Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying a wheeled bag for skis

Poster: A snowHead
I am looking at buying a wheeled bag for my 155cm skis. I have only been using a double non wheeled ski bag for my skis but now looking for something wheeled. I would like something that is not too heavy.

I have been looking at the Dakine Low Roller bags and the Burton Wheelie Gig Bags. Anyone know if the bags will be good for skis. I am looking at getting a snowboard bag for skis as all the ski bags I have seen are too long. Are there any other bags out their that people have used for their skis.

How do people wheel their bags on the snow won’t the snow get stuck in the wheels. Is it better to get a bag with wheels and shoulder straps to carry it over the snow. Is a shoulder strap needed or not.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Low roller is fine. Shoulder strap useful for stairs. Rare to be wheeling a bag in snow deep enough to jam up wheels, not much snow in airports and between the curb and hotel etc.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I dragged my Da Kine Fall Line along a freshly pisted run in Avoriaz at 2am. I was puffing and blowing (on account of being unfit) but the bag coped fine.

The downside of the bag is that the 195 weighs in at around 5kg empty, so already takes a chunk of your luggage allowance. Obviously a shorter bag will be lighter and think a few people with short skis use the low roller
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have used many types of wheeled bags 166-185cm using 11 vehicals one way over 16-18 hours .
The bags are expendable and will be treated so by airlines and often the owners .

Your best bet is a light low roller or gig bag in 156cm or other light shop brands otherwise its going to fold at the ski tips and sag an drag during use even possibly hitting your heels .
A longer bag is only good if you move the short skis forward with a long base plate acting as a strong back with skis held fast this allows more weight like 23kg with b.a .
Make sure it has internal tie down straps inside to hold the skis fast this is important and insulate the contact points ,tips and tails with pipe lagging foam.... if your bovvered.
If the pipe lagging is under the tie downs area of skis this helps compression alot .

If the hardgoods are moving inside a bag the bag damage risk increases .

The wheels would only drag in snow if that was a problem many regions are cobble and bumps dont worry about that...... its a equipment travel bag not a Gucci hand bag (look at a sledge.)
A shoulder strap may be handy if your travelling real heavy with other bags like 45-50 odd kg in total but its just extra junk as most people are door to door via vehicals taxis etc .
The strap needs to be taken off and put back on for travel so if your wheeled bag is 18-23kg why carry it .
Although if you can carry it get a lighter non wheeled bag as it saves weight .
Many train stations have lifts now even in Italy but you can relay stuff up stairs in the sub terrain areas its not busy like london .
London is often the harder part of a trip if using trains europe is fine
If your around london I have couple for sale but I would go 156 for your skis or longer 166 with a long base plate( ie not a gig bag ) if 23 kg

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 1-10-18 19:18; edited 6 times in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have both un-wheeled and wheeled. As said wheeled are heavier in themselves, adding to the overall weight and taking up more of your baggage allowance. Unless you are carrying several pairs of skis needing a wheeled bag it may make sense to go with unwheeled for just one pair.

Having shoulder straps are useful for stairs and also for carrying in more confined spaces (like railway stations and airport passage ways) where you then don't have a nearly 2 metre trailer behind you that people often forget is there are they merrily scythe down people as they swing around a corner.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have the burton roller gig bag
1) the zip seam came away after only a few uses
2) its big
3) its a nightmare to lug around & takes up a bulky amount of room (causes problems with our transfers group due to the size compared to my boards!
4) you end up carrying it a lot due to various surfaces or just because of the amount of room it drags behind you.
5) impractical if you have a suitcase/holdall, rucksack, bootbag. I literally end up having to pull/carry 60kg

I am thinking about replacing for something smaller/more manageable.

Isnt there some sort of hard tube with wheels for ski's?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+1 for Dakine Low roller. Had one for maybe 10 years which I used a few times per season, virtually bomb proof and wheels still work.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What they said.
I use (or share, as it'll take 2 boards + 1 set skis, or 2 sets skis + 1 board or 4 sets skis) is currently a Ride snowboard padded bag, 172 long (my skis are 155 and 163 currently). I supposedly it's technically a double board bag. Previously used similar things of varying makes, whatever was a good price at the time. Doesn't have a shoulder strap, just a hand carry and an end drag one. I wrap skis in bubble wrap inside and usually pack some spare clothing or other stuff in there depending on weight allowances, other luggage weight etc, and run a couple of buckled webbing luggage straps around the outside to hold everything tight.
No problems dragging it around on snow; more annoyances at curbs and bollards at the airport. It is surprisingly bulky and hard to drag along, and particularly fun in snaking queues for ticket check-in desks!
Advantages are that there is potentially a lot of room in there for other stuff: boots, clothes, helmets, food, toiletries and whatever else you take with you.
But, do not expect it to survive baggage handlers unscathed (the usual lottery), so I'd go for whatever you can pick up for the best price (try e bay?), avoid some expensive branded bags, keep weight as low as you can and buy a roll of bubblewrap and some luggage straps. You'll have a good choice if you only want it for short skis as a lot of boards are shorter than skis.
Alternative suggestion, which sometimes works better for us when weight is an issue: use lighter and less bulky non-wheeled snowboard bag (packed and secured in sane way) and wheel it along by strapping it on top of a (lightweight) wheeled holdall (which is what we use as hold luggage) or carry over the shoulder or in hand as circumstances dictate.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We have one of these bad boys, the long version, which is excellent. But a quick google search seems to suggest the don't produce it any more. Bummer! I suppose you could try and find a second hand one. Good quality and the exterior loops to attach another bag are very handy.
https://backcountryskiingcanada.com/Patagonia-Black-Hole-Snow-Roller-Review
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
https://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/Mountain-Pac-Wheelie-Double-Board-Ski-Bag-sku42270401.asp - I have the longer version, but your skis are short enough to fit in this. For trips by air, I take only this and a small rucksack as hand luggage for my helmet and electronics - my skis go side by side, base down onto a layer of T-shirts, then boots go on the ski tails in a 69 position to keep the weight as low as possible, and everything else gets packed around the skis to protect the bindings and tips. Comes in at 22Kg fully packed, and while it isn't the easiest thing to carry up stairs, it works well around airports. Whether your boots will fit in the length of your skis between the rear of the bindings and the tail of the skis will determine whether you can do it like this, otherwise boots in hand luggage is the answer.

Edit: cheaper, shorter version at https://www.outdooraction.co.uk/skiing-snowboard-ski-equipment-ski-bags/manbi/mountain-pac-short-wheely-double-ski-snowboard-bag-mb360-pd-3396.php or cheaper again (£50) at https://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/mountain-pac-wheeled-double-ski-and-snowboard-bag.html

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 1-10-18 18:05; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Had a K2 double bag and the wheels only lasted 2 trips of baggage handlers. The bag was very well padded and great apart from that. Only issue is as mentioned above though very big and could fit huge amount of stuff in there you did not need much added to it, along with the 2 sets of skis, to blow the weight limit.
So tried a Lokker double as it was the lightest I could find. Total rubbish too small to get near the weight limit and stitching fell apart on the first trip.
For 155 skis you can also look at Snowboard bags.
You need to look at them and try them.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Have a look at Decathlon wheeled bags.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Douchebags are nice. Adjustable length and reasonably light. A bit more expensive though.

https://douchebags.com/the-douchebag
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Douchebags are nice. Adjustable length and reasonably light. A bit more expensive though.

https://douchebags.com/the-douchebag
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Douchbag +1 but at 155cm no need for a roller bag surely? Why not carry them in a normal ski bag.
ski holidays
I put up a similar thread last year - very useful contributions from snowHead

I ended up getting Dakine low roller 165 and really like it, used for 2 trips up to now, carrying 2 sets of skis (longest 164) and assorted clothing & gubbins. Easy enough to pick up and carry when required, but hideous in the easyjet queue at Geneva (snake) rolling eyes on long straight runs the velcro handle thing will attach to a wheely suitcase handle (or the Dakine splitroller that I also bought because I, errm, needed it, really, not at all because it matched...)
snow report
My Burton Wheelie is well over 10 years old, although unused for the last few years as my gear now lives in VdI, but the bag has soaked up the worst the GVA baggage handlers could throw at it.

If taking skis in it, put one along either edge, on their side. Pack the area between with your clothes etc. Putting the skis on their side makes the bag much more rigid as they cannot bend in this direction.
latest report
If you are looking for cheap then you'll have to go a long way to beat this from Decathlon.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/500-sp-trvlcovski-black-id_8398420.html?_cclid=v3_de73c6a1-2755-5c27-b402-8d831f015220&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8IGZqcnt3QIVg7DtCh2HIgC2EAQYAiABEgJ7FvD_BwE

It's not padded so I pack ski clothes around the skis, very practical for one pair of skis, and light compared to most ski bags. I've managed to get 2 pairs of skis in this bag by removing the rail mounted bindings and then wrapping in clothes and packing in the bag. Even with 2 pairs of skis it is lighter than my previous S&R roller bag with one pair.
latest report
That linked Decathlon Wedze is a functional bag that will address alot of issues people dont realise they need for those wanting a low volume wheeled bag .
I think others will copy that .

Its cost may reflect its durability at the wheeled end but if so next years will be better .
ski holidays
looking at the Wedze above or a Douche Bag Slim Jim at the moment. Is there any padding in either of them?
latest report
@Mosha Marc, Wedze has no padding. I just pack some of my ski clothes in the bag to protect the skis. As for durability mine has done 3 trips by air and 4 by car and is still ok so at just over £2 per journey it owes me nothing.
latest report
Quote:
My Burton Wheelie is well over 10 years old....

Just a note on that. I had one Burton Wheelie which had the main handle (the one on the end, the one the whole thing depends on) ripped off on it's first leg of it's first trip. I've had Dakine bags similarly destroyed in one trip.
My [double] garage is lined on both sides with the carcasses of old snowboard bags.

It's a game of chance, not really a bag design issue. Mostly anything works fine, other than hard-shells, the design of the bag does not appear to be the major factor.
ski holidays
@Tdaulphi, I am selling an immaculate Burton Board Bag that was used for my sons skis. As you say, most bags are very long but as his longest ski was 151cm (GS) I wanted something that was easy for him to use. He is now up to 165 so the bag is now too short. I was able to get 3 pairs of his skis in there by removing the bindings. As this bag also has the 'secret' compartment it is entirely possible to carry both skis and a board.

The link to my post is here:-

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3237822&highlight=burton#3237822
snow conditions
@Mosha Marc, I've got the DB one and tbph its nothing special, no better than a Dakine one we've also got - i'd not buy another but got it in a 50% sales a couple of years ago so its OK.
snow report
@Markymark29, thanks for that. Saved me a bob or two snowHead
snow report
Could try Decathlon

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/skisnb-trvlbag-900-grey-id_8398284.html

length is adjustable

I have a similar one which they don't sell any more. Its good the only thing I don't like about it is there is only a small carrying handle on the side. I clip on a bigger shoulder strap.
My skis boots , helmet plus all the clothes I need for a week fit in and come to ~22kg total.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy