Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 18/19 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Temperatures in Alps look like remaining hot as we go into August. Slight cooling hint but still above seasonal average.

Warmer than average in Northern Europe by weekend though nothing like recent highs (so hot, but no sign of anything approaching 40C).

http://youtube.com/v/sGIm0-dQd8M
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Scarlet wrote:
@davidof, could be the Roseal chair coming out of Orelle. Not many of the lifts have a big cuboid building like that.

Hi Scarlet
The pylons look like those of the Funitel to me.

This looks like a place similar to the one where the photo was taken

latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@davidof, could be, that was my second guess NehNeh TBH, I didn’t check it on the cam, and in my memory it’s considerably whiter. It doesn’t look particularly inviting in summer.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This week last year saw the hottest temperatures of the year in Austria and it’s shaping up to be hot midweek. Of course there is still plenty of summer left, but historically this tends to be the warmest point as you can see from the red average line below.

The Arlberg

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 8-08-18 18:08; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scarlet wrote:
@davidof, could be, that was my second guess NehNeh TBH, I didn’t check it on the cam, and in my memory it’s considerably whiter. It doesn’t look particularly inviting in summer.

Your response actually provoked me into looking at the photo a bit more closely and that's where I saw the pylons were gondola pylons which limited things a bit.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Third warmest July since 1900 according to Meteo France.

http://www.meteofrance.fr/actualites/64662417-juillet-2018-3e-mois-de-juillet-le-plus-chaud-depuis-1900
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Why is it so darn hot?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jul/24/why-is-europe-going-through-a-heatwave
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well hello. Very heavy hail storm over lake geneva this afternoon. One minute we were paddle boarding, the next thing thunder rolls in and marble size hail is raining from the skies. Proper cold hail stones. All over in 20 minutes, back to uninterrupted heatwave now.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
First white stuff of the season for us yesterday Toofy Grin

Actually was remnants of massive hail storm.

Superb the way the weather is at the moment, pretty well every day starts off without a cloud in the sky and by 14:00 nigh on 100% coverage - and then they get darker and more ominous.

Sometimes it's sheeting down on the other side of the valley whilst we only get a few drops.

Yesterday was truly epic as you could see it coming down the valley, and in advance the wind kicks in big time and then super heavy rain then temps drop and then the hail, all over the course or 45mins, then it all dies down as if nothing happened.

And then this morning back to cloudless sky.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Weathercam, I love that type of weather
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Polo, welcome to the forum.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whereas in the Zillertal we have had nothing really but hot dry days. Gets to 33-34 each afternoon. Maybe some change to the weather today with some rain forecast.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Temperatures in the Alps look like heading towards more seasonal ones from 10/11 August.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Here too............. (God's own)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quite a bit of stormy weather today. If you want to watch where the lightning is striking...

http://de.blitzortung.org/live_dynamic_maps2.php
snow conditions
A little fresh snow for the top of Hintertux next Tuesday? Looking quite possible at present.

latest report
The season is will underway in Chile, and the forecast? Light ashfall.
https://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias/nacional/region-de-nuble/2018/08/08/explosion-causa-sismo-en-complejo-volcanico-nevados-de-chillan-se-mantiene-alerta-naranja.shtml
ski holidays
Likelihood of snow in August on Hintertux receding as options for colder weather at altitude diminish in today’s output.
snow report
Maybe between 5-10cm of snow above 3000m on Hintertux on Tuesday.
ski holidays
August 10th is peak-Summer for the Northern Hemisphere.

Temps start trending down in Europe, North America and Asia from this week onward.

Winter is on the way snowHead
latest report
The big Rhone Glacier, in Switzerland, is reporting that the areas covered in Summer blankets are reducing ice melt by ~70%.

https://www.straitstimes.com/multimedia/photos/a-cool-way-to-save-the-glacier

snow report
Sudden violent storm just raced through Chiemsee. Clouds turned black, leaves racing through the air and waves of rain. Glad not to be out on the lake.
ski holidays
We Powder report from Swiss Meteo about July should come as no surprise ,
Driest and warmest period in the Swiss alps since 1864

https://wepowder.com/en/forum/topic/258634
ski holidays
Rob Mackley wrote:
We Powder report from Swiss Meteo about July should come as no surprise ,
Driest and warmest period in the Swiss alps since 1864

https://wepowder.com/en/forum/topic/258634

Wow.

Switzerland has had a disastrous Summer from May to August.

The whole country was completely snowless below 2000m by July 2018.

Pretty much unprecedented.
snow report
@Whitegold, most years most of the snow has gone from below 2000m by mid July. In what way is that unprecedented? Not arguing that it hasn’t been very warm and dry mind you.
snow conditions
After a brief cool spell warm weather now looks set in the Alps till at least 23 August. Still looking very green and lush in Bavaria.
ski holidays
Without getting involved in any silliness I think the point being made which was also repeated to me this summer in the Haute Tarentaise was with the vast amount of snow fallen this winter and how much was still lying at the end of May it’s melted far quicker than anyone ever expected due to the dry and hot conditions . The other point made is that there hasn’t been any early summer snow at high levels which is unusual .
snow report
Snow melts in hot weather?

Puzzled Shock
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Rob Mackley, yep it’s been very hot in the Alps this year. Drier at one end, wetter at the other. But. Yowzer.

I also don’t need convincing that the heavy snowfall at altitude this winter melted quickly this summer.

And to be honest the climate change models are so far being borne out by the weather.

Obviously you need to be careful about extrapolating that, but so far the science is holding. And that feels serious.

That however is a long way, and I do mean a long way, from siding with the slapdash, hyperbolic, attempted rabble rousing of people like @Whitegold.
To say something is unprecedented needs qualification otherwise it is unhelpful or misleading.

And this unease is obviously not just about how he/she posts on this thread, but more generally. And others who post appalling, nasty content, deliberately seeking to upset others (not naming anyone, but I know who I am taking about) should not assume that people won’t read across to how they behave elsewhere.

The thing that may not be obvious to those who have not been following this forum for a while is that this is nothing new. It’s depressing and goes on year in year out.

What should ring alarm bells is the subtle racism, acceptance of and in some cases support for nasty nationalism (plenty of depressing Scottish and English before we go further afield) and whipping up of populism that is going on in parts of this forum.

For my money this is the opposite of what skiing is about.

Meanwhile if you are hiking in the Alps pack plenty of suncream and enjoy that first chilled Radler.
snow report
@nozawaonsen, Very nicely put.
snow report
@Bennyboy1, thx, was here before, then lost interest / log in details, so langball has been retired.
Fresh start, and look what's on the charts for 25-26 aug....the only kind of 'depression' we want to see Madeye-Smiley

At +264 hrs, cherry picking a GFS chart is probably foolish ....but GEM had led the way for a few days (re. brief atlantic ridging around 25) and now ECM leaning back towards that scenairio too.
Likelihood is it all flattens out or gets swept off to the east, but the search for lower temps and autumn weather is fun.
ski holidays
@Polo, 👍
snow conditions
@Polo, I will take that as proof positive that the next ski season is getting nearer.....
latest report
Its getting nearer because mid-summer has passed! The days are getting shorter, that will do for me...........
ski holidays
@Maersk, My point exactly!
snow report
Meanwhile...

https://twitter.com/drahbutler/status/1029818759505166336?s=21

“I spy a polar vortex on the horizon...”
snow conditions
Still looking interesting on GFS as we head out of August as @Polo mentioned earlier. Hard to tell yet if it will build support.

Meanwhile there are other threads, but still worth a nod from here...

http://youtube.com/v/n0POmdK18WU
snow report
@Polo, I hope so. The Hintertux is looking very dark on the cams. Reported snow levels are similar I believe...(?)

I took some pictures last year and this year from the top of Ahorn up towards the Stilluptal. Snow was similar year on year but perhaps slightly better this year. Strawpole I know but....
ski holidays
....anyway I am not skiing there until Nov so plenty of time!
ski holidays
It‘s already snowing in Hokkaido...

https://japantoday.com/category/national/it’s-already-snowing-in-hokkaido

“the earliest snowfall since records began being kept in 1974.”
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy