Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Welt

Poster: A snowHead
I'm thinking that this may be a good year to try some of the lower Austrian resorts.

At this stage 23rd is of feb looks like the start date. But which of the Ski Welt resorts is it best to stay in if, I wnt to avoid a long walk, or having to use busy ski bus?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I know Westendorf is popular but to me Brixen is the best spot. It offers easy access to both sides of the skiing. Potentially it is also easy to get back from Kitzbühel if you end up there after the lifts have closed. The only down side is the red piste back to the village on the northern side. Over the past 15 years or so I cant ever remember finding decent snow conditions on it even when every other run has had perfect packed powder, it is inevitably scraped, icy and moguled. There is an easy blue through pleasant woods and fields but it ends up outside the village with only buses to take you back to the main lift. Conversely the run on the other side of the valley, a long red with a short black section is one of the best runs in Skiwelt.

You might also consider Kirchberg, it offers good access to both Skiwelt (the link at Ki West or take the bus to Brixen) and Kitzbühel. The village is a bit spread out so not much accommodation near the lifts and the apres is not so hot.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@munich_irish, which are your favourite bits of the Skiwelt? We're probably going to go there for a week in early March, and are considering only skiing the Skiwelt this time. We'd be staying in Hopfgarten, where we've stayed before, which we quite liked as it's a real town. Last time we skied 4 days in the Skiwelt, then days out in both Kitzbuhel (which we didn't like) and the Ski Juwel (which was lovely). I'm thinking there's plenty to keep us entertained for the week.

I know the red run you mean down into Brixen. We made the mistake of skiing it. Some of it had a ribbon of snow but we had to cross mud/gravel patches, where there wasn't any snow. I think I even ended up taking my skis off and walking a bit.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don’t think there is much ski in/out in Ellmau. Perhaps we were unlucky but I just remember it for being on a packed ski bus each day. Great town though
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We’re just back from a week in Soll. The conditions there are fabulous! It is a bus ride to the gondola but they are frequent & none crowded last week. You can ski back right to the main road so no need for a bus at the end of the day. The Brixen runs to resort were all great but that may change by the end of Feb if it gets a bit warmer. We’ve stayed in Westendorf & Ellmau in the past and where you stay depends on whether you need a bus or not to the gondola. Soll definitely has the best apres - if that’s a consideration!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Scarletgirl, did you spend the whole week in the Skiwelt?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was there last week. The Ki West is fantastic, bounce over to Brixen. Quieter than both the main ski welt and kitzbuhel.

Lifts are a little older but it's pretty quiet.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sean1967 wrote:
I was there last week. The Ki West is fantastic, bounce over to Brixen. Quieter than both the main ski welt and kitzbuhel.

Lifts are a little older but it's pretty quiet.

Do you mean the Westendorf area?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sugarmoma666 wrote:
@Scarletgirl, did you spend the whole week in the Skiwelt?

Yes, in Soll for the week - back yesterday! Went over to Going, via Scheffau & Ellmau, back through Brixen & Hopfgarten. The Blue (1C) in Brixen was in great condition. Didn’t go over to Westerndorf this time but know lots of people who did!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@sugarmoma666, I think the best run is the one I mentioned above, the one from Choralpe back to Brixen, its reasonably long, usually has good snow and has an element of challenge to it. The views towards the Wilder Kaiser from above Scheffau / Ellmau are pretty spectacular, a great backdrop to the skiing there.

Personally I think the skiing at Kitzbühel is more interesting but Scheffau is easier for me to get to.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have done the Skiwelt approximately 15 times and always stay in Soll, originally staying at the Postwirt or Tyrol Hotels, however due to the apes ski, we found it restrictive regarding time back for dinner in the evening. Now we either arrange independently via the Wilder Kaiser site, or Pension package arrangement via Crystal, Inghams or Neilson. Soll has an earlier lift start time than some of the other resorts, (you can actually start getting the gondola up the mountain at about 8.15 am) and we had no problem skiing the whole of the ski welt and getting back every day from whichever area we visited. We always leave our gear in the Erdinger lockers at the bottom station. If you get a dump of snow, Westendorf is really great as it tends to be quieter, with less ski traffic and some great runs.
Basically Soll has the best nightlife and you also have the advantage and option of night skiing, the disadvantage is at the weekend, a lot of weekenders from Munich tend to use Soll, but that is why we go to Ellmau, Scheffau and Going at the weekends. Wherever you choose, getting the early snow is always an advantage and the conditions this year are the best I have ever seen. For more novice skiers, Blue run 61 at Scheffau is a nice long run and a joy. Will probably get out there again in February/March.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ski Welt has some great long runs but can be very busy especially at the weekends. A car is helpful for flexibility. Brixen is good central starting point. To avoid the crowds ski early (O8.15), ski over lunch and most people seem to ski down or start apres early so the last hour can be really quiet if you avoid the main home runs. This year there was an extra run to to Brixen (no.1?).
My only gripe is I haven’t found a decent bump run. On the plus side there were some excellent long off piste runs this year.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So glad to hear all this as we are shortly heading out to the ski welt for the dreaded half term week.

@munich_irish, we are staying in Brixen and I've found very little info. about the actual village. I realise its strung out and not the prettiest but will we be able to find at least one lively bar and a couple of restaurants? Recommendations gratefully received.

Also, we have a couple of boarders who like to find bits of safe off piste- just sides and shortcuts - as they don't carry the gear. Are there any areas we should head for in particular?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We are also just back from a week in Soll. We last skied there about 12 years ago but went back due to the recent snow falls and were not disappointed. The conditions are great, the snow is amazing. We skied all over the area spending time on the slopes in each of Soll, Sheffau, Elmau, Going, Brixen, Hopfgarten and Westendorf. We stored our skis at the lockers at the bottom of the slopes in Soll and took the bus each morning but then walked back to the hotel (Hotel Tyrol) each afternoon. Its only about a 10-15 min walk and really refreshing once the skis are off to just take a wander rather than waiting for the bus. The locker cost 9 Euros for the week and was well worth it.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm considering doing Ski welt in the low end season, most likely the last week of March. I've been to the area 3 times before but always in High peak times (Jan-Feb).

Does anyone know what the snow/piste conditions are generally like in Skiwelt during the low season (end of march period)?
latest report
I stayed in Westendorf the second week in March a few years ago. I guess changeable is the best way to describe conditions, a plus was that it was very quiet. It snowed twice when we were there, once all the way to resort level which was great, the other unfortunately had me skiing the last 200m to the town in the rain for the first time, not pleasant, however, all in all it was a really good week, just don't expect perfection that late, that low.
snow report
@dodgster02, We were there 17th March 2018 - it snowed for most of the week and piste conditions were excellent. Luck of the draw I guess, but they do look after the pistes extremely well so you should at worst have good piste skiing even if it's a bit slushy or icy at the bottom. We saw minimal slush, lots of fresh snow, and the only icy slope was the run down into Brixen from the main Ski Welt area. snowHead

You've been before, but for anyone who might find it useful, I did a trip report at the time. https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3216534&highlight=westendorf#3216534
snow conditions
@nem, had a fantastic 10 days in Brixen, got back on the 10th Feb. Conditons were great and @munich_irish, recommended us to stay in Brixen, which really suited us (M50/F51/M24 all skiers). Brixen is a bit strung out as a village along the main road, there is a new by pass road with a tunnel now in situ. We stayed at a 2* B & B with the ski bus stop right outside our door, 2 mins to the gondola's. There isn't much to do in the evening in Brixen, the 2 apres ski bars at the base of the Gondolas are full from 3pm onwards to about 6.30pm, then it really quietens down. We did go back to these in an evening and they had a band on, but it was quiet, still, we still enjoyed ourselves.
Food wise, there isn't much other than a few Cafe bars, the place we stayed in was always full in the evening and we even had to book to get a table (Cafe Koeller).
I would say Off piste is limited, but there appear to be plenty of places to venture if its your thing.
Conditons were fantastic for this year, and the amounts of snow!! Smile
Didn't like the Red down into Brixen as it chopped up really easy, the Black was more entertaining and less used, but you do have a trek at the bottom. As a group we really did enjoy the Blue (1c) even though you had to catch the bus at the bottom. but to us it was a great run..
I found Westerndorf really good and enjoyed the easier reading of the piste map, Skiwelt does have to get some getting use to and understanding of where you are!
The Red/Black down to Brixen from Westerndorf is challengining and was always in good condition, just didn't like the pulley upto the gondolas in Brixen, my OH actually caught the gondola back due to the pulley!
Austria and the skiwelt has really appealed to us after our first visit to the Austria and this region, we'll be back!
snow report
For anyone going in the next few days, conditions are still very good, despite warmer weather this week. We got back late last night and there is still an awful lot of snow and as far as I could see all runs were open. We skied all the valley runs (including the very slushy and bumpy run to Brixen) and also got over to Going and conditions generally were very good indeed.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy