Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

NZ - Central South Island 2019

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Had a summer storm - 50cm of snow yesterday. Mt Hutt are having a summer open day next Saturday, so if it doesn't melt, then it could be all on for the first day of sliding for 2019. Along with a few thousand super keen locals Very Happy

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wow. Good going for this time of the year. Hopefully bodes well.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lucky you. I always used to think of February as being the best & most settled of the summer months in NZ. After a season with no snow in Scotland I find myself fondly reminiscing about skiing in NZ last July/August.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We have snow up high at least once every month of the year - just good that it has happened when they will have the lifts spinning for a fundraiser.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mt Hutt opens next week (7th). A week out there was no snow up there, but a big storm this weekend looks set to drop around a metre of snow, with another potentially bigger one coming through in 4 days time, which should set things up nicely for opening day.

Looking like the majority of snow will miss areas further south in this storm. It’s a classic east coast setup with a low parked just off in the pacific sucking cold air from Antarctica and throwing se winds into the coastal mountains.

Getting excited. Will be heading up to Hutt for opening day. The other ski areas will open over the next month. Already looking set up for a decent season.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I had to have a look at that on the charts....with the winds moving in the opposite direction to what we're used to in the northern hemisphere. Clockwise around the low, nice to see the pics. Snow therapy is good for our first blast of 28c in Europe this weekend.

gfsau-12-6
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ensembles for Christchurch, looks like 5-7th June good for snow to 1000-1200m, then warmer, but quite a wide spread of options

graphe12-1000-172-633-43-5333-Christchurch
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Got up to Mt Hutt yesterday for opening day. It was the first full opening on the South Island this season. A couple of other areas got their learner slopes going last week. Conditions were pretty good for early season after the storm last weekend. Not epic, but a decent base forming. Cold winds were polishing a few of the more exposed areas. All (3 Very Happy ) lifts were running. Everything else will start to open between now and the beginning of July, conditions permitting.

Not much snow in the forecast for the next week, and definitely more is needed. Maybe something on the way the following week, but things don't usually start cranking up until July.

Daughters newest board. Apparently not very quick, but I still couldn't keep up with her

snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Conditions look pretty good in places, for time of year.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A couple from today. T-Shirt weather once the sun got over the ridge.

Snow was "forgiving" Very Happy

Views over the Pacific Ocean

Southern Alps

snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
After a bit of a slow June and July, August has been pretty good with regular top ups. Been travelling around lately, so thought I would post a few pics of some of my local spots from the last couple of weeks

Mt Hutt

Roundhill

A cool little spot near Lake Tekapo, which is a round hill. Has a couple of T Bars going up it, and lots of mellow cruisey groomers. But it also has the biggest lift accessed vertical of anywhere in NZ - a brutal 1400m long rope tow. These things were invented by skiers to torture snowboarders. It involves wearing a climbing harness with a nutcracker attached, which goes over the rope and then drags you at high speed into wedding tackle shredding pulleys at regular intervals. Great spot, despite the potential to be castrated.

This is the face accessed by the rope tow

Ohau - my favourite spot in NZ. In the middle of nowhere, seriously underrated, and on a powder day I reckon it's the best spot on the South Island. No crowds, great terrain, fresh lines all day, and really chilled out. It's the real deal kiwi ski field, not like all the commercial stuff in Queenstown and Wanaka

The facilities are fairly low key Very Happy

Access road is a bit of a goat track

Car park view

Lots of good lines with a short hike

ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cool photos.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A quick video from Wednesday - kids pulled the pow day clause for a day off school. Was worth it

http://youtube.com/v/ACm-Gs-ivwA
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy