Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes with a learning disabled teen who can ski a bit

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We're looking at a 2019 April trip to Tignes with our family of four boys.

Our 15 year old son has Downs syndrome and for the last three trips he's been in ski school in the mornings and been entertained in the afternoons by a family relative (non skier) who has come along with us.

He's made slow but steady progress learning, but likes to ski at a slowish pace.

What we think would work really well would be to have some sort of buddy skiing with him for all six days, rather than ski school, who could just encourage him slowly, ski the resort, take breaks when he's tired, play a bit, etc.

Is this sort of thing available anywhere, or particularly in tignes? Or is it the sort of thing that has the ESF foaming at the mouth in terms of unlawful tuition on their patch? Might the nanny services cater like that for an older client?

Cheers for any help / experience!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No reason why ESF should object. They would do it, of course, but it would be v expensive. Is there a skiing friend or relative you could take? Someone who knows your son? Better if demonstrably a companion/friend and NOT an instructor, which could raise various problems.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sadly no one fits the bill that we know. Agree ESF could do it for a hefty fee!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Maybe try to find someone through SHs? A friendly youngster who would welcome a free holiday and is caring and responsible.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My sister is disabled and needs someone with her to ski. We started out on the lesson route, which was very expensive the more she wanted to ski as she needed one to one. The instructor suggested we tried to get her a ski companion. This is now what we do, they don't teach her so they don't need to be an instructor (thus avoiding a lot of problems), they simply ski with her, offer assistance with getting on and off lifts, if she falls, carrying her lunch and equipment etc and provide companionship.

We have found people a variety of ways, here, facebook, the disabled ski clubs etc. We ask they get to the destination airport themselves and bring or hire their own equipment, then we fund transfers, room, breakfast and evening meals, lift pass (which you can get at a carers rate if they are unable to ski alone in most resorts). She generally only skis for a few hours before and after lunch so they can do their own thing outside that time, she also doesn't ski everyday and so they usually get at least one full day to themselves (often they choose to ski with someone else in the family).

It has been really successful, she has had several people return more than once, two guys have been 4 times each, so they obviously like the set up! Give me a shout if you need any pointers, but I would suggest work out what you would like them to do, work out how you would offer it and advertise on here for a start and see if anyone is interested. I also recommend meeting up beforehand, maybe somewhere you can have a little ski together in the UK to check all parties are happy.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
May I point out that Tignes might not the best place for your kind of trip. Of course I do not know how good he skis by now, but for at least learning.skiing I would not choose Tignes.

But I do not have any experience in this field. You probably have searched the net yourself but I just came across this:
http://ski2freedom.com/en/locations-europe
http://www.downssideup.com/2016/02/skiing-with-kids-with-downs-syndrome.html

The ski companion system like mentioned seems a good choice as well.

This ski school in Åre only takes people with special needs: http://www.totalskidskolan.se/

However Tignes offers what you look for:
http://ski2freedom.com/en/locations-europe/france/tignes#skiSchools
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy