Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mountaineering Survival equipment

Poster: A snowHead
The treatment for hypothermia is not to remove wet clothes unless you're in a warm environment. Otherwise, dry clothes or layers on top of wet ones. So, the blizzard bags are just used in that context.

Obviously they won't dry out, no one would suggest that and it's not the point.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have a breathable bivi bag, lightweight and pretty good. But breathable materials rely on a good temp gradient to drive out the moisture, someone wrapped up with clothing sitting still and with a lowering body temp is not going to provide that much. I've bivi'd out for fun in plastic bags and you do get a bit of condensation in them.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ise,
I wasn't suggesting stripping anyone of wet clothes in the cold. There are different scenarios where someone would need a bivy bag / emergency blankett / blizzard jacket (e.g. injured, stranded out in the cold but uninjured, planned overnight in the wilderness etc).
Just trying to work out what sort of emergency covering will work best in all scenarios and if the weight is feasible for something I am unlikely ever to use.

@Scarpa,
I've always camped overnight in tents, not tried a bivy bag yet. The tents were always fairly humid in the morning (although mainly in the summer) assumed a pastic bag would be a nightmare for condensation.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scarpa wrote:
I have a breathable bivi bag, lightweight and pretty good. But breathable materials rely on a good temp gradient to drive out the moisture, someone wrapped up with clothing sitting still and with a lowering body temp is not going to provide that much. I've bivi'd out for fun in plastic bags and you do get a bit of condensation in them.

Bivi bags and things like blizzard bags are different things though. Different use cases.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DB wrote:

Just trying to work out what sort of emergency covering will work best in all scenarios and if the weight is feasible for something I am unlikely eve.

Blizzard bag and emergency shelter. No doubts. Hypothermia is the common complication of most common incidents even in summer.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ise wrote:
Scarpa wrote:

Bivi bags and things like blizzard bags are different things though. Different use cases.

On a hut to hut I can't take everything but I could be injured or I could get stranded out for the night. Some of the emergency coverings are just a blanket, some are a bag, some are a jacket. Weights range from around 100g to just over 1 kg.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ise, I'm missing IKAR this year, far too expensive even by Cham standards, so opted to get my CPD at the ISSW in Innsbruck.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Too much travel, I'm only just back from the UIAA GA in Mongolia Very Happy I'm not really at IKAR, just meetings at the start and end with a trip to Buxton I the middle.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@DB, At lower altitudes I used to cut a springy stick, tie it into a bow shape with a piece or cord and place it as a hoop in the entrance to the plastic bag, slightly angled forwards in case of rain. Would be a bit windy in the average mountain night though Laughing

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 10-10-18 18:49; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
A belay jacket is also handy. Just pop it on over all the other clothing; windproof, water resistant, breathable and warm when damp. Combine that with a blizzard/shelter bag and you get pretty good insulation. I found over the years that any layer that firstly requires taking your shell off tends to get left in the rucksack until it is almost too late to get the benefit as most people will struggle on while feeling cold rather than risk taking a shell off in the storm (not just the cold to factor in but the chance of it blowing away).

I use this one although in black it does make me look a bit like an 80s football manager...

https://rab.equipment/uk/photon-x-jacket-26

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 10-10-18 18:48; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Scarpa,

Ah so it wasn't just a plastic bag it had a full blown "angled opening" ventilation system. wink

Yes if it was blowing a gale I'll probably just stick my primaloft jacket on over the hard shell overwise I'd stick all the clothing I had on under the jacket away from the wind and let the dry clothing absorb the moisture from the sweaty stuff.

Incidentally I searched for haute route ski touring equipment lists on the 'tinernet but didn't find one that recommended any sort of emergency covering, bag or jacket. Confused
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DB wrote:
... Incidentally I searched for haute route ski touring equipment lists on the 'tinernet but didn't find one that recommended any sort of emergency covering, bag or jacket. Confused
In the the Vgnettes hut incident, the referenced article said:
"One of the biggest traps that influences accidents in the Alps, he said, is that of complacency, because of the fast access and the amazing hut system.
....European clients and guides alike can think they don’t need as much information or equipment redundancy to be safe."

Are there any published stats of the fatalities each year in the Alps in winter analyzed by cause?
I'm just thinking that it's best to start with what the risks actually are and work from there...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you carry enough to comfortably survive anything then you will certainly get benighted due to all the weight slowing you down. Old mountaineering proverb.

I survived a big storm due to digging in, having a duvet jacket in my pack and using my rucksack as a waist high bivi bag. Minimal but I still could walk out the next day.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scarpa wrote:
If you carry enough to comfortably survive anything then you will …..

need a rucksack like this

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@DB, That's for amateurs... you need this.

http://youtube.com/v/1nM6wfjuirE

http://youtube.com/v/dCLM2EGhay0
latest report
@Scarpa,
Fantastic. Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy