Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to get new boots?

Poster: A snowHead
Struggling to find out where to buy boots, especially when I have a fit issue (narrow heels and lower legs).
Have a pair which, after a bit of home padding up, 2 pairs of socks and some front stiffening inserts work well enough for me at present, if really too big, but soon enough they'll need replacing and I can't get the same make or model again (an old shop brand).
Tried some pairs on in various UK (inc at snowdome) and overseas shops whenever I come across them, but there seems to be a very limited selection (especially in a 23.5!) and they mostly seem way too sloppy/big. So far I only know what doesn't fit and what's not in stock in my size! Also, being a bit picky as I ideally want a reasonably stiff boot (piste riding with stiff Flows and used to ski boots).
Loathe to buy without trying because sizes seem to vary so widely, not just in width fittings but lengths as well.
Any ideas?
Any ideas as to what 2nd-hand ones might be worth a go (and at what sizing)? At least that way they're not going to cost too much if I get them off a certain auction site.
Cheers.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have you actually measured the length of your feet? Salomons run pretty narrow and certain models (Malumutes for sure) have an internal strap that counters heel lift.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not sure where you are in the UK but up here int' north we have a few good fitters,!!
new boots are now supplied with full heat moulding and can be "opened" up in width alone by 5 mm.. the whole boot is heated up and moulds to your foot, then and foot liners and bobs your uncle.... my son has a left 26 and a right 26.5. .. no problem these days ...As now the manufactures of boots are making it so that the liners are taking up the half sizes..so that the boot will actualy fit a 26 and 26.5 meaning that outlets dont have to keep every size of boot..
If you are wearing two pairs of socks then i suggest strongly that you do need proper fitting boots before you have an accident, as with good fitting boots you will find they will also point in the same direction as your skis when turning 😃😃 ...
each boot maker has a different manufacturing last, so head boots can be a wider fit than salomon etc. Etc.
theres a lot of info on here and even the GB ski club boot review pages.
Suggest you ring around fitters and they can order your boot in and fit it for you.. BAC in Halifax do all that from £220 upwards, depending on make of boot. Same for other fitters i reckon
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Feet-wise I'm very sure of my actual length and width (and have been through the boot-fitting and measuring process many, many times for ski boots!)

I have once rented Salomon boots and did find them pretty good, though also got a bad heel blister (but hey they were rentals and not in my bindings).
I do recall however that they come up very odd sizings (can't remember if too small or too big - and also maybe that they've recently changed their sizings just to confuse everyone even more!)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@yorkshirelad, Thanks. I'm North Midlands - know anyone good? Tried Dicks in Shefield and SnR at Chill Factore, both no help.

"opening up" boots isn't the issue - it's closing them down! (hence the 2 socks)

But is there some confusion here? If my boots point in the same direction as my skis then, when on a snowboard, I'm in real trouble from all sorts of viewpoints... NehNeh
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Have a chat with david at BACs in elland, just off M62. .. mine of info. A good boot fitter will be able to do allsorts for all sizes of feet, large calf muscle size is their main problem.. 😀
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@yorkshirelad, will do, thanks. Thin calf and shin is my problem, and no-one can solve that either (bar lots of spoilers & extra padding!).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Did once ski with a guide who had to buy childrens ski boots due to small feet... if your not a hard skier that might be a way to go..
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
yorkshirelad wrote:
Did once ski with a guide who had to buy childrens ski boots due to small feet... if your not a hard skier that might be a way to go..

I do frequently try and get into or use kids' stuff, although often they're just not technical or grizzler-proof enough.
owever, can I jsut reiterate tat this was posted on a snowboarding section, and I am talking about snowboard boots, not ski boots wink - which are a whole other ongoing kettle of woes...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
23.5 - thats a 4.5 in English money right? Understand reluctance to buy before you try - I'm a common size (8UK) and i'm really cautious about buying on spec alone and to find a place which stocks the range of boots you're looking for is hard enough. Female friend has it worse - she's a size 1.5 UK, with big calves and has never found a boot that fits her properly.

Tricky, I assume you're a bloke btw, but boots do exist. A quick rummage over on Absolute Snow shows options available, 8 mens boots between size 4 and 5. Lacing will be key to the fit for you, i'd probably recommend you try to find something which has Zone lacing - so the boot tightens in separate areas, normally across the foot then separately on the cuff, so you can really lock your foot down.

If you've got the cash, I do know that Absolute have a no quibble returns policy, so you could order up a couple of pairs and try at home, and return whatever you don't get on with. I've used them before and found their customer service very good.

As for boot fitters, there are custom liners which will work with snowboard boots, but finding someone to do them is rare. Majority wouldn't go beyond offering a footbed. I'd spoken to Profeet in Fulham about the friend I'd mentioned above and they were really cagey about being able to do much beyond trying to fit a liner into a boot.

Of course hard boot bindings are always an option if you've got skiboots already, some on here swear by them.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I highly recommend Graham at Rivington Alpine, Adlington near Chorley. I don't know if that would be considered as a step too far from the north midlands, but, he's passionate and a real pro, great service with all the kit and caboodle for measure and moulding.

I have 'odd' (dissimilar) lower legs not a problem as I'm out of short pants due to a foot dislocation, one normal and the ex dislocated one 'super hero' proportion by comparison. He was first class and patient and I felt that he wasn't just going to fob me off with any old boot to make me part with my cash in the largest quantity in the shortest amount of time...definitely worth a call
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just to add that my boots were for skiing, I hadn't realised that I had strayed onto 'the dark side' until after posting, so apologies if my Rivington suggestion doesn't bear fruit and Graham only caters for a 'better' class of snowhead (only kidding) Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Steve at The Sick and the wrong in Keswick let me try on loads and loads of snowboard boots. No pressure at all to buy. Also anything technical in Kendal do custom foot beds. Could maybe tie up boots from Keswick and footbeds in Kendal..... sounds like a nice day out in the Lakes?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I wouldn't buy them online since its hard to know if they are really going to fit. The fit is very important at least for me.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@@247snowman, sorry, what and where's that in Keswick? Possibility of that being gettable to. Cheers.
ski holidays
Since you mentioned you have narrow lower legs and ankles even when you do get new boots a good idea might be to swap out the stock liner with Inuition's Luxury Boot Liner. The Luxury Liners are specially made for a narrower fit. Also with the liners being heat moldable they really provide a custom fit. We currently have these liners on sale if you are interested in taking a look at them http://fluidmotionsports.com/collections/piste-liners-clearouts-coming-soon/products/luxury-hv-no-laces.
ski holidays
http://snowboardexperts.co.uk/pages/contact-with-map/
snow report
@Fluid Motion Sports, and you can use those with a snowboard boot?
snow conditions
If you're ever in/near Chamonix, go to Sole Boot Lab. Steve in there (who also posts on here, although I don't remember seeing him recently) will do a proper boot-fit on snowboard boots.

To be honest though, I think you'll struggle to find a nice boot that small. I think Salomon (who would have been my recommendation) start at 25. Your best option would probably be to go with a good Woman's boot (e.g. Salomon Kiana) which might also be slimmer around the heel.

Otherwise, I think Burton do a Youth range which might give you a decent choice in that kind of size.
ski holidays
Thanks all. S&W certainly look like a look next time I'm up that way. Didn't know of them before.
Haven't found/tried youth boots, so an idea if I come across any - but those which I've seen don't seem very technical, nor stiff. Women's boots already also tried, still not very narrow (if anything like ski boots can actually have a wider lower leg), and often not as stiff. But I'll take whatever works (though some of the women's colours are just way too wrong!) Or it's just back to thicker or 2 pairs of socks wink
TBH it's just about finding somewhere with a decent stock of boots of different makes in my size. I can probably get a reasonable fit with a bit of tinkering and fitting, heel hold etc - but I'm just finding it very difficult to find some to try on in the first place, especially as my feet are so relatively small. Decathlon actually do a good boot, and I and Mr G have used them in the past: and for the price found them very good. But they only start at around 25 now, which is already a large fit. Sad
snow report
Size 23.5 is a UK 4.5. At absolute-Snow we have the biggest range of snowboard boots in the UK - in every size. I just checked and right now in the UK 4 to 5 range we have 7 different models of men's boots and a massive 47 different models of women's boots in just this size range. Men can wear women's boots too and they may work well for you if your feet have an uncommon shape. Not all women's boots have girlie colours. We have in store heat moulding and a several ranges of custom insoles. We are in Hemel, 1mile fro. The Snow Centre and M1 jct 8 or M25 jct 20 but if you are unable to pay us a visit, many customers buy several pairs using free delivery the return as many as they want using our subsidised collect plus service.
snow report
@paulmc, Thanks. Might well be in touch in the new year then. Way too far to drive but the returns service sounds very useful.
I do wish that they'd standardise UK (and Eur) sizes, not just snow gear but walking and everyday too! I don't know about a 4.5 though as I had a pair of Burton Emeralds in "UK 4" and they were way too short. Usually a UK 5 (but youth, mens and womens 5s are all different) but also a Eur 38 or 39 - or 40 in Sportivas!()
I only know my absolute measurement from ski boot fitting (but even that varies by at least a cm, fitter to fitter...)
snow conditions
@Grizzler, sorry, hadn't actually realised you're a lady! That does at least give you more choice.

I'd have a look at the high-end Salomon boots. The Moxie, which is their stiffest women's boot, has the internal heel-lock system, same as the men's Malamute. If it's anything like the Malamute, it's verging on too stiff!

Most boots now have mondopoint sizes listed, which should be standard and not subject to UK/Euro conversions.
snow conditions
I ordered about 12 pairs from various online sites (all of which had free delivery and returns) until I found a pair that fitted correctly. You can try them on at your leisure and walk around the house for a while to make sure they fit okay rather than try them on for a couple of minutes in a shop. Bit of inconvenience sending stuff back but ended up with a pair that fit perfectly and substantially cheaper than paying high st prices.
latest report
Any idea of a good bootfitter in Les Menuires or Saint Martin de Belleville area?
ski holidays
There's a snowboard shop somewhere in VT, but never been myself. The guys at Avalon in meribel are very good, well worth a trip over !!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy