Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Champoluc in March

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks

Sorry to start a new topic for a simple question, but when (generally) do the snow conditions start to deteriorate in the Champoluc Monterosa area? Hoping to head there next March sometime but want to make sure we catch it before the conditions turn to complete !@#~

Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You should be fine in March - and certainly will be above the first lift up.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kind of generally hard to predict anything like that... in principle you should be fine...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It is not low, also surrounded by the biggest 4K peaks in the Alps, so usualy should be OK (only visited two Januaries, July and this August). But it should not be prone to loosing snow faster than anywhere else in the Western part of the Alps.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've been there 4 of the last 5 years in early March, ranged from powder heaven (twice) to just loads of snow.

snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the replies folks - I know it was a bit of a 'how long's a piece of string' question, but it was suspiciously cheap so thought I'd check!!

Is Champoluc-Alagna and back do-able in a day without schussing down every hill?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@StudentSnowHead, yep, only went all the way over once, as personally I prefer the Champoluc side of Colle de Bettaforca
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@StudentSnowHead, easily doable. Just be aware of last link times and if breezy an eye on the wind. If they suggest getting back to your home valley, do so pronto.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alagna is relatively low (1200m) and the snow can get a bit slushy/rocky/icy towards the bottom so be aware of that. You can cut your descent short at Pianalunga or the new chair from Cimalegna if you decide not to continue all the way down. It is a fantastic run down though if it's in good condition.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@StudentSnowhead . I am sure lots of people check this forum to find/ give pointers toward/ warning messages away from 'Suspiciously cheap deals' so once you have secured your own price (if you are that way inclined) any chance you can share the details ?? I somehow managed to book a week off in March just in case I happened across a 'suspiciously cheap deal'.....or that's how I justified it at home!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Sweeney Todd, not sure what so special about the piste Pianalunga-Alagna myself, other than the Grande Halte or Baita for lunch Happy

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 12-10-18 15:46; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@under a new name,
Oooh! Hoity toity! wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Sweeney Todd, for a small person of small appetite, I like my lunch.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Champoluc sits at 1600m and should be fine until early-April.

Last season, the runs to resort were open from mid-Dec to mid-Apr.

Famous locally for its offpiste.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not been down to alagna for a few years...but on a good day its decent run... food at the bottom used to be large portions
ski holidays
Also new chair lift at the crest this year...top of crest the walk to the next bubble lift is now a couple of metres
ski holidays
Not been down to alagna for a few years...but on a good day its decent run... food at the bottom used to be large portions
ski holidays
Thanks for the tips all! @toyah807 I've not booked anything yet but should be doing next few days - I just noticed that prices suddenly dipped on 2nd March, versus the previous week (almost £120 difference on an Inghams package), much bigger difference than a lot of resorts on there so part of me wondered why!

@under a new name - yeah heard a few people mention the wind, I'll keep an eye/ear out for any announcements/signs, and stay on the Champ side if it's particularly breezy!
ski holidays
@yorkshirelad, new bubble, not new chair [/pedant] wink.

Bro in law says new stations top and bottom both much improved, at least from the outside.

@StudentSnowHead, you don’t need to stay Ayas side if windy, just heed the alerts. It’s a costly taxi from Alagna...
ski holidays
@under a new name, all the phots i have seen are months old...does your Bro in law know of any upto date pics ??
latest report
@yorkshirelad, I don’t think it occurred to him to take any.
snow conditions
StudentSnowHead wrote:
Thanks for the replies folks - I know it was a bit of a 'how long's a piece of string' question, but it was suspiciously cheap so thought I'd check!!

Is Champoluc-Alagna and back do-able in a day without schussing down every hill?

Yes very easy, did it with my kids who were 13 and 16 at the time..

Not sure if you can see this link?? https://www.strava.com/activities/494310368
snow conditions
StudentSnowHead wrote:

Yes very easy, did it with my kids who were 13 and 16 at the time..

Not sure if you can see this link?? https://www.strava.com/activities/494310368
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy