Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2018 - 2019 (Useful links are added to the first post)

Poster: A snowHead
@rob@rar, Yes I’m pretty sure you can , This is the inter- station agreement for Ste Foy pass it normally works visa versa , on my season pass in Ste Foy I get a free day in espace Killy , Les Arcs. La Plagne and as many 1/2 price days as I like in La Rosiere/ Le Thuille .

This is the agreement last year .

Inter resort Agreements 2017 -2018

Attention: Presentation of a valid ticket and receipt mandatory at ticket offices.

With a Sainte Foy pass of 6 days or more, purchased at the public tariff, you can benefit from the following advantages during your visit:

• 1 day in Espace Killy purchased for 30€ (Tignes/Les Brévières OR Val d’Isère/La Daille)
• 1 day in Les Arcs purchased in Villaroger or at the Bourg Saint Maurice funicular railway, or the departure in Peisey-Vallandry, at sale points at Vallandry or Mélèzes for 30€ (multiple purchases permitted)
• 1 day in Espace San Bernardo bought at La Rosière (Les Eucherts) for 30€ + 2€ ski pass support
(multiple purchases permitted
• 1 day in La Plagne purchased in Montchavin-Les Coches for 30€ + 1€ ski pass suppor

The inter-resort agreements opening from 17 December 2017 to the 14th April 2018 in Tignes, Val d’Isère, La Plagne and the 17th April 2018 in Les Arcs and La Rosière San Bernardo

These agreements are subject to the snow conditions in the respective resorts.
Holders of 6 day or more passes from the above-mentioned resorts may purchase day passes for Sainte-Foy for 18,50€/day, multiple purchases permitted. (Valid only once for clients from Tignes and Val d’Isère).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Rob Mackley, thanks, very helpful.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar wrote:
sbooker wrote:
Just another few minutes if staying in 1950/2000?
No, I'd add another 20-25 minutes on top of that. Arc 1950 is not on the same side of the hill as Arc 1800 just slightly higher up, it's on the other side of a big ridge in a different valley. Quite some distance by car (much quicker on skis).

By road, it's almost exactly 10km from 1600 to 1950 , so yes, a fair few minutes extra (especially in snow!).

We like going over to Villaroger, pistes on that side are usually very quiet, and the on piste stays untracked for a lot longer after a dump.
The only downside is relatively slow lift access into the rest of the Arcs domain - you need 3 fairly old lifts to get there (yes: you can do it on 2 old plus 1 brand new, but the track to that lift is very shallow, albeit pretty through the trees, so takes even longer) so you should allow 30 mins to get from the Villaroger station into the 2000 bowl.

Rob Mackley thanks: good intel.

I think the option of going into Club Med at lunchtime is probably (for regular Arcistas anyway) likely to be a one-off, as the way in did seem, in the summer at least, quite a bit off the Mont Blanc piste. Unless of course it is fabuous food at sensible prices, in which case...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@rob@rar, any idea how easy it is to park in Villaroger to access the lifts from there?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GeorgeVII wrote:
@rob@rar, any idea how easy it is to park in Villaroger to access the lifts from there?
No idea I'm afraid, I've only ever skied to the village.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
GeorgeVII wrote:

Usually it's much easier to park in the low satellite villages than the hiigher stations.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@GeorgeVII,

The car park is next to the lift , normally 5 metres walk to the lift office and another 10 metres to the lift , no joke .
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not sure how good the info is but it looks like the lifts start in Le Pre . Possibly a car park by that lift station.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Rob Mackley, . Thanks Rob M.

I'm looking at doing the reverse of what someone mentioned earlier. In Tignes for the season and looking to visit other resorts that I haven't tried.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Gear_Junkie, https://www.lesarcs-peiseyvallandry.ski/en/forfait-ski/saison-paradiski-1860/?sk%5B0%5D%5Bage%5D=69

You do not need to be a resident, just buy it before the end of November and be over 65
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
[
Quote:

Layne wrote:
It's getting a right slating.
Why is it getting a slating? I saw the video and thought it was a considerable improvement on a lot of the older large-scale buildings across the resort. Sure, I'd have preferred a couple of dozen chocolate-box style chalets, but the realities of commerce mean that was never on the cards. What was the criticism of the Club Med building?

It,s pretty ugly and doesn't fit into the landscape at all. What would cruise ship be doing halfway up a mountain.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar wrote:
Why is it getting a slating? I saw the video and thought it was a considerable improvement on a lot of the older large-scale buildings across the resort. Sure, I'd have preferred a couple of dozen chocolate-box style chalets, but the realities of commerce mean that was never on the cards. What was the criticism of the Club Med building?

'Older large-scale buildings'? You referring to anywhere in particular? wink Much of the architecture round here is a bit Marmitish, I would agree.

My view of it is that it doesn't seem to have tried to fit in with the existing architectural style at all; it might have been better if fully wood clad. Mind you, fitting in with some of Arc 1600's buildings was always going to be a challenge. I will be interested to see how it looks when there's snow all around.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I will be interested to see how it looks when there's snow all around.

It looked bad last winter. I see no reason to beleive it would look any better this winter.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnE wrote:
Quote:

I will be interested to see how it looks when there's snow all around.

It looked bad last winter. I see no reason to beleive it would look any better this winter.

Its very big.....January 2018

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Alastair, Laughing

@johnE, don't get me wrong, I'd have much preferred some smaller chalets built there, chocolate-box style, or perhaps those funky places around Arc 1600 with the very steep roofs if they wanted to tie in with the rest of the architecture. But realistically that was never going to be an option for a commercial development on that size plot alongside a piste. So it is what it is, and I think it could have been worse.
snow conditions
The bells, the bells...

10/10/2018 - France3 Alpes Journal Télévisé 19/20 : sujet sur le Carillon d'Arc 1800 from Service presse Les Arcs
https://vimeo.com/294521911

Looks like it will get more tuneful in Arc 1800 this season. What does a snow-damped bell sound like?
ski holidays
@rob@rar, I think it would be less obtusive if a/ it corresponded to the existing architecture of Arc1600, b/ was part of the village instead of being stuck a fairway above the village, c/ wasn't in the forest and d/wasn't directly on the piste but to one side like the UCPA building
ski holidays
@johnE, My concern is how busy it will make the area, ugly is out of my control
latest report
Quote:

perhaps those funky places around Arc 1600 with the very steep roofs if they wanted to tie in with the rest of the architecture

I stayed in one of those once. They are very inconvenient. No snow mobiles or vehicles are allowed on the piste so when you arrive you have to drag all your stuff up from 1600, It is a fair walk down to the shops and back from the bar. Access to the upstairs rooms means you have to go outside. On a Satuday afternoon you do come across people skiing down, dragging suitcases behind them.

Having said that they must be popular since I have never seen one for sale.
snow report
@thefatcontroller, Yep, 1400 more people at the lift(s) in the morning.

Full details are on https://www.clubmed.co.uk/r/Les-Arcs-Panorama/w?offer=Winter+ski+holidays

It is only £3000 per person for Christmas week with flight and lift pass included so I imagine all beds will be taken
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
I stayed in one of those once. They are very inconvenient. No snow mobiles or vehicles are allowed on the piste so when you arrive you have to drag all your stuff up from 1600, It is a fair walk down to the shops and back from the bar. Access to the upstairs rooms means you have to go outside. On a Saturday afternoon you do come across people skiing down, dragging suitcases behind them.
How very odd! I think they look very nice, but I've never stayed in one. When skiing past I've sometimes seen a snowmobile, but IIRC it was under a tarpaulin and now that you've mentioned it I've never seen one operate on the piste or the paths near those chalets. Even getting groceries must be a PITA in that case, never mind arriving with suitcases and ski bags.
snow report
@rob@rar, Mobiles (and cars) are permitted when the pistes are closed, but I am not sure when that is or how you deal with a piste basher.
latest report
@johnE, that 'photo' of the build is a bit disingenuous... about 90 degrees out of reality. Ho-hum PR people eh?
snow report
@Arctic Roll, which photo?
snow conditions
@thefatcontroller, https://www.clubmed.co.uk/r/Les-Arcs-Panorama/w?offer=Winter+ski+holidays JohnE's link
latest report
Arctic Roll wrote:
@thefatcontroller, https://www.clubmed.co.uk/r/Les-Arcs-Panorama/w?offer=Winter+ski+holidays JohnE's link

Makes it look pretty! I assume to 'get home' anyone staying there will have to head back up Mont Blanc or Cachette, there will be no lift/gondola up form 1600 into it?
snow report
@thefatcontroller, or Combouriciere, Ours, Arpette, Vagere or even the Transarc. No doubt the 2000 bus will stop nearby. I imagine the occupants of the Club Med will get no further into Arc1600 than the Cachette lift. You do occaisionally get UCPA people into a bar but not often and they leave early.
ski holidays
@johnE, Absolutely agree: why would you? You've paid top dollar for 'free' beer up the hill, looking for some local colour down the hill is a bit of keeping a dog and barking yourself, non?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Heard a heavy helicopter overhead a couple of days ago, so went to have a look - the Comborciere pylons are up:

It occurs to me that this may be the first lift I've used in two different resorts.
ski holidays
Alastair wrote:
It occurs to me that this may be the first lift I've used in two different resorts.
Laughing It's good to recycle.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
@Rob Mackley, that's a fine plan.

@sbooker if you were looking for a base in Villaroger this is a good option. No connection with the company other than as a happy customer, and they are a nice bunch of people.

Thanks gents. That’s pretty much what I was hoping to do but I pictured being in one of the Arc villages. How long would it take to get up to the main (over 1800m) ski areas in Les Arcs from Villaroger?
It does seem a very convenient spot to access Tignes and St Foy.
snow conditions
@sbooker, I have a place in Ste Foy so I go into Les Arcs a few times a season via Villaroger the 3 slow chairs put you above 2000 within 30 mins the great thing is the long descent at the end of the day and the if you have new snow cutting some turns early before anyone comes over from the 2000 valley .

Villaroger/Le Pre is a small village , it isn’t a resort so no nightlife but a great base to ski The Haute Tarentaise .

Check out Ski Villaroger .
latest report
Arctic Roll wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
sbooker wrote:
Just another few minutes if staying in 1950/2000?
No, I'd add another 20-25 minutes on top of that. Arc 1950 is not on the same side of the hill as Arc 1800 just slightly higher up, it's on the other side of a big ridge in a different valley. Quite some distance by car (much quicker on skis).

By road, it's almost exactly 10km from 1600 to 1950 , so yes, a fair few minutes extra (especially in snow!).

We like going over to Villaroger, pistes on that side are usually very quiet, and the on piste stays untracked for a lot longer after a dump.
The only downside is relatively slow lift access into the rest of the Arcs domain - you need 3 fairly old lifts to get there (yes: you can do it on 2 old plus 1 brand new, but the track to that lift is very shallow, albeit pretty through the trees, so takes even longer) so you should allow 30 mins to get from the Villaroger station into the 2000 bowl.

Rob Mackley thanks: good intel.

I think the option of going into Club Med at lunchtime is probably (for regular Arcistas anyway) likely to be a one-off, as the way in did seem, in the summer at least, quite a bit off the Mont Blanc piste. Unless of course it is fabuous food at sensible prices, in which case...

Thanks. I didn’t see this until after I posted the question.
latest report
Fabulous photos of Comborciere being replaced here.

http://www.leforumdeparadiski.fr/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=4479&start=30
latest report
I see the 10% early booking discount doesn't apply on top of the family discount. I'll wait a bit before booking then...
snow report
Alastair wrote:
Heard a heavy helicopter overhead a couple of days ago, so went to have a look - the Comborciere pylons are up:

Which lift have they recycled?
snow report
@timlongs, it was previously the Portette lift in Val Thorens.
snow conditions
@rob@rar, the bells have arrived!

The Bells of Les Arcs

You can hear them being testing in this short video I took:

http://youtube.com/v/HpJK4Qg7vXU
latest report
@Alastair, excellent, wonder if they do requests? How loud? Wonder if I could hear that from my place?
ski holidays
@rob@rar, I certainly heard them from mine and very nice they sound. They're not that loud, so I don't know whether you will hear them.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy