Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss Magic Pass

Poster: A snowHead
I have had a search on here about Magic Pass and found several post indicating people have been using it but couldn’t find one to explain the ins and outs.

Can anybody help me? When does it go on sale? Has anybody got a good link to somewhere listing resorts etc?

I was thinking idly about 2019/2020 season about feasibility of combing purchasing 3 sets of return flights to Geneva under the Flightpass, getting a Magic Pass then finding places to stay for a break at Christmas schools holiday, Feb half term and one at Easter and that cost wise it could end up being less that TO Feb halfterm trip?

Any thoughts? Appreciate people’s experiences.

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
https://www.magicpass.ch/en/

GIYF
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@BobinCH, when I googled it the first only came back with a Telegraph article, and all the rest was about Disneyland obviously didint get the right phrase! Thanks
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ok so reading that the best time to buy one is just before / at the opening of the summer season? As the prices on that link are higher than those I saw quoted on here, so does it get higher or am I looking at people quoting previous season prices and it has gone up?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It gets more expensive as the season gets closer. I think it’s been starting at chf299 for the early birds
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@BobinCH, thanks, that was the other reason for posting to get the intelligence from this wonderful community Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think it started at CHF359 last year then stepped up 20 francs every 3 months until late autumn when it went up significantly. This year it cost more to begin with (CHF399?) because of extra resorts and the newly included summer passes.

You could travel by train from Geneva to at least 5 resorts; Leysin, Les Diablerets, Villars, Gryon and Crans-Montana (Funicular).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Check out Top 4........Gstaad, Adelboden, Jungfrau region and Meiringen. 666km 666swiss francs.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Grimentz/Zinal is also worth a look. Probably only there and Crans big enough for a week. Perhaps also Villars/Diablerets.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@BoardieK, thanks!

@BobinCH, good to know.

@Rogerdodger, will take a look.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
When considering Grimentz don’t forget St Luc/ Chandolin is a post bus away adding another set of lifts , 1200ms plus vertical and one of the best runs in the Alps , The Preile .
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@NickyJ, ....we bought ours a few hours after the offer for this year came up. The Magic Pass is VERY useful. We do DH and climbing in the Summer so we have already used it loads - saving about 600 gbp already. And that’s before the Winter season starts. Last year we used it loads - 2 weeks at Christmas - in five resorts. We have a car when we are in Valais. 1 week at Feb half term - 4 resorts. One long weekend - Crans Montana. And then 2 weeks at Easter - 5 reports with the most amazing being Nax - incredible conditions. Saved around 1000 gbp last season.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@NickyJ, this year the early bird price went on sale on the 21st of March and ended on the 9th of April so you have to be pretty quick although I think that it only increased in price a bit after that. Early bird price was 399CHF this year.

I can't tell from your plans if you will have a car with you or not. I spent three weeks visiting the Valais Magic Pass resorts this winter and loved it but they are all quite small compared to the big French areas and I wouldn't want to spend a full week at any single one of them (Grimentz and Zinal in good conditions would be good for off piste for a whole week but as you're going in school holidays I'm guessing that isn't your main aim). Nax, Les Marecottes and Grimentz and Zinal were my personal favourites, Crans gets too much sun, although it has some fun and long runs and it is the biggest. Base yourselves somewhere near Sion with a car and you won't get bored
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Magic Pass went up to 499 Swissies from 459 Swissies yesterday. The next price hike is 10th October. It is still excellent value if you plan to roam around The Southern Swiss Alps, or take in several weeks/weekends.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@rambotion, getting a car is optional, we could hire at Geneva. Though what first started me thinking was looking at places easily accessible via train which gave me Villars when I started looking to see what that ski area was like as I hadn’t heard of it before I then stumbled across the magic pass.

At this point I am looking at feasibility and total cost of this.

Some of the comments are making me think it may not be quite suitable but some pointers to research further.

Any recommendations on places to look at for accommodation- my initial thoughts being 2bed apartments self catered, but if anybody knows any good value hotels / catered places also interested.
ski holidays
The train from GVA airport to Sion and Sierre runs frequently and within two hours of landing you can be in The Rhone Valley with ski areas either side. Anzerre, Crans Montana on one side, Vercorin and Val 'Anniviers on the other. Personally, I prefer Val d'Anniviers as there is sunny side skiing in St Luc/Chandolin as well as more extensive on and off piste in more snow sure Grimentz/Zinal. The post bus links the two areas and it is much cheaper than say Zermatt or Verbier, less crowds and beautiful, traditional Swiss Alpine villages. It is a real 'find' of an area...some people say the big tour operators don't use it as the road up is quite scary, but it isn't really...the busses are up and down the valley all day! There are a number of local, small tour agents based all around that area who look after apartments/chalets, typically Brits who live there, easily found on the Google.

Does anybody know if there will be flights from UK directly to Sion this season?
snow conditions
Has anyone used the discounted ski service offer that you get with the Magic Pass? We bought ours back in March so we are eligible, I was wondering exactly what service you have to pay for and whether it is worth it.
snow report
@Goliard, Have you managed to find what areas are accessible by train?
I am looking to spend the month of March in the 'Magic Pass' areas a few days in each. and would really like to avoid having a car.
snow conditions
The trains in the Rhône valley are easy and accessible. Buses will take you up to the resorts. I would base myself a week at a time in an area and explore. Val d’Anniviers, for example, is fairly easy to get around by bus, so would probably make sense to be up in one of the mountain resorts rather than down in the Rhône valley.
snow conditions
The trains in the Rhône valley are easy and accessible. Buses will take you up to the resorts. I would base myself a week at a time in an area and explore. Val d’Anniviers, for example, is fairly easy to get around by bus, so would probably make sense to be up in one of the mountain resorts rather than down in the Rhône valley.
ski holidays
@Goliard, Thank you so much.

I got a large map of the area and will start planing next week. Will make sure I upload a copy for some addition scrutiny Shocked
snow report
Resurrecting an old topic... how much is the Swiss Magic Pass (at the earliest booking rate) these days?
snow report
currently it's a mystery - 899 chf if you buy it now …. but a window will be announced soon … we have them and use them all year (5-6 trips to CH)
snow report
denfinella wrote:
Resurrecting an old topic... how much is the Swiss Magic Pass (at the earliest booking rate) these days?

Believe cheapest is 399chf with some optional extras
snow report
Shhhhhh!
Don’t broadcast it..

Clears throat…AHEM!!!

It will be VERY VERY expensive…oh yes.
Definitely.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy