Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hiring/Buying Boots/Skis For Teenagers

Poster: A snowHead
My son, 16, has decided that skiing is something he'll be doing a huge amount of in the near future and is saving up to buy his own skis (just as I did, at exactly the same age, before not skiing again for 32 years). Buying the skis isn't the problem, the problem is boots and bindings. He doesn't suffer the excruciating pain I do from rental boots, so it makes sense for him to continue to hire them until we're sure his feet aren't changing size and shape much. But then does that mean he'd have to choose a ski package with a track mounted binding, which would limit the choice to AFAIK Head?

Thoughts?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 5-09-18 17:56; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
K2s?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Penry, You can buy a flat mount ski and then get a pair of demo/ rental marker squires from spyderjon

https://thepisteoffice.com/index.php/the-piste-office-store/alpine-touring-bindings/marker-bindings/marker-squire/marker-squire-11-357-detail.html
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Most bindings have some adjustment in the heel so you can go up or down one mondo size. For example, I think Marker Griffon and Jesters have 2.5cm adjustment. Others may be able to confirm, but if you wind the adjustment forwards and mount the heel back, you may go two mondo point sizes up. After that, remount the heel.

Or there are other track/rail/demo bindings than Head.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Zorrac, thanks that looks like a useful bit of kit. One to bear in mind if there's a bargain for ski only.

@Themasterpiece, OK, so I could select a standard BSL for his boot size, (the BSL for my boots would be ideal Twisted Evil ), then adjust. Is it feasible to DIY in the ski hire shop? Or do I rely on hire shop's generosity? Do all bindings have a similar amount of leeway?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think the flat ski and installing separate rail bindings are the way to go.

@Themasterpiece, OK, so I could select a standard BSL for his boot size, (the BSL for my boots would be ideal Twisted Evil ), then adjust. Is it feasible to DIY in the ski hire shop? Or do I rely on hire shop's generosity? Do all bindings have a similar amount of leeway?[/quote]

I think I understand your question - for any particular mondo size, the BSL could vary a bit depending on make and model. Adjusting bindings is pretty easy, you only need to borrow the screw driver. Most hire shops will do it for you or help you out I’d guess. Some may want you to sign something to say you take responsibility or whatever.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Its probably not worth it.
Cost to take skis on a flight, he may as well rent.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Themasterpiece, yes, you've guessed what i really meant. Very Happy thanks.

@Mr.Egg, pros and cons. There are worse things he could be spending his money on.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Penry, plenty of manufacturers do skis with adjustable bindings, especially for their piste/all mountain ranges. The Völkl RTM 84s that I fell in love with last year, for example, only come with an integrated system binding. No good if you want to mount a different binding Crying or Very sad but perfect if you want to use different sized boots. I don't think your son will be short of options if he goes down that route.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you are lucky then at age 16 your son's feet won't be growing much more.

Penry wrote:
Or do I rely on hire shop's generosity?

If you are hiring boots, with your own skis, I would have thought most hire shops would still adjust the bindings to fit, provided they have a common adjustment mechanism.

But be aware that if you get boots with a longer BSL than previously you may want to reduce the DIN setting slightly.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just had a day on a moguls course and Jnr's complaining about rental boots hurting for the first time. My guess is that he used to ski in a style that enabled him to remain relatively comfortable in any boot but skiing more dynamically means greater forces and more discomfort. Maybe it's worth looking at getting some boots fitted instead of buying skis, but I don't know if it's worth it at 16. I don't want to trust to luck @ecureuil, unless there's a way of mitigating against a sudden growth spurt.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Penry, what foot size is he?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Penry, I think my feet stopped growing before I was 16.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@NickyJ, 9.5 same as me although I'm sure I was 10+ at some point but probably just allowing for growth that stopped happening.

@rjs, did you keep on growing height-wise?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Penry, Yes, grew a fair bit after that.

Have also coached plenty of kids of that age who haven't had problems growing out of properly fitted race boots.
ski holidays
@rjs, Interesting, maybe boots are the way to go. Then the dilemma of when/where to get fitted; UK pre-season, UK in-season, in resort.
snow conditions
He may very well outgrow the ski at the same rate as outgrowing his show size... But at 16 there probably isn't that much more to go.
snow report
@flangesax, I think we've come to the same conclusion. Not necessarily outgrow just in terms of height, but ability, power and favoured terrain.

Anyway, he's already spent his savings on a pair of plimsolls, customised Nike air something somethings and I imagine is relying on the bank of mum and dad for the boots. They're not the sexiest things to be saving up for I admit; we'll have to come to some arrangement.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy