Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kids skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So, the 8 year old boy started skiing about 7 months ago, and has taken to it pretty quickly. He has been getting regular weekly coaching at CFe, as well as having done the occasional race day session. All his skiing to date has been at CFe, and in the past 2 months he has gone from scruffing his way down using his upper body for steering, to now carving pretty nicely. He is quite interested in Skier-cross, as well as doing more with race.

And so the time may have come to acquire his own skis rather than using the generic rentals from CFe.

I have ordered a pair of these in 130cm (he is 138cm tall himself, and quite scrawny)
https://www.sportsdirect.com/fischer-rc4-race-ski-set-junior-922112
But actual details of them are pretty sparse, and I cannot really find anything out about them on the Fischer website either. Well researched, eh? But my thinking here is that with the 20% discount available this weekend that makes them £80, and the worst that can happen is that I take them back. Or that maybe they are OK for now, and I could flog them when he's ready to upgrade further down the line?

(He already has his own boots, and his skiing improved exponentially when he changed from the size 22.5 rentals to the size 21.0 of his own boots.

Is there a collective view on these skis? Have I made a major error?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We have the rc4 WorldCup GS for our 12 year old and he goes faster than me now and likes them, mainly for that reason I think.

Not sure this particular model is part of the main rc4 WC fleet. If they are, they are a bargain.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@slopemad, don't know anything about those particular skis but at that age almost anything will do and there is a good second hand market for kids skis for obvious reasons.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@slopemad, is it not these: https://www.fischersports.com/en_en/rc4-race-jr.-27836
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks @Tubaski, I think that's what they are. A basic, entry level kids race ski. Which should be fine, for now Smile (I suspect the brain of an 8 year old will find a bit of extra performance just from having their own ski anyway)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Rather impressively the skis turned up at lunchtime today, which is good given that I ordered them at 4pm on a Sunday... The numbers written on them are 104-70-84 with a Radius of 13m.

I have attached the bindings to the rails on the skis, set them up with his boots, set the DIN. Are they ready to 'just go', or do they need any other preparation work, e.g. waxing? What can be done to keep them decent when at the moment they'll be getting a lot of time in the fridge (the snow contains oily residues from the exhaust of the Piste basher, which is quite evident on his white boots).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@slopemad, some people say the shop wax isn't up to much and will say wax em. I never have. I DIY edge and wax after every week long trip. I don't go to a fridge but yeah I've heard the artificial snow means more frequent waxing.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@slopemad, If they are the the skis I linked above then they have an extruded base, so won't hold wax like a sintered base does (but also I imagine won't slow down as much when they are unwaxed - happy to be corrected on this!).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy