Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Gets restaurant owner shot by hunter

Poster: A snowHead
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/oct/14/british-man-shot-dead-by-hunter-in-france
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh dear, oh dear. Horrific.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, just saw this on the BBC news site - horrific, but it was going to happen sometime. Poor man. Being in the French woods can be a hazardous undertaking. A collie dog belonging to a French neighbour went missing some years ago and hunters were believed to be responsible.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
In the days when I did a lot of walking in France, I used to be very scared in the hunting season. I'd wear the brightest jacket I could find, but still didn't feel safe. The French will shoot anything that moves, particularly after lunch, when they're as like as not to be alcohol-fuelled. Sad
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jeez....idiot hunters.

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/british-mountain-biker-shot-dead-in-morzine-by-hunter.html
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not the first hunting death this season nor likely the last. The usual excuse seems to be that the hunter thought the victim was a boar.
It is also the time of year when the secret distilling of the local firewater takes place in the woods. Put the two together and it is very dangerous.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Timc,
Quote:

The usual excuse seems to be that the hunter thought the victim was a boar.
Indeed, being small of stature, but solidly built, I was most scared of being mistaken for a boar.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This case is of a British cyclist being shot. Hard to mistake a man on a bike for a wild boar?

Tragic mishap anyway. ☹️
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Shocking and tragic.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
That's the second ex-pat tragedy in the village in the last few months, in such a small community.

I've often found shells and bullets out walking the dog. Lower down the valley, hunting is restricted to Thurs and Sun from Sep to Jan, but it seems to vary higher up.

https://www.wildbeetskitchen.com/blog/our-story
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Timc wrote:
Not the first hunting death this season nor likely the last. The usual excuse seems to be that the hunter thought the victim was a boar.
It is also the time of year when the secret distilling of the local firewater takes place in the woods. Put the two together and it is very dangerous.

I would hope that as soon as the Police investigation started then as part of it they checked the hunter to see if he had consumed alcohol.....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Crying or Very sad shocking
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
Yes, just saw this on the BBC news site - horrific, but it was going to happen sometime.

Sometime? like every weekend.

Quote:
"I haven't written anything on Facebook in years, but today it's different, we talk about my husband, we say a lot of things and there are a lot of comments... I was the one who held him in my arms for 15 minutes, his head blown apart before help arrived. I was alone for at least 5 minutes before a hunter came by my side while I was screaming and they were standing 50 metres from us! They took the time to agree on their version of the facts.

It was Saturday December 5th, we live at the foot of Semnoz and have been running for years. We know the hunting periods, signals and rules...

But this Saturday morning, we didn't see any signs on the roads we took.

On the other hand, we met a hunter 100 meters before the shooting, to whom we kindly said hello, who did not answer us, who turned his back on us and who did not tell us that a few meters higher were 6-7 hunters.

We were both talking loudly, I was dressed in pink and blue and the terrain was clear and 10 m from the road leading to Semnoz. 1 minute later I heard a terrible shot, I turned around and my husband was down with a bullet in his head and his face exploded.

That day, we followed the rules, but they didn't. That day my husband was not the victim of an accident, he was killed.

That day we met assassins, hunting is not a game. My husband was 1.82 meters tall, weighed 83 kilograms, he was no boar. He was handsome, he had 2 little girls, we were happy....

So what do we do now? »

In court last week the "hunter" was decribed as "Rambo". He admitted to firing wildly into the woods to where he could hear a sound, he thought it was a boar. He got a 12 month prison sentence.

As we say locally, what's the difference between a hunter and a bottle of beer. You can find beer without alcohol in it.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 14-10-18 18:38; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Getting as bad as in the States Evil or Very Mad

A typical deer or boar calibre can be lethal at 4km; firing wildly at all should ensure that you are kicked out of the hunting club. But... I wouldn't really call a lot of the people involved dedicated hunters, more people who treat shooting as a social event and often lack the basic gun safety protocols.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dumbstruck, we hired Marc as our chef in Morzine a couple of years ago. Great lad, great food, such a waste of life. Sad
ski holidays
Quote:
That day my husband was not the victim of an accident, he was killed.
The most important point in that terrible story. Shocked to hear it's not an impossibly rare event.
latest report
@davidof, Sad Sad Sad
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Quote:
The most important point in that terrible story. Shocked to hear it's not an impossibly rare event.

On average, an accident every other weekend.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Quote:

Good grief! Public pressure to reduce that, or just seen as a price worth paying?
latest report
Use to happen with regularity in NZ, no matter what the victim was wearing. The hunters seem keyed on firing on movement and didn't identify their targets first.
snow report
Germany has a lot of hunting yet only seems to have about 2 fatalities per year.

Int J Legal Med. 1996;108(5):252-5.
Firearm fatalities and injuries from hunting accidents in Germany.
Karger B1, Wissmann F, Gerlach D, Brinkmann B.
Author information
Institute of Legal Medicine, University of Münster, Germany.

Abstract

Accidental hunting firearm injuries and fatalities (257 cases from 1961 to 1992) were evaluated in detail. Most persons responsible for the accident were more than 40 years old and experienced in hunting, and 26% of the gunshot wounds were fatal. In 77% of cases the victim was shot by another person and in 23% the wound was self-inflicted. The firearms/ammunition used were pellets from shotguns (63%), bullets from rifles (31%), shotgun slugs (3.5%) and bullets from handguns (2.5%). In 22% of all accidents from pellets severe eyeball injuries were involved, and 38% of the wounds were caused from a distance of 5 m or less, including all self-inflicted injuries. The most frequent factors responsible for the accident were: improper handling of the firearm (37%), failure to notice the victim (24.1%), covering the victim while swinging on the game (14.8%), ricocheting projectiles (13.6%), inadequate storage of the firearm (11.7%) and mistaking the victim for game (9.3%). In some cases more than one factor contributed to the accident. Defective firearm/ammunition, as the only non-human factor, was involved in only 1.6% of accidents. Some aspects of the prevention and the forensic investigation of hunting accidents are discussed.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8721425
latest report
Coincidentally I just bought a hi-vis orange camo overjacket for future driven boar hunting. A bright orange hat will be purchased also. Perhaps a kevlar vest should be on the list rolling eyes
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
davidof wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Quote:

Good grief! Public pressure to reduce that, or just seen as a price worth paying?

Pretty much every 'hunter' is part of a syndicate (by buying their licence) - these syndicates have very good representation 'per capita' at government level. Most walkers / bikers etc aren't members of clubs so don't have anything like this sort of representation.

There was a 'good' one last year (?) when a hunter mistakenly shot dead 3 donkeys in a fenced off field...
1 might be a mistake, but 3 is plain malice...
ski holidays
offpisteskiing wrote:
[There was a 'good' one last year (?) when a hunter mistakenly shot dead 3 donkeys in a fenced off field...
1 might be a mistake, but 3 is plain malice...
Did they eat the donkeys, or was it just randomly killing animals?
latest report
From The Times ....
Macron getting desperate?
The last line is simply daft!
Quote:
President Macron has been wooing the hunting lobby as part of a campaign to increase his popularity in rural areas. He has promised to drop the cost of shooting licences to encourage more people to take part. At the same time public opposition has been mounting, with several protests organised by animal welfare organisations. More than one million people hold game shooting licences. A poll last month found 70 per cent of French citizens are afraid of being shot if they take country walks during the autumn shooting season.
Fears have increased since silencers were allowed on rifles in January.
latest report
@rob@rar, the latter...
snow report
offpisteskiing wrote:
@rob@rar, the latter...
sickening, and apparently dangerous.
snow report
@boredsurfin, I'm fairly sure that moderators are allowed on rifles in the UK.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
French rural inbreds will pop anything that moves.

Birds from Africa, bears from Spain, bikers from England.

French hunters murder 10-20 random folk a year.
snow conditions
Apparently the average is 20 hunting related deaths a year although not all those are hunter on innocent person. Some are hunter on hunter, some are boar goring hunter and some just older hunter collapsing from a heart attack while out on the hunt. The proportions vary from year to year.
latest report
rjs wrote:
@boredsurfin, I'm fairly sure that moderators are allowed on rifles in the UK.

They are indeed, all of my rifles had moderators installed - from rim fires up to .308 Win although you will still get the supersonic crack with the exception of sub sonic rounds such as .22LR

Terrible tradegy in France, my condolences to the family of the man killed, there is also burden of guilt that the young man will have to carry with him for the rest of his life

Having hunted with a rifle for a number of years it makes me feel sick at the waste of a young’s man life that was so avoidable. You never take a shot unless you can both clearly identify the target and have a safe back stop - Part of basic firearm safety

It has happened in the UK with people lamping foxes
snow conditions
Yup, as per above, the difference a moderator makes is that you can hear the rifle from 1 mile away instead of 3. They also lessen recoil and do not damage hearing as much.
snow report
A few years ago in NZ a young school teacher got shot while cleaning her teeth at a camp ground whilst wearing a head torch. Idiot spotlighting at night (illegal) mistook the head torch for a deer's eyes.

It's something I'm always conscious of as a keen fisherman in the back country. Have had plenty of close ish calls over the years with hunters, and when the red mist descends, people don't think clearly and check the target and firing zone.
snow report
An absolutely apalling incident resulting in the death of an innocent person who had every right to be where he was. The number of people killed in France in hunting accidents would seem to show that many of those taking part are reckless and ignorant of firearm safety. Evil or Very Mad

On a lighter note, I saw this hunting related joke elsewhere and thought it worthy of reposting:

A hunter goes into the woods to hunt a bear. He carries his trusty 22-gauge rifle with him. After a while, he spots a very large bear, takes aim, and fires. When the smoke clears, the bear is gone. A moment later, the bear taps the hunter on the shoulder and says, “No one shoots at me and gets away with it. You have two choices: I can rip your throat out and eat you, or you can drop your trousers, bend over, and I’ll roger you senseless. The hunter decides that anything is better than death, so he drops his trousers and bends over; and the bear does what he said he would do.

After the bear has left, the hunter pulls up his trousers and staggers back into town. He’s pretty mad. He buys a much larger gun and returns to the forest. He sees the same bear, aims, and fires. When the smoke clears, the bear is gone. A moment later the bear taps the hunter on the shoulder and says, “You know what to do.”

Afterward, the hunter pulls up his trousers, crawls back into town, and buys a bazooka. Now he’s really mad. He returns to the forest, sees the bear, aims, and fires.

The force of the bazooka blast knocks him flat on his back. When the smoke clears, the bear is standing over him and says, “You’re not doing this for the hunting, are you?”
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink, Laughing

On most of the driven boar hunts there is a safety briefing at the begining, and like a game shoot, hunters are assigned a fixed position or high seat with instructions such as no firing within 30 degrees of the line of hunters, wait until positive identification etc. Most shots are taken at 50m or less. If you are just wandering through the woods then the onus on safe shooting is even more vital, ricochets can be a problem and having a safe backstop to the shot is vital.
snow conditions
boredsurfin wrote:
From The Times ....
Macron getting desperate?
The last line is simply daft!
Quote:
President Macron has been wooing the hunting lobby as part of a campaign to increase his popularity in rural areas. He has promised to drop the cost of shooting licences to encourage more people to take part. At the same time public opposition has been mounting, with several protests organised by animal welfare organisations. More than one million people hold game shooting licences. A poll last month found 70 per cent of French citizens are afraid of being shot if they take country walks during the autumn shooting season.
Fears have increased since silencers were allowed on rifles in January.

President Macron, desperate, whatever gave you that idea?

latest report
I cannot understand the obsession with hunting that Southern Europeans have. The slaughter of bird life is shocking, particularly in Malta and Italy. I was in a national park in Croatia recently and did not see any bird life other than a few ducks.

Gun safety is not difficult. I shot small bore rifle and pistol as a teenager and in my twenties. Later I hoped to shoot humans too when I was in the army, but never got to see a terrorist with his hands on a rifle. My brother tells me he is one of the best rifle shots in the country but I have not touched a gun on twenty years.

When I lived in NZ the woods were full of gun toting thugs in their 4x4s with mad vicious dogs. I was not allowed to walk my labrador in the hunting woods though.

Strange bunch hunters.
ski holidays
One does wonder why this can't be policed a bit more effectively. A zero tolerance mandatory 5 year prison sentence for any "accidental" shooting of another human (even if not fatal) might focus the mind somewhat - although might also result in many corpses of brightly dressed cyclists and walkers being buried in shallow graves.

I have a few friends in the US that hunt and it isn't undertaken lightly without a lot of responibility and thought before pulling the trigger. In fact one friend has gone off the idea of the kill almost entirely and says it is enough for him to have a clear and safe shot lined up then back off the trigger.
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes, maybe he needs to find a new “sport”....I just don’t get it.
ski holidays
@Markymark29, He enjoys the being outdoors and the effort put in to get in a position where a shot might be viable plus the social aspects but i) the thrill of killing things has gone and ii) doesn't find it worth the hassle of lugging carcasses of large deer etc out from remote locations worth it*. I guess de facto he is becoming a wildlife photographer. Having been born and raised in a hunting family I don't find his position too bizarre.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy