Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter tyres and changing

Poster: A snowHead
@rjs, +1 - there’s plenty information in the manual for my Octavia estate.
snow conditions     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try checking then tyre presssure plaque normally under the fuel flap or inside the door as they normally list a bunch of different tyre dimentions available for the various models.
ski holidays     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks again all, I really appreciate all the considered advice and guidance. The wheels are from a family member so no cost to me and easy enough to try! They are 94V.

I will check the handbook again but really found it quite unhelpful!
snow report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Does this tell me what I need to know?:

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/skoda/octavia/2014/
snow conditions     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Link shows all you'd need to know as far as I can see.

Which engine size is your vehicle?

And you needed a best available inventory of the proposed wheel's specifications to assess.

You can measure the bore, pcd of the other wheels with a mm ruler or builder's tape measure.

ET should be written somewhere on the wheel centre close to the bolts. If they've a cap on them, it's usually under there.
ski holidays     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Page23,

Yes, but knowing what car the wheels come from will also give you information so you can compare and see if the bolt pattern and rims are compatible.
latest report     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looking at that link for details, it's certainly covered in the size those alternative wheels are to be used on your car as all the options, with few exceptions, list both sizes as approved.

94V won't give you a problem either as they'll carry more load than your vehicle is rated to. This is a common load spec that is easily supplied as an alternative as it's std range on VW Touran which has to use it because of 7 seat fitment.

If the other figures check out it should be ok.
snow report     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So mine is a Skoda Octavia 2.0 diesel 2014. I think the winter wheels had been used on a VW Golf GTI - I think it was a 2015 model.
snow conditions     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mine are going on the car on Friday, as we need to get a new set of non-winter ones. Doesn't make sense to do it now then have to change over in a few weeks.
latest report     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I can't see a listing for the 2015 GTI on that site

2014 model matches your spec

2016 model has the PCD changed by reduction on 12 mm so they won't fit.

You need to find out the above or try them as that seems to be the final check.
ski holidays     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
They were used on a 2007 Golf GTI
snow report     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ski3 wrote:
Looking at that link for details, it's certainly covered in the size those alternative wheels are to be used on your car as all the options, with few exceptions, list both sizes as approved.

94V won't give you a problem either as they'll carry more load than your vehicle is rated to. This is a common load spec that is easily supplied as an alternative as it's std range on VW Touran which has to use it because of 7 seat fitment.

If the other figures check out it should be ok.

Thanks
snow conditions     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
On skiing and motoring forums people often seem to forget that it's worth contacting your local dealership service department to get a definitive confirmation of the winter wheel and tyre combinations specifically certified by the manufacturer for your particular VIN. They get loads of these queries, and even if you're not a regular customer should be happy to help, especially if you infer you're in the market for a set. Service/Aftersales Departments often have their own sales targets so this is good potential business they should be helpful with.

3rd.-Party suppliers and Forums are fine, but you can trip-up: manufacturers change their builds regularly and the same year, model and variant doesn't mean the same brake assembly etc. Usually, yes, but non-fitting wheels/tyres would be an expensive mistake. Over on the owners forum I use, there are regular photos of crunched brake assemblies, torn alloys, and fouled wheel arches where someone has fitted an incompatible wheel and tyre on the basis of someone on a Forum saying 'I have the same model - you'll be fine'.

So worth a ten minute call to your dealership parts/service dept to get them to check for you.
snow report     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
IME dealerships are a bunch of rip off, incompetent shysters.

But I guess they could be useful in this context.
ski holidays     
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Layne wrote:
IME dealerships are a bunch of rip off, incompetent shysters.

But I guess they could be useful in this context.

I know that's a common view of dealers but after nearly 20 years with Mercedes I would disagree. Strangely they may actually know the vehicles better than the customers.
latest report     
@Alastair, Mercedes. Do you think I'm made of money Shocked wink Laughing
snow report     
This is a good time of the year to be asking your local garage parts department to quote for a set of winter wheels and tyres. Last year, my local BMW dealer did a £999 'deal' which was very competitive indeed (although it was only relevant to a subset of models - the rest were more in the £1500-£1800 range). It's all good business for them, and with much longer service intervals, means they get potential customers into the showroom while they're waiting to collect, which allows the sales staff to pounce …..
snow report     

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy