Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to do a self funded season?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi thanks for checking out my post. I'm hoping that I can get some informed suggestions on where to do a season to celebrate my 50th birthday.

About me:-
Obviously approaching 50, previously done 4 seasons, all in France. Snowboarder and skier but didn't learn either until I was 35. Don't do park, too old to break bones by doing crazy stuff Happy . Will take every opportunity to play in powder when on my board.

The point of this season is for me to ski/board as much as possible but also to have as many friends as feasible come to visit, both skiers and non-skiers / first timers. Oh almost forgot the other half wants to be able to visit lots too Very Happy

Resort requirements:-
Max of 2hrs drive from an airport.
Needs to be big enough to keep me amused for a season.
Would be good if it was somewhere that British ski co's are based so as to meet other seasonaires.
Not somewhere that is a major faff to get to the slopes

Previous seasons were in Meribel, Val D, Les Gets and Les Carroz. All were great but wouldn't want to go back. Been to Chamonix, didn't take to it! Had a fantastic week in La Thuile this winter, Great snow, quiet pistes and Italy so much cheaper than France!

All suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Pete
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd suggest the Dolomites. Huge area, lots to explore, fantastic scenery, lovely food and friendly people. Cheaper than France as you say and it's a great place for entertaining guests and should very easy to persuade people to come and visit.

The only downside is that it's probably a bit over your 2 hours max from the airports.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How about basing yourself in Innsbruck? 1/2 a dozen resorts covered by a free ski bus & Olympic Pass + you can easily do Kitbuhel, Ellemau Brixen as a day trip or further if you fancy a few days away from being away!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
What about staying in Aosta and then having the whole Aosta valley resorts to go at. Not far from Turin airport. Also Milan and even Geneva on 2.5hrs away.
As you say Italy is very cheap on mountain compared to France. Also lots of brits over there.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Super Salzburg pass gives about 64 resorts for €725, pretty much the whole top part of Austria.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Paradiski ? stay in Bourg for cheaper accom option
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I am doing a season this winter and chose bourg in the paradiski area.

There is a train into bourg that goes direct from london. Also near an airport. It is based at 600m but there is a 7 min funicular up the mountain. Which i didn't think was too much of a faff. It also runs untill 8/9, so you wont miss apres.

Its a year round resort, so i am hoping it has a more grown up french feel than some other resorts.

Its also within 30min drive of other large french resorts should i need a change of scenery.

The paradiski area itself has a mix of high peaks and tree runs. As well as beginner and advanced slopes. This was important as my gf is new to skiing.

Finally accom/food are much cheaper a little bit down the mountain.

I am sure there are downsides too, but these were the reasons i chose bourg.

A close secongd was morzine. But i was worried about the altitude of some slopes, maybe wrongly as alvoriaz looks pretty snow sure.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy