Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

All Mountain Advice

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Looking for a bit of advice.

I'm looking to buy some all-mountain skis, currently ride Faction CT3.0s and 4.0s as I'm 30/70 piste/off-piste. I used to use K2 112 Shreditors and got on quite well with them so looking for a similar ride on groomers. Ideally I need something lightweight due to a knee injury and age now, so looking to spend more time on piste but still have something with good performance in the trees and powder. I'm reading lots of good stuff about the Head Kore (93/99/105) range but I'm not getting a feel for how each perform just on piste. Will prob go down the route of Griffon or Pivot bindings.

Any ideas experience greatly appreciated!

M
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Blizzard Rustler 10 is probably worth a look
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@camps, just got on a pair of bent chetler 100's , they are light and very playful , made for soft snow but work really well on piste and firmer snow , ive got them mounted with the shift so they make for a light weight set up that will also work for lift served tours
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks all, will take a look
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

just got on a pair of bent chetler 100's , they are light and very playful , made for soft snow but work really well on piste and firmer snow , ive got them mounted with the shift so they make for a light weight set up that will also work for lift served tours

one of the best AM "set ups" in history me thinks.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
clarky999 wrote:

How do they carve?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
camps wrote:

I'm reading lots of good stuff about the Head Kore (93/99/105) range but I'm not getting a feel for how each perform just on piste.

I've skied the 93, 99, and 117 kores, and bought a pair of the 99s which I'm going to fit with Salomon shift bindings as my off piste / light touring ski.

For me, piste performance is really important even in a primarily off piste ski, and I really liked the kores for that reason. I actually didn't like the 93 much - just a bit weedy for my taste; the 99 feels substantially stiffer, and is a fairly stiff ski for a ski with no metal.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 19-11-19 10:08; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
camps wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

How do they carve?

Been a while, but well from memory. Bonafide carves great, and the Rustlers can be though of as a more playful version (though the 9 is probably the direct equivalent).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@camps, have you considered Faction Dictator range? The 2.0 at 96mm could be a good shout for you. I have skied the 1.0 86mm extensively 70/30 piste/off piste and they’ve been a lot of fun. They’ve been brilliant in spring conditions - frozen mornings, slush afternoons. Stiff but at the same time nimble with good edge hold. They also make the Chapter series which is essentially the same ski but less stiff.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If money isn’t a big factor then have a look at the DPS ALCHEMIST WAILER A100mm RP SKI I upgraded from my shreditors to these and great for carving and offpiste. Plenty of reviews online but cost a lot
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
turbosmurf wrote:
camps wrote:

I'm reading lots of good stuff about the Head Kore (93/99/105) range but I'm not getting a feel for how each perform just on piste.

I've skied the 93, 99, and 117 kores, and bought a pair of the 99s which I'm going to fit with Salomon shift bindings as my off piste / light touring ski.

For me, piste performance is really important even in a primarily off piste ski, and I really liked the kores for that reason. I actually didn't like the 93 much - just a bit weedy for my taste; the 99 feels substantially stiffer, and is a fairly stiff ski for a ski with no metal.

I confirm that the 99 is significantly stiffer than the 93. Personally, I prefer the latter, although I think that the 99 is a good hard charging ski. I think that Head is the only brand that succeeds in getting such stiffness in a ski without using Titanal plates, with a very nice stiffness/rate ratio. The ideal ski to go along with the Shift... wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm looking for a similar style ski. Has anyone any experience of the Elan Ripstick 96?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Anything over 90 underfoot you have to be a very very good skier to get a proper carve (as opposed to getting on edge to initiate then sliding the remaining 3/4 of the turn). 90 also works perfectly well in anything other than the lightest fluffiest deep powder. Don't believer the hype about wide all mountain skis.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dr John, IMO 90mm is perfectly fine in the lightest fluffiest powder. It's 50cm of wet concrete where wider helps most.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@clarky999, fair point about 90 in fluffy. But if it's wet concrete then I'll give it a miss, I value my knees too much to bother with that rubbish.
latest report
conor90 wrote:
I'm looking for a similar style ski. Has anyone any experience of the Elan Ripstick 96?

The Riptsick 96 is a very nice easy and soft ski, a real marvel on soft snow. In my opinion, it lacks some grip and precision on the hard pack.

It has been reviewed by Proskilab : https://www.proskilab.co.uk/h/men-s-freeride-touring/ski-reviews-2020-elan-ripstick-96/640
snow conditions
proskilab wrote:
I think that Head is the only brand that succeeds in getting such stiffness in a ski without using Titanal plates, with a very nice stiffness/rate ratio. The ideal ski to go along with the Shift... wink

Agree, my thoughts exactly. Very Happy
snow report
I'm scratching my head here .... how did we manage in the old days?
The snow was just as deep then, probably deeper.

I've just been out to the garage to measure my old "Fat Boy" skis ...
Volkl Snow Rangers circa about 1995 "pre parabolics"
They measure just 80mm under foot.

I remember our guide saying to me then .. "Surely you're not going to use them on the piste?"

How times have changed.
ski holidays
DrLawn wrote:
I'm scratching my head here .... how did we manage in the old days?
The snow was just as deep then, probably deeper.

I've just been out to the garage to measure my old "Fat Boy" skis ...
Volkl Snow Rangers circa about 1995 "pre parabolics"
They measure just 80mm under foot.

I remember our guide saying to me then .. "Surely you're not going to use them on the piste?"

How times have changed.

I suppose, in the same way that Skiers "managed" with Leather Boots and Spring Bindings; and people of my age managed Off Piste with Straight Skis and then moved to 70mm Freeride Skis.

If technology moves on, then managing means missing out (and is overrated).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy