Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Switzerland with kids

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My son aged 8 has been spoilt in that all three ski holidays he’s been on so far have been to Canada!
But next year we can’t all manage more than a weeks leave and it seems to far to all go. Hence we are looking at Europe, and quite fancy Zermatt - MrsJ and I went there pre-children!

What’s Switzerland like with kids? Not so much the skiing but the attitude generally to them. Are they welcomed in restaurants and bars or is it all starched table clothes and fine dining? We don’t want to be stuck to McDs all week!
One of the things we liked about Canada was that pre 9 or 10pm kids were welcomed everywhere so we could all go for a meal or a drink. We’re looking at apartments rather than chalets or hotels so will be going out for some meals. Are there family friendly places that aren’t McDs?
Also on the slopes what about lunch? Do any of the huts/restaurant allow kids in or will be stuck to the self service places?

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@TommyJ,
Europe as a whole is excellent with children and Switzerland no different in my experience, though doubtless there are a few very starchy places, can't say I've come across them
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks. I don’t know why but I had an impression that Switzerland would be very formal and stuck up! I thought we might get disapproving stares if we tried to bring an 8yr into a restaurant!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We have been going to Zermatt with three kids since they were babies. We have never not been welcomed with the kids on mountain or in the village. Most restaurants have kids menus or will do anything on the menu half portion (halb portion ) if you prefer. In Zermatt kids nine and under ski free anywhere on the mountain, just take his passport as proof of age when you buy the ski passes.
They also have a scheme under the ‘Wolli’ banner (Wolli is a giant sheep mascot!) with certain shops, events etc offering special deals for families/children. Check out what’s available on the Zermatt.ch website.
If you travel by train in Switzerland and buy your transfer pass in the U.K. before you go under 15’s travel free as well.
I believe other resorts in Switzerland have discounts etc too but I’m just writing about Zermatt as it’s the one I know best.
You certainly won’t have any issues with children being allowed/welcomed pretty much anywhere.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@TommyJ, Chez Vrony, Zum See and Chalet Étoile (Cervinoa side) are 3 of the best mountain restaurants in the Alps and welcome kids. Enjoy!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
T Bar wrote:
@TommyJ,
Europe as a whole is excellent with children and Switzerland no different in my experience, though doubtless there are a few very starchy places, can't say I've come across them

+1, unless of course the kids are little ba$tards with 'modern' parents that just let them run amok!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Even at very expensive 'posh' restaurants overlooking Lake Geneva a fair few years back now, our 3, when they were little were always welcomed and looked after very well. Europe has always had a much more relaxed attitude to children in restaurants than was typical in the UK till fairly recently.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We've been going to Zermatt for 30+ years as a family. All the children in the family (including myself at one point) learn't in Zermatt. Now we have three generations of family skiing each year in the resort. Compared to other resorts is more challenging to learn in, and some of the reds might be classified as blacks in some french resorts but the designated blues and most reds are very accessible. We've never felt unwelcome in restaurants with kids...far from it. As BobinCH mentioned above Vrony, Findlerhof, Zum See etc are all world class and highly child friendly. In the evenings you'll be spoiled for choice in the town. Get booking and enjoy one of the finest resorts in the world.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Its very child friendly (and dog) also the children's menus tend to be smaller versions off the main menu....not filthy chicken nuggets etc!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy