Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Struggling to sharpen Fischer RC4 Jr SL Skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My son has a couple of pairs of Fischer RC4 Jr SL Skis. I am finding it increasingly difficult to get the edges sharp. None of my files are having much of an impression. I've tried stripping the sidewall away but it isn't having much of an effect. I think the issue is related to what appears to be a strip of metal just above the edge. I suspect it may be a harder piece of material and the files aren't touching it. I've tried the sidewall scraper on it and can remove some of it but it seems very hard.

Anyone else had this issue with these skis?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Gaza, not experienced this on RC4s, ours just have white softish plastic above the edge. have you edges been tuned a great deal (I assume these are the new ones replacing the bubbly ones).You could have case hardening all the way along the ski if they have been used on dry slope exclusively? But Spyderjon will be your man on this....he knows these skis inside out....Jon..you there?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@valais2, yes, it is the newer pair that I'm having most of the problems with. They have only been used on mat for 2 races. Most of the other uses have been at Braehead and a long weekend in Landgraaf. When my son was in Landgraaf his coach tried to sharpen them and had the same issue. Ironically, the pair he trains on (mostly on mat) have been more obliging!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yep, the end of that titanal layer is pretty tough on the latest RC4's.

On the ones I've done I slightly trimmed back the sidewall above the titanal layer and then used a good quality (ie sharp) milled file to 'back file' the very top of the side edge angle including thin strip of lower sidewall and the exposed titanal metal layer. Back filing is filing at a steeper angle than that of the side edge (I use 7/83 degrees) to blend everything in. Remember that you're not setting the whole side edge to 7/83 degrees, you're just blending the top of the side edge in to the sidewall to ensure that the're no abrupt step. It also moves the titanal layer back out of the way so hopefully you won't have to repeat the process again.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks @spyderjon. It has been a tough weekend at the All England Champs with a 10 year old complaining his skis were "rubbish" Very Happy . Last night at the charity "Dash for Cash" the skis became quite an attraction. Everyone seemed to have an opinion on how to solve the issue. There were quite a few who didn't believe the issue was real until they tried to pull the file and found it simply glided across the edge. I eventually spent a lot of time with a sidewall stripper adjusted to take any some of the titanal layer. It had a bit of an effect but no much. One edge was particularly awkward so we ended up with 3 reasonably sharp and one not so sharp.

I'm not 100% sure I understand how to back file. I only have 87, 88 and 89 guides and the skis are currently set to 88 so I'm guessing that 87 would be enough. My Skiman Bravo Sharp does go down to 85 but I'm a bit wary of using it.

The one ski (or more accurately edge) that was the most problematic seems to have another issue. Again, the thoughts of the collective at Silksworth was that a base grind may be needed. The main issue I have is the Scottish and British are coming up shortly so I need to do something. Sad
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Gaza wrote:
I'm not 100% sure I understand how to back file. I only have 87, 88 and 89 guides and the skis are currently set to 88 so I'm guessing that 87 would be enough. My Skiman Bravo Sharp does go down to 85 but I'm a bit wary of using it......

Set the Bravo Sharp to 85 and then apply a few layers of tape to the faceplate to shim it up to 87'ish. Have a few practice runs on an old ski. Feel free to call me if you want me to talk you through the process.

The one ski (or more accurately edge) that was the most problematic seems to have another issue.....([/quote]
What's the problem?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers @spyderjon. After I wrote this I went out to the garage and pulled out the Skiman Bravo from a cupboard. I haven't used it much as I felt it was too unstable and I was worried about wonky edges. However, I watched a video and saw it being used with the vices tilted at an angle. I decided to give it a go and put the course belt on it. I started on the edge that gave most of the problems and it seemed to work. I then did all the other edges and my son declared himself happy with the sharpness. Toofy Grin

I haven't tried to run a normal file along the edges but will try that tomorrow. If there is still an issue then I'll experiment with what you suggested. I'm assuming when you say "shim it up to 87'ish" that you mean 83/7?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yep, sorry I meant 83/7.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy