Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Northern Powder House 2018/19. Yad Moss, Raise, Weardale and Allenheads

Poster: A snowHead
These are the lift served real ski areas in the North Pennines and Lake District;

Raise, Helvellyn Massif, Lake District
http://www.ldscsnowski.co.uk/

Yad Moss, Alston Moor, North Pennines
http://www.yadmoss.co.uk/

Weardale, North Pennines
http://www.skiweardale.com/

Allenheads, North Pennines
http://ski-allenheads.co.uk/

Season tickets are now on sale at Yad Moss. £55 for adults (£40 if you bought one last year) £10 for a junior Cool Full details here. http://web108.extendcp.co.uk/yadmoss.co.uk/join-us/
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I got my renewal email from LDSC yesterday. £50 (£10 off) membership if you buy before October 1st. And you'll get your all-important car park sticker posted to you.

https://www.ldscsnowski.co.uk/join-the-club.html
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just bought my Yad season pass......let's hope for some good snow this season Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Renewing for Weardale before 1 Oct discount deadline.

Here's to some November turns... wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@kitenski, +1 snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just bought my first ever Season ticket for Yad Moss, never skied there (or anywhere lift served in England for that matter). Hoping for some 2018 turns! plenty of time to get my head around the piste map Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@mancski, When the snow's good at Yad it's really good! I've had some very good days there. There's a great club atmosphere too not to mention you get discounts at the other clubs such as Weardale, Allenheads and Lake District. Although I suppose you already know this as you've bought your pass.
I can vouch for Allenheads too. It's only small, with a couple of rope tows but it's got such a friendly club/diy vibe.
Welcome to Snowheads by the way! snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@HotDogger, Thanks! yeah keen to try Weardale especially but thought the Yad pass would be better for access in a Fiesta on low profile tyres. Watched just about every YouTube video for both and I'll look into Allenheads!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
^^^Correct re the road access:
- Yad is right next to a main A-road, albeit a remote one over the top of the Pennines. It gets ploughed and we've never needed chains from the County Durham side - though have driven it when snow covered.
- The last two miles to Weardale are on a hilly single-track road - steep in parts and most often needing good snow tyres (and chains fairly frequently).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hoping to do Weardale at some point, is it common/acceptable to hitch a lift up the access road from those who can drive? Bit of a long walk with skis on your back.

Looking like the potential for snow by next weekend too!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
Hoping to do Weardale at some point, is it common/acceptable to hitch a lift up the access road from those who can drive? Bit of a long walk with skis on your back
There's a layby at the bottom of the steep road where people fit snow chains. We're a friendly/helpful bunch - you would definitely get a lift up from there. Mrs MA and I did a couple of times before we bought chains and we've since given people lifts.

One thing to note though - Weardale is generally members only on weekends.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
Looking like the potential for snow by next weekend too!
Yep - snow from Friday according to Snow-Forecast.com! Touring kit is on standby even as I type - October Pennines turns would be "unbelievable Jeff!!"Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ohh I thought it was members only plus £10/£15 if you have a season ticket for one of the other Pennine clubs? Lifted this from Yad Moss site, is this no longer in force?

"FREE EXTRA – People producing a Yad Moss paper Season Ticket can also ski at Weardale Ski Club and Allendale Ski Club for £10/day even if a ‘members only’ policy is in force – juniors pay £5 per day. We also have a similar arrangement with the Lake District Ski Club, for just £10 on weekdays, £15 at weekends, but you must park at the bottom of the hill in Glenridding as parking up at the Youth Hostel is restricted to LDSC season ticket holders only. See links below for important information about these clubs – especially about access and parking."

thanks for the advice on both. Itching to get out now.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Allendale is, um, 'bijou': but definitely also can be great fun and a very nice atmosphere. Brilliant for kids and beginners. You can certainly go there all days, even if declared members only, if you're a Yad member.
The Weardale car approach is definitely challenging. I've never braved it when there's been any snow on the road, and even with mild slush it was interesting on full winter tyres. Not huge amount of parking room either. Must get up there more this coming year if I can.
Yad is the best access and parking for sure. Just be nice to the poma wink
Here's to the start of a good season snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
After watching my father make a mess of the summit tow at Nevis a couple seasons ago, I am always extremely careful Laughing
snow report
..... He is getting on a bit to be fair
snow conditions
Sorry mancski - my oversight! I had overlooked your Yad membership. Sorry!

As I understand it, you can indeed flash your membership card & ski at Weardale on a weekend.

Will look forward to seeing you there. Smile
latest report
Realistically how many weekends is it possible to ski in these areas? Would love to support uk snow sports and obviously get as much skiing in as possible! Is it advisable to get a secondary set of skis for doemeatic use? Presumably the nature of the runs means there could well be plenty of “natural challenges” I.e rocks a hoy?!
snow report
@MountainIdiot, not many rocks at Yad, I believe they've cleared them over the years. I just take my usual skis.
latest report
The clue is in the name:Yad ‘Moss’ Laughing
http://yadmoss.co.uk/
snow report
mancski wrote:
After watching my father make a mess of the summit tow at Nevis a couple seasons ago, I am always extremely careful Laughing

I think it's fair to say that whilst releasing the tow pole carefully at the end of the run is always important, clinging on to the Yad Moss one at the start is far more amusing (not to say painful for some of us) - especially for some of the boarders. There's some vids from last year on their Facebook page I recall.
snow conditions
@MountainIdiot I used my normal skis at Yad last year without damage - except for a nasty base scrape put on when leaving and going over the gritted track by the hut/loos and then trying to ski out on the topmost walk-in path where exposed, the only bits to watch.
It's rough moorland, variety of grasses & reeds/clumps, mosses, little boggy streams etc - very few rocks as compared to Scottish skiing. Again, pictures on their FB page.

Allenheads is a farmer's grassy field and a moveable rope tow or 2 - and that says it all. Lovely short walk-in, tho' Very Happy

As for number of days - I think each website will say something about this. It's not always weekends - depends on staffing available and snow and wind conditions - although they try to open then because of numbers I presume. Other than that, it's UK and English skiing, depends utterly on the weather, week on week, month and year.
All the English 'resorts' have websites and Facebook pages so you can look back over the last few seasons no doubt.
ski holidays
@Grizzler, thanks, I'll have a trawl back through the various twitters/facebooks and see roughly how much they had in the last year or two, since its within a couple of hours drive and will most likely be a laugh, i'll probably end up giving it a spin, weather permitting!
snow report
@Grizzler, aye yes I'm hoping my 18 stone frame will cope well with the yad tow.

It's now reached that irritating point in the autumn where the transient snows are forecast but are unlikely to translate to anything skiable. Yet despite the same excitement, year on year the skis are out and ready. Here's to some autumn turns!
snow conditions
Quote:
Realistically how many weekends is it possible to ski in these areas?
Someone like PeterS will no doubt be along to give you some figures - but in the last 10 years ago I'd say that (working full time and skiing only on weekends) Mrs MA and I would get anything between three and ten lift-served days at Weardale and Yad Moss. This can be as early as November and as late as April. It's amazing how many times we can be away skiing abroad and miss out on skiing at Weardale and Yad Moss!

As has been alluded to, the grassy slopes mean that it doesn't need much snow to get things running - we have skied everything from 'marginal' (ie 2cm) to 'epic' (snow fences buried and ski anywhere across the face of the hill) and lots in between. As long as you travel with an open mind and accept that snow conditions may not be perfect, you're likely to enjoy the North Pennines experience. And as for the times when conditions ARE epic....wow!

We have ski touring kit so also go up there when the webcams show white hills (ie a centimeter or more of snow Laughing) but the lifts are off. Our best season was 19 days of lifts/touring in the Pennines.

Then there's Raise, in the Lake District, which boasts of 30 or 40 (or more?) ski days a year. It's an amazing experience to ski at the Lakes - but a bit of a slog to hike up to the tow...
ski holidays
Allenheads tows went up today! There were a good number of people there; around twenty though we were outnumbered by sheep.
There's a brand new rope on "B" tow which should give a lot more traction.
A webcam's been installed too which takes the guess work out for people like me travelling a fair way.
Hoping to get to Yad this season too. Not been for a couple of years now.
Anyhoo....
Winter IS coming! snowHead
snow conditions
Any news on when the Yad Moss webcams will be back up and running?
snow report
we Think the router has packed in. I think a new one will go in soon. If it’s not the router then.......... Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
Any news on when the Yad Moss webcams will be back up and running?
Never mind that, given the unseasonably tropical temperatures rolling eyes, any news on when the Yad Moss snow cannons will be up and running? wink
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, give it a short while, there'll be some going spare from a certain Scottish resort, I reckon.
ski holidays
...snow showers from Tuesday onward... seems crazy given i'm walking round Manchester in a t-shirt!
latest report
Quote:
mountainaddict, give it a short while, there'll be some going spare from a certain Scottish resort, I reckon
Hmmmm....what a sad state of affairs that is. Shocking for the local community... rolling eyes
latest report
Weardale webcams showing a light covering of snow this morning Very Happy
snow report
Carneddau, Snowdonia too Smile

https://ovmro.uk/webcam/d-link/ygarn_camera.jpg
snow conditions
more than a light covering seems to be visible on screenshot of Yad Moss summit cam.. not enough for skiing according to Facebook. Are we far off?
latest report
Wow mancski - that would have been enough for a bit of a ski tour and a few turns Very Happy!! Not updated today - but looks as though temperatures will have risen since then... Confused
snow report
Piccy on Yad's FB page of a boarder who went up yesterday. Grass poking through but looks like some useable and deep bits - seemingly better than the webcam and YM FB reports made out.
ski holidays
Quote:

Piccy on Yad's FB page of a boarder who went up yesterday. Grass poking through but looks like some useable and deep bits - seemingly better than the webcam and YM FB reports made out.

There's been skiing on a lot less over the years. Late nineties and noughties that would have been jumped all over. It's hard to believe we've now had ten years since the return of winters to the Pennines. With climate change we're still on the edge of uncool but so long as it snows we're going to be out there.
latest report
all academic, looks like we're entering a prolonged mild and damp period, lovely Crying or Very sad
latest report
Early days and still much uncertainty, but signs that there could be a temporary but significant spell of snow next week (Tuesday into Wednesday) for hills and mountains of north Wales, northern England and southern Scotland, maybe N. Ireland. Stay tuned for updates! #uksnow https://t.co/f4gsI8D7br
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy