Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Selva - Munich. Quick stop in Zillertall?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, My husband and I are spending Xmas in Selva, flying in/out of Munich and hiring a car. We fancy stopping off for 1 or 2 days at a different resort on the drive back to Munich. We are mid-high intermediates. I'm just looking for advice on where to stop, Hochzillertal seems not too much of a detour. Can anyone advise if this is a good option (or suggest anything better)? Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Assuming you're driving over the Brenner Stubai would be an obvious choice
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, Hochzillertal is a nice area and not that well known by Brits. There is ample uplift capacity as two gondolas run in parallel from the Kaltenbach base station, and Kaltenbach has its own good ski area which links across to the Hochfügen ski area. I can recommend the hotel Alpina in the nearby village of Ried, the ski bus goes from just outside the hotel to the Kaltenbach base station so although there is ample free car parking at Kaltenbach base station the ski bus allows you to indulge in some apres ski drinks if that takes your fancy. Smile
I posted a few tips about Kaltenbach/Hochfügen in this thread: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2742972&highlight=kaltenbach#2742972

Hope this helps. snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the replies and the recommendations. I've just looked at that hotel but there's no availability for when we'll be there, probably because it's peak time, just before New Year. The link you have given to the other thread is very useful and informative, thanks. I think this pit-stop might be a go-er Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We are staying at the Explorer hotel in Kaltenbach over Christmas and they are open to short stays.
https://www.explorer-hotels.com/zillertal/
Incidentally we will be just around the corner from Selva a couple of weeks later.
Good luck with your trip.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Alastair Pink wrote:
Hochzillertal is a nice area and not that well known by Brits

Yes, we liked it and a decent amount of skiing and variety. Not many English voices on the slopes. Its pretty quiet up to Boxing Day then it ramps up as the locals and Germans hit. If you are after a private lesson contact SaraJ on here

Alastair Pink wrote:
There is ample uplift capacity as two gondolas run in parallel from the Kaltenbach base station,

If you are only there for a couple of days, make sure you take the faster one! The one on the right as you look up that doesn't stop at the middle station Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Actually much of the time the "faster" lift is actually the same speed. I timed it. The one that stops a few metres higher up the hill is handy, cos you get to bypass the main ski school area.
I believe they're totally demolishing the restaurant that's at the slightly higher top station, so no idea what that'll be like (I plan to go there maybe 1 weekend in January, so I'll find out then). edit: oh and one of the old 4-man chairlifts is now a 10-er gondola too.

If it's a 2 day ticket, then that's an area pass, so you can do Kaltenbach-Hochfugen one day and Zell am Ziller another. Parking is extensive and free at both. If it's tanking it down with snow, I tend to pick Kaltenbach because there's a covered parking garage that's totally free - save's clearing snow off the car at the end of the day Wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
andy wrote:
Actually much of the time the "faster" lift is actually the same speed. I timed it. The one that stops a few metres higher up the hill is handy, cos you get to bypass the main ski school area.
I believe they're totally demolishing the restaurant that's at the slightly higher top station, so no idea what that'll be like (I plan to go there maybe 1 weekend in January, so I'll find out then

Funny as we used to sit in one passing cabins on the other one so seemed faster.

Ageeed its handy to finish a bit higher up. We used to take it down as well as some werent up to the black all the way down , indeed it wasnt a pleasant one.

Our kids' ski school did their lunches in that restaurant ans it was a bit tired.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks so much for all your advice. All booked Very Happy Selva Dec 19th - 27th, then a quick stop in Hochzillertall 28th and 29th before the flight home on 30th. Thanks again all.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy