Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ermm... I did a thing (Base Damage)

Poster: A snowHead
So i'm after some advice on how much damage I've done to my skis after following some other snowheads on the PSB and heading down what looked to be a nice red run with lots of fresh(ish) snow from the top, once you ducked under the closed ropes snowHead

Turns out there was quite a few rocks closer to the bottom, and a well placed snowboarder sitting on the only nice patch of snow!

Usually wax them myself but I think they may need a visit to the shop this time, any recommendations on where to take them in the midlands area and what sort of repair/price I can expect? ... hopefully @Spyderjon will spot this and offer some wisdom!

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I had a shark strike that looked just like the second picture when at Les arcs two January's ago. Got it fixed up as good as new (well you can see the 'scar'). The edge looks pretty intact from this angle! Edit: or is that a gap next to the hole?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Both areas of damage are likely to have gone though to the core but both are straightforward 'metalgrip foundation + p-tex weld' repairs. If you're dead lucky then the p-tex hasn't been fully penetrated so a basic p-tex candle repair would do the job although a p-tex weld repair is better. If you get it done by a shop just make sure that they dress the repairs done by hand as there's good structure in the base so assuming the bases are flat('ish) then they don't need a base grind.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Take 'em to a competent shop that have full service (base) repair/refinishing with the needful addition of machine base grinding and stoning and get the works fully done. Emphasis on both competent and the works fully done..........., the base edges need some serious refinishing, too.

Gotta love boarders. My favorite people on any mountain, "dude".
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

any recommendations on where to take them in the midlands area

Erm, Spyderjon's?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It’s only a scratch! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gämsbock wrote:
Quote:

Erm, Spyderjon's?

+1

It took me 1.5hrs to drive there from Halesowen.... admittedly that was on New Year’s Eve so less traffic on roads than normal.

Obviously you would need to get them booked in to ensure he can do them while you wait etc.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
NickyJ wrote:
Gämsbock wrote:
Quote:

Erm, Spyderjon's?

+1
It took me 1.5hrs to drive there from Halesowen.... admittedly that was on New Year’s Eve so less traffic on roads than normal.
Obviously you would need to get them booked in to ensure he can do them while you wait etc.

This may be exactly what I end up doing!
Just wondering if there was anything a bit closer to me as Its going to be interesting trying to get them booked for the work "while I wait" on a Saturday during peak season though!

Looks like i'm going to be taking a day trip up to Nottingham soon Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
arcsinice wrote:
Take 'em to a competent shop that have full service (base) repair/refinishing with the needful addition of machine base grinding and stoning and get the works fully done. Emphasis on both competent and the works fully done..........., the base edges need some serious refinishing, too.......

So you're advocating that after a typical base repair the skis have a base grind even though the structure on the ski is fine and assuming the bases are flat? If that's the case then you're an idiot rolling eyes
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
arcsinice wrote:

I take it you've been up all night drinking.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@arcticash, Sad though it may look to you this is actually pretty minor damage and any ski service place should be able to do it. Have you tried snow and rock in Birmingham or Lockwoods in Leamington? This is the sort of repair Ive done at home many time. Trim off the protruding base with a knife and fill with ptex. Or to really annoy the purists fill with epoxy resin. It works remarably well and sticks better than ptex. Just like sticking gaffer tape over your clothing it also adds to your aura as a hard skier who is not worried about appearance, just fixes things and gets on with it.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

call that base damage?
This is base damage Wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
spyderjon wrote:
arcsinice wrote:
Take 'em to a competent shop that have full service (base) repair/refinishing with the needful addition of machine base grinding and stoning and get the works fully done. Emphasis on both competent and the works fully done..........., the base edges need some serious refinishing, too.......

So you're advocating that after a typical base repair the skis have a base grind even though the structure on the ski is fine and assuming the bases are flat? If that's the case then you're an idiot rolling eyes
Erm... you're a retailer: if people don't wear their skis out with base grinds, it could be years before they need to replace them.
Durrr..... perhaps if you were a little less conscientious about grinding down people's bases, you'd sell twice as much kit! Wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
arcsinice wrote:

At least he has someone to blame for the damage. None of it was his fault for being out of control and not being able to avoid the rocks, eh. rolling eyes rolling eyes

Gotta love out of control skiers who blame others for their mistakes. My favourite people on any mountain, "dude".
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@arcticash, perfect opportunity to get the kit to do it yourself. If you keep going off piste (or on closed pistes) at the PSB, this won't be the last damage you need to repair. Ask me how I know...

Of course, the best place to get the kit is from @spyderjon, so you probably still need that trip to Nottingham.
ski holidays
mgrolf wrote:
@arcticash, perfect opportunity to get the kit to do it yourself. If you keep going off piste (or on closed pistes) at the PSB, this won't be the last damage you need to repair. Ask me how I know...

Of course, the best place to get the kit is from @spyderjon, so you probably still need that trip to Nottingham.
...he also does lessons in ski maintenance Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
@arcticash, if you have the necessary kit you might be able to repair this yourself. Have a look at which category the damage falls into - https://thepisteoffice.com/index.php/tuning-guide/13-base-repairs.html
Then take it to @spyderjon anyway Toofy Grin
snow conditions
You don't need to drive to Nottingham to buy any service kit. Spyderjon sent mine in the post!
snow conditions
motyl wrote:
@arcticash, if you have the necessary kit you might be able to repair this yourself. Have a look at which category the damage falls into - https://thepisteoffice.com/index.php/tuning-guide/13-base-repairs.html
Then take it to @spyderjon anyway Toofy Grin
I'm happy to fill deep scratches and maybe a small core shot, especially on skis which I don't care too much about. But anything needing a ptex patch, especially if it includes the edge of the ski, should be seen by a pro with the correct kit, materials and skills. So the skis in the first post I'd do myself, but the torture inflicted by admin on his Whitedots need a bit more love and care than I could offer.
snow report
admin wrote:
mgrolf wrote:

...he also does lessons in ski maintenance Madeye-Smiley

I made a reasonable job of my skis and boards mid Dec but would love to do a course.

Spyderjon any chance of doing one in the London area if enough of us got together?
snow conditions
arcticash wrote:

that looks pretty minor to me, bit of p-text then use one of those base tools to remove the excess then structure and you'll be good to go.
snow conditions
admin wrote:

call that base damage? This is base damage Wink

Good effort there Laughing Is that all the way through to the top sheet? lol

mgrolf wrote:

Okay now i kind of want to know where you ended up!
ski holidays
Quote:
Good effort there Is that all the way through to the top sheet? lol
Just about through to the socks mate!

That long black streak in front of the hole, was all done in one shot.
I'd just had a dozen perfect turns in deep soft snow and on the very last, hit a 'submerged object' hard. I was actually really pleased with myself that I'd stayed on my feet after such an impact and skied on.
It was only when we dropped back onto the piste that one foot suddenly seemed to be somewhat slow. I took the ski off and there was this huge curl of plastic like a blimmin brake.
snow conditions
Ouch! Bad luck.

I did this on my first trip with a brand new pair of skis!
Was sorted in the resort for 40 euro and it's almost invisible.
Good luck.
snow report
Quote:

None of it was his fault for being out of control and not being able to avoid the rocks, eh.

having ducked under the ropes. So if that gash had been in your face rather than your ski you could have found yourself uninsured. wink
latest report
arcticash wrote:

mgrolf wrote:

PSB 2017, off piste clinics then two guided days took their toll on my skis. A lot of sharks about, no one place in particular (top of the Mont Blanc lift was bad, iirc but elsewhere too). One of the hazards of early season off piste I guess.
ski holidays
mgrolf wrote:
arcticash wrote:

mgrolf wrote:

PSB 2017, off piste clinics then two guided days took their toll on my skis. A lot of sharks about, no one place in particular (top of the Mont Blanc lift was bad, iirc but elsewhere too). One of the hazards of early season off piste I guess.

Ouch, sounds like fun though!

Take it you wheren’t in the guided group that year where someone ski’d waist deep into a lake after being warned to “stay left” Laughing not me by the way, I just met him in the pub!

I managed to do that damage in the last 100m of Piste M just before it opens up at the bottom Embarassed all part of the game though I suppose, can’t have good snow and empty piste’s every year! snowHead
ski holidays
admin wrote:

call that base damage?
This is base damage Wink

Pah! A mere flesh wound.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon wrote:
arcsinice wrote:

You remind me of an individual who used to heavily inhabit a different sport board and declare himself resident all-knowing savant. How quaint. How utterly indicting.

No competent ski shop I have ever crossed paths with be same within the USA, Canada, Japan or Europe would ever complete base repair work along the lines of what Arcticash requires without a requisite and needful light finishing grind/stoning and hand finish upon any base repair as he certainly deserves. As a matter of fact there exists one particular shop I am privileged to know as the "idiot" I am per your dignified all-knowing label, along with other similar "idiots" of similar ilk to myself and have given work to over the years who would do nothing less. But, unlike you, what do they know? This much............. They can readily claim amongst their clientele over the past thirty plus years alone no less than 9 US National Ski Team members to date who, coming up in their respective careers chose that shop for product and service capability/competence and if in retirement today, still do. It gets better............ Of the aforementioned 9, 4 have been US National Champions, 3 were OLYMPIC CHAMPIONS (G, S, B and in more than one discipline and Olympic), 2 were WORLD CHAMPION. Hola! Several of their staff serve periodically in the National Team pool. Not bad for a single shop that are by dint of your label "idiots", too.
Señor Arcticash's skis are in need of substantial base repair, both with P-Tex and Metalgrip. I'd personally avoid powder. I don't like powder. Arcticash has a tear and a nice gouge right up along the edge, with his edges from all appearance cobbled and in need of some love, too. The altogether parsimonious repair as you proffer, subsisting of rudimentary P-Tex and scrape would never be acceptable to any competent shop I know such as the "idiot" aforementioned who automatically and no less include via standard process final light machining/finish, hand edge polishing and gumming and hot waxing so as to assure total base continuity throughout and the job done right. Oh, and at no substantial upcharge. Anything less would simply never be acceptable. Well, at least to some. You have a good day and keep your expert pejoratives coming.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sat 5-01-19 6:29; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Fcuk me you talk some bollox man!
Get out (of your own back bottom) much?
latest report
I'm happy to fly 5000 miles for a spyderjon service. @arcsinice, having what apears to be an anal fixation to race perfection for what you slide on is pointless for even a really good recreational skier. Unless there is some obvious shape distortion to the base or truly boogered edge repairs we can happily slide around on quite ugly bases that we will feel no discernible problem with. In fact, for some of us, a perfect ski would be more than a bit intimidating. Accelerating too quickly, edges too quick to grab and hold when all we want to do is smear a turn.

And let's be quite clear . . . There are plenty of shops that will use a 'light grind' as an alternative to the more labour and time consuming effort of a competent hand job (pun intended)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy