bargains? Unashamedly -Yes. My goggles and the hard case still cost less than if I'd bought the goggles directly from Oakley. Some may have money to squander, I regrettably do not.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't think I at any point suggested that anyone is out to spend more money than they need to? I agreed that buying things from the cheapest place you can is absolutely fine but you have to accept that when paying the cheapest price you will probably not get a lot of extras thrown in. Your one and only 'extra' is a substantial discount.

Comparing goggles to prescription glasses is a bit of a strange one too. When you buy a car it is normal to get a spare wheel in the back but not when you buy a bicycle. Does that mean the bicycle companies are stiffing you the cost of the spare wheel? Maybe they're just not charging for it to begin with, and it's up to you if you want to buy one or not. Just like hard cases for goggles.

I don't think goggles really need a hard case. I don't see what's going to happen to your goggles when they're packed away that warrants a hard case. If you're precious about your goggles getting damaged, you probably shouldn't put them on your face whilst hurling yourself down a mountain on a pair of wooden planks, they're far more likely to get damaged that way than they are packed in your luggage. Hence probably why they don't come with one.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
dp wrote:
If you're precious about your goggles getting damaged, you probably shouldn't put them on your face whilst hurling yourself down a mountain on a pair of wooden planks,

That's why I wear a cricket box when skiing. wink Toofy Grin

I can tell you don't drive. Most new cars do not come with a spare wheel. They come with a can of foam spray; which is about as much use as a chocolate fire guard. The last four cars I've bought new (a Citroen C4 Picasso; 2 Volvo estates and a Seat Leon all came without a spare wheel. I had to buy one for the Citroen, then demanded one for free when I bought the other three. No wheel, no deal. I was speaking to an RAC patrolman when my C4 had a tyre shredded by an object in the road (the reason I bought the spare wheel); he said that the vast majority of call outs they get these days are for cars which have had blow outs and the can of foam is absolutely useless. But I take your point.

We could drag this debate out for ages; or we could simply agree to disagree. I'm for the latter. Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Do you actually wear a cricket box when skiing? Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
dp wrote:
Do you actually wear a cricket box when skiing? Puzzled

Of course, don't all the guys? It's a thermally insulated one, guaranteed to keep your crown jewels from freezing at down to -40c. Shocked

No of course not. Twisted Evil
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@dp, I’m not sure the point of the case is for packing. Ok, it might be for some people, but I bought a semi-hard case after I split the spare pair of goggles I was carrying in my backpack when I had a crash. Well, that’s what I think happened – they were fine when they went in the bag, they weren’t when I took them out some days later, and what happened in between is anyone’s guess but I think it was the week I spent bouncing around like a crash test dummy Confused

It is currently rendered useless as I haven’t bothered replacing the broken goggles, and therefore don’t have a spare pair to carry.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

When you buy a car it is normal to get a spare wheel in the back

Not any more it isn't, sadly.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I think it was the week I spent bouncing around like a crash test dummy

More safety fence issues?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@midgetbiker, more a not knowing how to ski powder issue, so something I’ve largely solved.

Got intimately acquainted with any more driveways recently?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dp wrote:
buying things from the cheapest place you can is absolutely fine but you have to accept that when paying the cheapest price you will probably not get a lot of extras thrown in. Your one and only 'extra' is a substantial discount.

@dp, I have no idea why you keep going on about discount prices, people expecting freebies etc. It's totally irrelevant to @Awdbugga's complaint that he didn't get a hard case with his Oakley goggles. Nobody does! Even if they buy full price from Oakley. I think it's a bit rude implying he's a cheapskate.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@maggi, like I said before... I used to shop a lot in the Oakley store at Mall of the Emirates and used to pick up a lot of freebies from doing 'deals' in store - where the price doesn't change but you can get free stuff.

That's included both types of hard case (the soft hard case and the hard hard case!), a record bag and once they offered me goggles as a free gift for buying sunnies! (They also offered a jacket which was what I went for).

That's why I've mentioned it. When you buy stuff from the discount shops online, there's no facility to bargain your way into free stuff and it's not their model to do stuff like that. I'm not calling awdbugga a cheapskate either, I'm just suggesting that if he's going to go for the cheap option (which is a perfectly sensible thing to do) he shouldn't be surprised that you don't get any freebies.

@Scarlet, I guess my falls are just a bit less violent than yours then despite me being about three times your weight, as my lenses have lived in their soft case without incident since forever. (Same can't be said for my water bottle - a metal Sigg type thing - which literally has the impression of an Alpride-style twin canister arrangement in one side). I guess fences aren't as soft and absorptive as they appear.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@dp, Oh I dunno, my skis are still in the desired number of pieces wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I'm actually practicing moderation in all (most) things this spring, and as a result have lost about 5kg since the EOSB.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
midgetbiker wrote:
Quote:

I'm actually practicing moderation in all (most) things this spring, and as a result have lost about 5kg since the EOSB.

Excellent, and you'd already slimmed down. You won't have any excuses next season then, will you? I seem to have very carelessly mislaid 2 or 3kg myself, though I think I've probably sweated it out in the continental heat Confused
ski holidays
Scarlet wrote:
@dp, Oh I dunno, my skis are still in the desired number of pieces wink

Your point is invalid because the crash was a result of the skis breaking, not the skis breaking being a result of the crash. Very Happy

@midgetbiker never got back to me about my signature model so I expect he's still bitter Laughing Laughing

[quote="midgetbiker"]
Quote:

Since you were already in the 'saga' position at EOSB, where does that put you now? Are you going to move them to the "catheter bag" position?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy