Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kingpin 10 vs 13

Poster: A snowHead
I'm considering getting Marker Kingpins for my new set up and was wondering which one would be the better option. I currently run a din of 7ish but have just got new boots with a shorter BSL so it should go up. Checking out din settings on here http://www.mechanicsofsport.com/skiing/equipment/bindings/din-calculator.html reckons i should be running either 6 if i set it as a level 3 or 8.5 if i go level 3+. 6 seems kind of low and 8.5 seems pretty high so assuming i ended up with something in between, is there any reason to go for the 13s? A guy i spoke to in a shop said you're better off just going for the higher one but the 13 starts at 6 which seemed potentially a little close if i decided level 3 was the correct rating.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bindings will generally work best if you are close to the middle of their DIN range, so if you're a 6, a binding that goes 3-9 would be ideal. If you're an 8.5 you want something that goes 6-12 or similar.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
From what I gather that whole theory about better to be in the middle of the binding range doesn't really hold water - if a binding is certified to work at DIN 6, it will work perfectly at DIN 6, otherwise it wouldn't get the certification.

Can't remember if the Kingpin is actually DIN rated though? I've just bough at pair of the 13s, mostly as considering they're tech toes I want the stronger spring for reliability.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
telford_mike wrote:
Bindings will generally work best if you are close to the middle of their DIN range.....

That may have been the case 'back in the day' but it's no longer true. Bindings have to function accurately throughout their full din range & having torque tested hundreds of them (including the Kingpin) that's my findings as well.

el nombre, the Kingpin 10 & 13 are identical apart their din range & either one will work for you but if you've been running on 7 & now have a shorter boot (sufficiently shorter to move a column on the din chart) then the 10 din version will be fine. And it's a bit cheaper too.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
clarky999 wrote:
From what I gather that whole theory about better to be in the middle of the binding range doesn't really hold water - if a binding is certified to work at DIN 6, it will work perfectly at DIN 6, otherwise it wouldn't get the certification.

Can't remember if the Kingpin is actually DIN rated though? I've just bough at pair of the 13s, mostly as considering they're tech toes I want the stronger spring for reliability.

Yes the Kingpin is din certified however the heavier heel springs have no bearing on reliability (both models have to perform within tolerance) & the springs in the toe are the same in both models.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

Yes the Kingpin is din certified however the heavier heel springs have no bearing on reliability (both models have to perform within tolerance) & the springs in the toe are the same in both models.

You're the expert so I'll bow to your wisdom (and you're def right it's DIN certified - I half-remembered some chat about some TUV certification for touring bindings rather than actual DIN), but Wild Snow definitely suggest the toe springs are different (black vs grey), and 'slightly stronger' in the 13 DIN version:

Quote:
DIN (nice to be able to call it that): One model goes from 5 to 10, model with black toe springs adjusts from 6 to 13 — and yes Virginia the black toe springs are slightly stronger and everyone will of course want them.

https://www.wildsnow.com/14363/marker-kingpin-binding-review

So I figured they must be a bit more robust and perform a bit better retention-wise. Or have I misunderstood?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@clarky999, funny that the parts manual only lists one spring/model number wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@spyderjon, haha fair enough!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hey! Is it really a difference between the Kingpin10 and 13 toes? I´ve seen people claiming that there´s higher retention in the 13 toes, but also others claiming that at the end, the parts manual doesnt show any difference…
Can anyone please clarify of proof any of these versions?
Thank you very much!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
As far as why I´m asking this: I have a Brand new pair of Kingpin 13s affected by the recall. Right now I´m in South America and the importer here can only offer me Kingpin 10 (silver springs) to replace mine... and Im out there everyday and its a pain in the ash to ski and tour around with that bug feeling that you might be in Deep poo-poo at any momento....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As far as why I´m asking this: I have a Brand new pair of Kingpin 13s affected by the recall. Right now I´m in South America and the importer here can only offer me Kingpin 10 (silver springs) to replace mine... and Im out there everyday and its a pain in the ash to ski and tour around with that bug feeling that you might be in Deep poo-poo at any momento....
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spyderjon wrote:
@clarky999, funny that the parts manual only lists one spring/model number wink

Is this checked???
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
clarky999 wrote:
spyderjon wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

You're the expert so I'll bow to your wisdom (and you're def right it's DIN certified - I half-remembered some chat about some TUV certification for touring bindings rather than actual DIN), but Wild Snow definitely suggest the toe springs are different (black vs grey), and 'slightly stronger' in the 13 DIN version:

Quote:
DIN (nice to be able to call it that): One model goes from 5 to 10, model with black toe springs adjusts from 6 to 13 — and yes Virginia the black toe springs are slightly stronger and everyone will of course want them.

https://www.wildsnow.com/14363/marker-kingpin-binding-review

So I figured they must be a bit more robust and perform a bit better retention-wise. Or have I misunderstood?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@SouthSkier, strength/functionality there's no difference but if you need to continue to use your bindings and you want the 13 toes then simply get your retailer/importer to loan you a pair of 10 toes until the replacement 13 toes arrive from Marker Germany. This is Markers problem not yours so it's their responsibility to keep you on the snow. Plus 13's are dearer than 10's so unless they're offering some cash back I'd be wanting the 13's.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 9-08-18 20:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for the answer.
Yes, I know they are cheaper, but since I’m keeping the heels with the 13Din spring, I just want to know if the mixture: 13 heels - 10 toes would affect the functionality. I’m quite a big dude at 190/200lbs and find at 11/12 most of the time....
snow conditions
Of course I’ll try to get my full set back after this trip...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy