Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to do a season: Kitzbuhel, Saalbach, Kaprun?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
From the beginning of February up until the end of May 2019, I will be working as a teaching assistant in both Saalfelden and Zell am Zee. I will be working around 13 hours in total so I'll have plenty of time to go skiing.

I was wondering out of all these resorts which one would be the best to live in and do a ski season. I know Kitzbuhel is quite far, however, I wouldn't mind taking the train for 35minutes if that happens to be better for ski bums. If there are other resorts relatively close to Saalfelden and Zell am zee, I wouldn't mind hearing any suggestions.

Also, I would have to find accommodation at one of these resorts, how easy would that be and where could I look? Just drop me a message if your looking for a roommate at either of these locations Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd go for Kitz, its a proper town and a great ski area.

Its a bit of a "Peter Pan" place ..... I've seen people there that never been home since they went there on a gap year ...

Grandparents now. rolling eyes
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You'll need to get a Salzburg super ski card, cheapest bought before 6th of December.
Loads of great resorts in area, Maria alm is close to saalfelden, as is leogang which links into Saalbach. Kaprun could be a good place to stay, perhaps more cosy than Zell am See.a guess worth looking to see where some of the ski companies go. Also whether you want to be with loads of Brits or Dutch.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@lilnads97, Unsurprisingly I would say Saalbach - or Leogang, which benefits by being on the train line (but is a bit of a sleepy hollow).

People who do seasons in Saalbach - and we've known a fair few - seem to develop a real affection for the village. It's a friendly, compact place, with plenty going on, and it's easy to get to know people and develop a social circle. Also friends and guests of ours, who have returned a few times to Saalbach, have decided to give Kitzbuehel a whirl, and they have generally been disappointed. They found the ski area inferior, and the village (or rather, town) much more strung out - less of a "villagey" feel. They missed the compactness of Saalbach.

Also Saalbach is well-positioned, in that Saalfelden and Zell am See are more or less equidistant - drive down the Glemm valley for 10 minutes, and turn left to Saalfelden or right to Zell. A total of 20 minutes drive gets you to either. (You could also consider basing yourself in Viehhofen or Maishofen, which are even closer to both of your places of work. Viehhofen is connected to the Saalbach ski area by free ski bus, and incidentally from the 2019/20 season will also seemingly be linked to the Zell am See ski area by a new gondola).

In terms of the ski area, Saalbach is a lot more extensive, more efficiently linked, and higher - except for the Kitzsteinhorn glacier obviously, but you probably won't want to be skiing the glacier until you get into late season (April/May) - and then it's an easy 25 minute drive from Saalbach.

Let me know if you want me to put the word around for accommodation.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rauris, tiny but beautifully formed. Dienten, middle of the Hoch Konig expanse. Options are endless.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The Salzburger Super Ski Card is certainly a good option!
But... will you have a car with you? If not, then the more regional passes may be better value, but I'm not expert on them!
Based in Saafelden or Zell you will have so, so many areas on offer within an hours drive, you could probably ski somewhere different every day!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@tatmantours
I most likely wont bring my car up with me, so would you recommend living within Saalbach? Also in terms of going out and apres is that all in Saalbach village and does it have an apres/nights out scene?

That would be great if you could put the word out that I'm looking for accommodation!

tatmanstours wrote:
@lilnads97, Unsurprisingly I would say Saalbach - or Leogang, which benefits by being on the train line (but is a bit of a sleepy hollow).

People who do seasons in Saalbach - and we've known a fair few - seem to develop a real affection for the village. It's a friendly, compact place, with plenty going on, and it's easy to get to know people and develop a social circle. Also friends and guests of ours, who have returned a few times to Saalbach, have decided to give Kitzbuehel a whirl, and they have generally been disappointed. They found the ski area inferior, and the village (or rather, town) much more strung out - less of a "villagey" feel. They missed the compactness of Saalbach.

Also Saalbach is well-positioned, in that Saalfelden and Zell am See are more or less equidistant - drive down the Glemm valley for 10 minutes, and turn left to Saalfelden or right to Zell. A total of 20 minutes drive gets you to either. (You could also consider basing yourself in Viehhofen or Maishofen, which are even closer to both of your places of work. Viehhofen is connected to the Saalbach ski area by free ski bus, and incidentally from the 2019/20 season will also seemingly be linked to the Zell am See ski area by a new gondola).

In terms of the ski area, Saalbach is a lot more extensive, more efficiently linked, and higher - except for the Kitzsteinhorn glacier obviously, but you probably won't want to be skiing the glacier until you get into late season (April/May) - and then it's an easy 25 minute drive from Saalbach.

Let me know if you want me to put the word around for accommodation.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For off piste, Fieberbrunn.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I most likely wont bring my car up with me, so would you recommend living within Saalbach? Also in terms of going out and apres is that all in Saalbach village and does it have an apres/nights out scene?

@lilnads97, If you won't have a car, that inclines me think that you would be better to locate yourself somewhere more convenient for public transport. There is a post bus from Saalbach but it might be a bit of a fag trying to commute. As previously mentioned, Leogang has a railway station, as does Zell am See and Maishofen. You can research public transport connections on www.oebb.at (click on the English language version).
In answer to your question, Saalbach's apres-ski and later evening entertainment scene is renowned, and I'm sure that you'd enjoy it; however the village is located 8 miles up a side valley from the main valley in which both Zell am See and Saalfelden are located, and there is no train line to Saalbach.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kitzbuehel.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

If you won't have a car, that inclines me think that you would be better to locate yourself somewhere more convenient for public transport. There is a post bus from Saalbach but it might be a bit of a fag trying to commute.

Having said that, I've just had a look at www.oebb.at (scotty) and Saalbach to Zell am See by public bus takes under 30 mins and Saalbach to Saalfelden can be done in less than 40 mins - so perhaps it's not such a fag after all.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Saalbach - better ski area, closer than kitzbuhel.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy