Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Folie Douce Avoriaz

Poster: A snowHead
Don't think this story made it to snowHead yet:

http://www.morzinesourcemagazine.com/la-folie-douce-to-open-in-avoriaz/

For those of you partial to that kind of thing... Madeye-Smiley Skullie Shocked
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wow that must be about the 6th one. They're obviously raking in the cash.

Great fun!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
6.30 is a generous closing time. I assume it's right on the fringe of town so pisteurs won't be too worried about scraping drunks up.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Correct, Avoriaz residents can all wobble home without taking a lift Toofy Grin . I envisage some carnage for Morzine people choosing to ski/ride down the closed home run to Prodains to get the navette home Confused . And more business for the taxi/transfer companies.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
I assume it's right on the fringe of town so pisteurs won't be too worried about scraping drunks up.

Next to Yeti, so on the edge of the resort, just down from the top of Proclou/Lindarets and above the start of the run back to the Super Morzine if memory serves.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
That's an interesting place to site it - don't the other FDs setup shop in more isolated locations up the hill so they are more the 'only game in town'
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not really a suitable position like that around Avoriaz though - which is still an easy ski home to both Morzine and Avoriaz.

There isn't much hill above the Yeti area before you're on the Crete ridge and dropping down the other side would mean post-beer lifts for everyone not going to Ardent - and a very tricky drunk ski back down in to Avoriaz (not actually difficult but even sober new skiers seem to make it so). You could go up the Lac-Intrets side, either where the ice bar is or the little restaurant above it, but you're back to the top of Prodains so below most of Avoriaz.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm not too familiar with the other FDs locations, from what I recall aren't they mainly near the top of the resort's main bubble for transport and safety? The PdS has so many bottom stations there is no primary telecabine, not even if you consider Avoriaz or Morzine in isolation. It is a very busy spot though and has a large catchment area.

For those interested in a bit of Avoriaz history, Chez Lenvers the restaurant which has been gutted and rebuilt and leased to FB, has been there since before Avoriaz. It belongs to the Lenvers family, who's little parcel of land between the bunny hill and the closest apartment blocks has never been part of the Avoriaz concession. They kept the plot, the chalet, another barn which is also now a restaurant, a little cow-shed which is still there, and they built a 60's chalet next door which is now run by a dutch chalet company. They are the only buildings in Avoriaz not in the Avoriaz architectural style. It's a bit like the old farmer who refuses to sell for the motorway so they build it round him!

Anyway, the vast majority of "the competition" in Avoriaz are owned by Annie Famose (of Skiset (in)famy) who has a stranglehold on the Avoriaz après. Seemingly either Annie didn't want FD in town, or they preferred to do business with M. Lenvers..? Anyway, it's possibly a very astute move on his part.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Agreed, @Richard_Sideways - very interesting location. Being a big outdoor party these types of venues are normally a bit more isolated as they aren't exactly quiet (and using the Val Thorens one as an example the language blasted out over the speakers is fairly post-watershed). Wonder if it's in ear-shot of family-friendly Avoriaz?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
...interesting background. At least the plot is relatively elevated on the edge of town and not nearer to the majority of accomodation. Looks like there's one planned for Chamonix as well (article below).
The restaurants look nice, but would prefer if the town planners went down a different route, or at least were more original. Hope it doesn't change the make up of the resort over time. I'll go as soon as it opens for more research.

https://www.passionportesdusoleil.com/la-folie-douce-simplante-a-avoriaz/
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's not too bad noise-wise for the apartments because it's focused the other way, out towards the beginners slopes. Good point about the language though, it sounded like South Central a couple of times when I skied past the Chatel park last season, some english families would definitely find it offensive. There again french radio's no better! Neutral
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Chamonix one is a restaurant, apres bar and schizo hotel with 5 star suites and null points dormitories.

Not quite in the centre of town but not far out. And at ground level. A bit weird.

Was the old Club Med hotel/complex.

Apparently due to open for the season.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
That is weird! Oh, and "snap!", by the way Very Happy. I suggest we do a compare & contrast, for research purposes too! NehNeh
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I popped into Chez Lenvers last season with an instructor and he told me it was going to become a FD. I don't think noise will be a problem from the location, as it is tucked away and far enough out of the town.
I must admit I find the choice of music in the park a bit OTT, when you're going up the slow drag right past the blaring speakers with kids all the swearing is a bit much.
Having said that the Big Air competition which was where the FD is going to be was also a bit questionable last Easter. All the competitors were drinking beer between jumps and none of them were wearing helmets. By the late afternoon some of them were hammered and luckily young enough to bounce. Again not a very good advert for my 8 year old son.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
shep wrote:
That is weird!

Having said that, Chamonix even more than PdS has the problem of no real central point for the skiing vibe. Perhaps their logic goes the only centre to the Chamonix valley ski area is Chamonix itself...?
snow conditions
@shep, we need an academic project, non?

I think Cham has to accept that apres ski will mostly be in town.

Mind you, pre- apres- ski at the Chavannes up Flégère about 12h00 is pretty bouncy Twisted Evil
snow report
The sound sytems are remarkably focused. You only get a bit of reflection off the opposite side of the valley until you are in direct line of site of the speakers at VT.
ski holidays
doddsie wrote:

I must admit I find the choice of music in the park a bit OTT, when you're going up the slow drag right past the blaring speakers with kids all the swearing is a bit much.

We've always known the bar under the Chaux Fleurie lift as the "F*** F*** bar" as the first time we got that lift with our, then 8 and 6 year old kids, it was blasting some hard house tune out which consisted of the word "F***" repeated over and over.

They are 18 and 16 now and absolutely prefer the music that's being played at the Avoriaz terrain park.

Razz Razz
snow conditions
@Markoncarp, think yourself lucky.

I think our second year over here, Virgin (?) France’s xmas jingle was (to the tune) ,

“All I want for xmas is to f**k you up your a**e”, etc.”
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy