Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas St Anton or Lech

Poster: A snowHead
Hello from Canada

I've decided to go for it and break the ties with Christmas at home. However, I am still looking for 'magical' for the family as we are travelling with our daughters 18 and 10. Daughters have been on skis a couple of times and are strong figure skaters. They are adventurous. I would say, we are high level beginners to novice intermediates. We are looking for the memorable family picture with the peaks in the background where we are on top of the world. Would love to do lunch high on the mountain. For Christmas Eve, would love a nice Christmas dinner and to go to a Service.
Questions:

Lech or St Anton. Which would suggest for a Christmas Eve experience? And, for skiing ... is St Anton that advance that we should head to Lech? Is it easy to go between the two towns?
We are planning on being in the area Dec 23rd -27th.

If my husband is not into skiing, is he able to go up to the restaurants on the mountain?

Thanks bunches!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Definitely Lech Smile

Though not much for husband to do other than get stuck into the champagne...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to SHs, @sunnysam333. I've never been to Lech - always thought it looked good but could never afford it. So I can't advise - but have a wonderful Christmas! snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@sunnysam333, Hey. Both wonderful places and very festive at Christmas, I'll be in St Anton with my wife like most festive periods this coming Christmas, and we always have a wonderful chilled time (as opposed to New Year which is crazy). We also stay in Lech mid January (b&b cheapish place in the back of town in the bad-lands wink ), powder heaven last season and tbph at Christmas i'd suggest for the full jingle-bells festive experience Lech can't be beaten but it is VERY expensive so I guess its a budget decision. Restaurants are accessible from town via the cable car to Oberlech for skiers/ non skiers alike and some good ones also for apres ski on lower slopes by hiking up paths, and in Lech too. Its an awesome experience and you'd love it, suggest looking at Hotel Cresta in Oberlech for stay (accessiblle via gondola) and/ or meals if you stay elsewhere, fantastic spa area too. Horse/ speigh rides and posh people watching all avaiulable (the latter FOC, the former not so)......maybe even an ouside ice rink, not sure though on that.

PM if you need any other info, can recommend loads of bars/ restaurants but dont want to bore anyone stupid! Also going to Warth/ Schroeken (magical place) and St Anton is very easy and super quiet that time of season, great time to ski, cant wait was only looking at photos last evening!

Also - Lech will be better than St Anton for your family level of skiing, great blues and reds wheras St Anton can be quite full-on......but defeinitely worth going there for 1-2 days hop-over the lifts. Warth, also easyish skiing is better accessed from Lech than St Anton, and great entry level, rolling offpiste. Also magical huts I can tell you about if you want to PM me. We're all around there mountainbiking and hiking this coming weekend for 10 days, just as good in the summer as winter.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Markymark29, never been to Oberlech - do the lifts operate in the evening so you can get back from Lech to Oberlech if you want to go down - I presume there is a bigger choice of restaurants/bars in Lech? Or is it just a hike back?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Definitely Lech.
Prettier, more snow secure (especially in village), easier skiing.
Oberlech is connected by cablecar which runs until 01.00 am
But indeed Lech has more to offer, and in Lech lots of acco's are close to pistes and lifts too.

Main issue: 23-27 december is virtually impossible.
99,9% of accomodation will require a booking until Saturday 29 december.(also in St.Anton and other alpine resorts)
If available at all. Lech is extremely sought after in this period, exactly because of its pretty village and the snow.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 23-08-18 9:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@riman8, As @Langerzug, says runs until 1am
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@sunnysam333, really depends on budget I suppose. Lech will fit your criteria better and really is something special. If you can afford Oberlech that would be my tip. Stayed there twice and absolutely loved it. Lech would be my choice (if you have the funds). It will be more expensive than St Anton but not outrageously so.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Though I stay in St Anton, I would also vote for Lech for what you are seeking. Cannot add much to @Markymark29’s description.

If you can afford it, you will love it - money well-spent.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lech/Obelech - no contest given your requirements.
You can reccy St Anton for future trips!
Oberlech is expensive but try the pensions right on edge of piste (only a few) like Pension Bergmähder . They sometimes include lift passes in their deals. Your planned duration may be a problem as observed above- generally you need to start trying to book earlier for Xmas in places like this.
Your daughters will love the toboggan run from oberlech to bottom of cablecar while you quaff champagne or beer or whatever.
Hubby can access a couple of mountain restaurants from Lech as he can from St Anton.
At the end of the day the runs into St Anton are likely to be very daunting for your level. Oberlech a doddle. Lech one short steep bit.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@clarky999, Thank you. Champagne not his thing ... Beer on the other hand. He will be in heaven. Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@pam w, Thank you! Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Markymark29, Thank you! And, greatly appreciate the offer to private message. I will do that for sure. Currently, looking to book the flights and hotel for now and will reach out in a week or two on restaurant ideas for Christmas Eve and Day. Thanks again for your graciousness. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Langerzug, Thank you for your insights. I found a hotel - double the price to St Anton. Big decision. We are also celebrating our 20th Anniversary -- so, maybe the hubby will go for it. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ulmerhutte, Thank you!
ski holidays
sunnysam333 wrote:
@Langerzug, Thank you for your insights. I found a hotel - double the price to St Anton. Big decision. We are also celebrating our 20th Anniversary -- so, maybe the hubby will go for it. Very Happy

Do it. As Warren Miller was famous for saying, “If you don’t do it this year, you will be another year older when you do!”.
ski holidays
@Markymark29 appears still a bit in denial about Lech, reading his "b&b cheapish place in the back of town in the bad-lands"
I happen to remember where he was staying, and can say he is playing it down slightly here... Toofy Grin
@sunnysam333, I noticed there still is a small number of hotels available (probably due to 26 December being a Wednesday, hence not much days left after Christmas until 29 December, and thus interesting to allow bookings 23-27 for some accomodations) Good for you! Curious to know which one you are looking at! Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 23-08-18 11:42; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
All good advice. Kids will progress faster than you imagine being skaters (once met an instructor in Canada who said his best ever pupil was a retired NHL player - like straight to parallel and black runs in the first couple of days good).

18 year old may prefer St Anton for the apres/action (though for similar reasons you may not).
ski holidays
@Langerzug, That was last year, this next years place is cheaper, last year was great, i'm sure this next season will be too.
snow conditions
My kids and niece and nephew once mucked around on holiday with a lad who was an ice hockey player. They were all on blades. He could make excellent turns with his blades one behind the other in a straight line. My niece - a gymnast and dancer - tried valliantly to emulate him but had inadequately mobile hips for a true 180 turn-out.
snow report
One of my most memorable Christmas experiences was in a small hotel in Lech. Christmas Eve dinner (which was excellent) was followed by a couple of the guests giving readings around the tree. All in German as we were the only British guests, but the hotel owner found another guest who spoke excellent English and he sat next to us and translated.
latest report
@sunnysam333, try this place, will be quieter then Lech but hopefully cheaper and easily skiable to Lech. They should do you a package price including lift pass.

Fantastic food and gym, wellness area etc and a few more bars in the small village (and a church). My daughters often came back for the pool if the weather closed in!

https://www.hubertushof-arlberg.at/en/
latest report
@Markymark29, very curious which slums you are referring to Toofy Grin
snow report
@kitenski, Thank you! You've thrown in another great option. Seems to be a lovely hotel with highlighted Christmas Eve festivities. Question: Was it easy to get to St Anton and Lech to walk around if we feel Stuben is a little too quiet?
snow conditions
@Valkyrie, Thank you for your share.
Very Happy
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes, Thank you! I was thinking the same thing re: 18 yr old and St Anton. However, she is getting her wish and we are heading to Prague for New Years. My first priority is the 10 yr old and I am sensing Lech is a better fit for her. I don't want to scare her from the sport. She is a strong skater too, however, only on skis twice last season. She picked it up fast however she is the more cautious one of the four of us.
ski holidays
@Langerzug, Well.. I was looking at Hotel Aurelio Lech Madeye-Smiley ... lol... just not in the budget this year. We are really considering Hotel Hubertushof in Stuben. Great pricing compared to Lech and it has the Christmas festivities which seems magical for me. However, concerned the town is a bit too quiet - but, not sure that matters as we could travel into Lech or St Anton for an adventure out. Your thoughts?
ski holidays
@sunnysam333, I love the skiing above Steuben but it’s not an ideal place to be based imo, I’m sure the hotel is great (most are) but we’ve stayed there only once in Stuben and it’s pretty limiting, especially for the type of skiing you describe. I’d recommend Lech every time.

We stayed here last season, really nice welcoming people, great wellness and ideal location for your needs https://www.stuelzis.com/startseite/

Walking distance to the main restaurants and lifts and church service. Views over the slopes. With respect Stuben is very limited in that respect and also requires a high ski standard to get the best from local slopes, you will likely need to catch buses a lot. Plus it is remote....I’ll be driving through there tomorrow though so will stop for a coffee at Post Hotel, very nice hotel.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Langerzug, no slums😜was messing, it’s just a small pension around the church area somewhere, handy for the pizza restaurant and evening toboggans from Oberlech. It’s a great town to ski from, this with St Anton week after make the best 2 week stay for us, very different experiences, same ski area.
latest report
sunnysam333 wrote:
@Langerzug, Well.. I was looking at Hotel Aurelio Lech Madeye-Smiley ... lol... just not in the budget this year. We are really considering Hotel Hubertushof in Stuben. Great pricing compared to Lech and it has the Christmas festivities which seems magical for me. However, concerned the town is a bit too quiet - but, not sure that matters as we could travel into Lech or St Anton for an adventure out. Your thoughts?

Stüben is a pretty village, and I bet it is romantic by night. That said, it is small and quiet. You could head into StA or Lech by taxi for more lively entertainment.

If you have a non-skier in your group, I think it would be quite limiting, and again would involve taxis to get to StA or Lech. You could take the bus that runs from Langen to Zürs/Lech via Stüben, but that would be a bit of messing about.

Despite its attractions, I think Lech is much better bet for what you want.

Warth might be worth considering, but I have only skied there and have never gone into the actual town. I understand that @Markymark29 has stayed there, so he could offer further insights.

I spend over a month each year in StA - it was 7 weeks this last Jan/Feb and it will be 8 weeks for 2019 - but we stay with the same people each year, and do not really go out much at night. I can therefore talk a bit about the Arlberg and skiing, but my knowledge of accomm and night-life, especially outside StA, is very limited. PM me if you have questions that you think I could answer.
snow report
@sunnysam333,
Stuben -as mentioned- will probably not work for you. Access to the skiing area is not easy, and also access by road to both Lech and St.Anton is via a mountainpass. And Stuben is tiny.
Warth: similar size as Stuben, no sunshine in December and the road to Lech is closed in winter.

Maybe Zürs could work for you. It is just 5 km from Lech, and actually officially part of Lech. Zürs lacks atmosphere because it is above the treeline and nothing more than a dozen of luxury hotels along the mountainpass. (but the likeliness of a white Christmas is best here Very Happy )
There is a free bus every 10 minutes to Lech till very late, and both are also connected by lift and pistes. All the hotels are 4-5 star, but at better prices than Lech, and in Austrian chalet style, so atmosphere inside is 'guaranteed' if you are looking for that. I noticed there still is some availability.

By the way, Hotel Aurelio is a 'famous' place. It is owned by Russian oligarch Oleg Deripaska...(in Lech it is impossible to buy real estate as 2nd home; the only way to go is to buy a complete hotel)
ski holidays
Hotel Hubertushof is excellent and a lot cheaper than Oberlech. Was last there in March this year having last stayed there in 2007 or so. The food really is excellent as are the facilities. Personally I think the access to the skiing is pretty good as you can beat the st Anton crowds to Zurs/Lech etc. Downside being there’s not much happening at night but the hotel itself is reasonably busy and atmospheric as are a couple of other hotels in town.
snow report
@sunnysam333, you could taxi/bus to Lech if you felt Stuben was too quiet. I went to that hotel about 5 years on the trot, with the wellness centre + the good evening meals we never felt we needed to go anywhere else at night. But I didn't have a non skier with us and we are not party animals!

If money was no object then Lech would be "the" place to stay, but for us Stuben was great quality at a much better price.

I can't believe people saying access to the skiing area is not easy. It's simple! From the hotel you take the lift down to the piste (yes really!!). Pop your skis on, ski down to the Albona 1 lift which is an old 2 man chair. Up that, then a blue run down to Flexenbahn for access to Zurs/Lech or heated chairlift Valfagehrbahn to get to St Anton. I've taken 10 year old kids on those routes and the only "tough" bit was about 3 turns coming out of Albona 1 to get onto the blue.
ski holidays
@kitenski, in high season the Trittkopf-Zürs pistes is a mogul field from 10 am. Similar as Valfagehr.
Madloch is not good for early intermediates either. Check OP’s description!
That’s what I’m talking about.
snow report
Also: we are talking Christmas here. In general Madloch still is closed that time of year. Or very icy/rocky....And the Trittkopf-Albona-Rauz area very scratchy too...
snow conditions
@Langerzug, can you not download to avoid that piste? Or just take the bus!
latest report
@kitenski, it’s not about me Cool
And, apart from that, in my book download or bus are not a good or easy connection.
latest report
Lech would be magical at Christmas.....a wonderful place.
snow conditions
Lech is much posher and prettier than St Anton (since they canned the railway).

Oberlech is where the proper snobs hang out. You are higher up and get to sneer at the poor people lower down the hill in Lech.

But neither is "magical".

For that, you really need to visit somewhere chocolate-boxy, like Zermatt, Klosters, Murren, Cortina, or Deer Valley.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy