Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler hotels

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all Whistler experts, has anyone stayed at the Crystal lodge, and if so what’s the verdict?. Or any other recommendations, perhaps the Westin resort and spa or the Hilton. All look like they have a good location but struggling to decide. Any recommendations welcome,
Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Crystal's fine, good breakfast in the cafe down there, good location.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@philwig, thank you
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Crystal isn't as swanky as the Westin, Fairmont etc but is fine, well located, great bar/ lounge for apres.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Adara is great. Top spot too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have stayed at Westin and Crystal Lodge, but not recently. Westin is very convenient but not, IMHO, worth the $$$.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all, appreciate the feedback
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pan Pacific Village Centre for huge comfortable suites. Great complementary breakfast. Used to do free happy hour drinks too but not sure that's still going.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+1 ^^^
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Sundial has a good location.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Depends what you are wanting. Crystal is a handy spot.
Recommend a suite so that you get a Kitchen and can do breakfasts. We tend to go out every night but you could cook then if you wanted.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Many thanks for all the recommendations. Booked the Crystal, seemed to tick most boxes in terms of location to the village and gondolas, and also whilst not the cheapest certainly not the most expensive!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Anyone stayed in the Delta suites? Booked for early March OH + 2 kids 13 & 9
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ClanChief wrote:

Stay there every year and booked this year for early march. Handy spot, 10min walk to the lifts with loads of restaurants nearer than the lifts. Supermarket 5 mins away and you get a full kitchen in the one bed suite. If you book a 2 bed suite you get an additional lock off bedroom with bathroom, connected by your own hall way. Used to do that when we took the kids. Now one of them works there.
What do you want to know?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We're staying there too end of Feb to early march. We were recommended this over the cascade lodge and seems on a par with the crystal lodge. Can't wait!
ski holidays
@summerseat, have stayed at the crystal and as the saying goes location location location.. there are hotels closer to the lifts but 100mt walk is nothing and you are right in the middle of the high street... enjoy the resort great at night and when it snows.. well 43cmovernight was fun Very Happy ski room is right next to the hotel doors and a nice young lad takes them off you and has them ready for you next morning
also stayed at the summit which is far end of the village but still had a great time
latest report
@MogulMonkey, just what I wanted to hear! sounds perfect, thanks for the info, really looking forward to the trip. We are spending some time at vancouver island pre-ski, hopefully see some migrating whales if all goes to plan
snow conditions
@jake43 Excellent - thanks for the info, I'm sure we will have a couple of questions nearer the time (if you don't mind?). A quick question, is there ski lockers at the lifts? Thanks again.
snow conditions
Jake43 wrote:
ClanChief wrote:

Stay there every year and booked this year for early march. Handy spot, 10min walk to the lifts with loads of restaurants nearer than the lifts. Supermarket 5 mins away and you get a full kitchen in the one bed suite. If you book a 2 bed suite you get an additional lock off bedroom with bathroom, connected by your own hall way. Used to do that when we took the kids. Now one of them works there.
Excellent - thanks for the info, I'm sure we will have a couple of questions nearer the time (if you don't mind?). A quick question, is there ski lockers at the lifts? Thanks again.
ski holidays
ClanChief wrote:
Jake43 wrote:
ClanChief wrote:

Excellent - thanks for the info, I'm sure we will have a couple of questions nearer the time (if you don't mind?). A quick question, is there ski lockers at the lifts? Thanks again.

Yes there are at the Carleton Lodge 20yrds from the lift.
We can't be bothered to travel with skis and like the ability to change them for conditions, so just hire - the other benefit here is that they store the skis for you too. We use Summit and find they have been brilliant over the years and are the same 20yrs to the lifts (I can carry them that far !) Just carry your boots up change and leave shoes in the racks grab skis and you are in the queue.
You do always need something with plenty of width under foot, as you can get a load of snow each day and are often skiing in deep snow.
Also don't be like a lemming and just queue for the Gondolas, check out Fitzsimmons covered lift, as few people use that.
When booking skiing you can also get a lot of skiing in on the last day too. If you are on Air Canada they won't pick you up until about 2pm if on BA it is even later.
Are the kids going in to ski school, as it is brilliant. Have fun.
snow report
summerseat wrote:
@MogulMonkey, just what I wanted to hear! sounds perfect, thanks for the info, really looking forward to the trip. We are spending some time at vancouver island pre-ski, hopefully see some migrating whales if all goes to plan

Just the pain hanging round at flipping Heathrow waiting for connection up to Leeds ! It is a huge shame that AirTransat only fly Manchester - Vancouver in the summer. Grrr
snow conditions
Jake43 wrote:
ClanChief wrote:
Jake43 wrote:
ClanChief wrote:

Yes there are at the Carleton Lodge 20yrds from the lift.
We can't be bothered to travel with skis and like the ability to change them for conditions, so just hire - the other benefit here is that they store the skis for you too. We use Summit and find they have been brilliant over the years and are the same 20yrs to the lifts (I can carry them that far !) Just carry your boots up change and leave shoes in the racks grab skis and you are in the queue.
You do always need something with plenty of width under foot, as you can get a load of snow each day and are often skiing in deep snow.
Also don't be like a lemming and just queue for the Gondolas, check out Fitzsimmons covered lift, as few people use that.
When booking skiing you can also get a lot of skiing in on the last day too. If you are on Air Canada they won't pick you up until about 2pm if on BA it is even later.
Are the kids going in to ski school, as it is brilliant. Have fun.
Brilliant - thank you. We are with Air Canada, however flying BA from Glasgow first and were thinking about taking our own skis (we found it a bit cheaper doing this at Banff last year), but will take your advice and look at the hire option. Once again thanks for the very useful advice - I will certainly check out Fitzsimmons Very Happy
snow conditions
@ClanChief, check out Spirit Bear for ski rental. We used them last year and they were great - in-room fitting to save the morning hire shop scrum and reassuringly low prices. Only possible drawback is their partner shop is in the upper village, which may be inconvenient for returns or if you want to swap out skis due to weather changes.
snow report
Quote:

Only possible drawback is their partner shop is in the upper village, which may be inconvenient for returns or if you want to swap out skis due to weather changes.

Handy if you're skiing on Blackcomb, though.
snow conditions
@ClanChief - If you decide to take your own skis then Air Canada normally provide free ski carriage and if your BA flight from Glasgow is on the same ticket then they give you free ski carriage as well. I've had to argue this a few times but it does show on the BA website that where the flight is on one ticket then the baggage rules of the most significant carrier (ie who's taking you further) apply:

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/baggage-essentials/checked-baggage-allowances

The only problem seems to be none of the BA or Air Canada staff are aware of the rules, but if you point them to this part of the website you will get your free ski carriage.

Enjoy Whistler - its superb!
ski holidays
@skisaint,

Quote:

if your BA flight from Glasgow is on the same ticket

This is the key point. In the past this has been almost impossible to do, since AC are part of the Star Alliance and BA are not. Thus getting everything on the same ticket wasn't possible. I used to be able to fly from Leeds/Bradford via Heathrow, using British Midland and AC, and because they were both Star Alliance members, I got free ski carriage the whole way. Then when BM stopped flying to LHR from LBA, the only other option was BA for the first leg, and they charged me for ski carriage at the LBA check-in desk. (And I couldn't check my luggage right through to Vancouver from LBA either, I had to collect it from the LHR Terminal 1 baggage drop (this was before T5 opened) and lug it across to (I think) T4 and re-check it for the AC flight. Really irritating, especially since on the return there was no problem in checking my bags right through from YVR to LBA, nor any additional charge).
snow report
@Acacia, We have flights LBA to Vancouver BA & Air Canada on a single ticket and no bag carrying needed. Done this or Manchester for the last 10 years with no issues.

However, we don't take skis, so don't know what happens there.

Air Transit is the real answer if booking your self - 20kg FREE sports bag. They fly Manchester to Vancouver but only direct in the summer which is sad but changing in Toronto is not a huge pain, no worse than Heathrow. I hate getting to 20miles away then we circle for best part on an hour. Useless place. The do Gatwick-Vancouver all year direct. Just a pain that the package people insist on using LHR.

Another irritating thing with BA flights is you still have to transfer as local is done to T5 and then out to Canada from T3 all on BA

Good old ZOOM airlines flew Manchester to Glasgow then on to Vancouver without us getting off. Unfortunately they went bust.
ski holidays
skisaint wrote:
@ClanChief - If you decide to take your own skis then Air Canada normally provide free ski carriage and if your BA flight from Glasgow is on the same ticket then they give you free ski carriage as well. I've had to argue this a few times but it does show on the BA website that where the flight is on one ticket then the baggage rules of the most significant carrier (ie who's taking you further) apply:

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/baggage-essentials/checked-baggage-allowances

The only problem seems to be none of the BA or Air Canada staff are aware of the rules, but if you point them to this part of the website you will get your free ski carriage.

Enjoy Whistler - its superb!
Fantastic thanks, you have it in one! No-one from either the TA or BA could give me a definitive answer, all they said was keep an eye open for changes in policy. But thank you. Can't wait, and the snarlers are looking forward to it too - especially the dog sledging. To add, yes we are on the one ticket. Thanks guy's Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am going to put my head in the firing line..... I like BA!

Check in at aberdeen, drop off my ski bag with clothes (part of my allowance) and pick up at Vancouver with a few hours to stretch my legs in heathrow. heathrow is as good as any other london airport even with a terminal change ...... If i want a extra 23kg suitcase then its £60 each way, i can also max out my pull along and small bag if I need. I remember ski rent was more expensive than europe but excellent selection and very easy to change through holiday but the fat skis go quick when fresh snow is in the forecast...

You will enjoy the crystal hotel cracking location, according to google maps the door beside the ski valet is 220m to the lifts, its just long enough to stretch the legs but not to long. We hadn't a suite but a standard room that also had cooking facilities but to be honest there is so much good options and for breakfast there is a superb bakery (hot buns bakery)directly across and around the corner from the steps of the ski valet.

I am heading out for the opening in november for 2 weeks but booked whistler inn and village suite as crystal was fully booked. I think/hope its similar class of hotel. There are nicer hotels in whistler such as four seaosns, fairmont etc but for a skiing hotel these are over kill for me.

Be aware the ski pass's are very expensive don't rule out a epic season pass, we break even at 12 days and i am hoping to head out again later on season if not i will use it europe (but lot of small print in europe).
snow conditions
@Jake43,

As you may guess, my experience with the BA/AC ticketing was some time ago. I'm glad to hear that it isn't a problem any more.

The T5/T3 thing is comparatively recent. I can remember that we used to be able to catch a later flight from LBA to LHR, because both flights operated from T5, making the connection much easier than it is now.

The only time that I tried to book a flight on ZOOM was the year they went bust. I think that's when we started using BA, come to think of it.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy