Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Steinplatte new years + kids

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Any thoughts on Steinplatte over New Years with two children 7 & 5.
Perhaps a few lessons for them over the week.
Is it setup for kids?
Can it be too exposed and unpleasant?
Is it too low and are there not enough snow cannons?

More generally, can you book somewhere decent over the new year break (starting 29th or 30th) nearer the time when you have an idea of where the snow is?
I've got an itchy trigger finger at the moment and feel ready to book something, but don't want to be kicking myself down the line.
Never been away over this period before, and of course any operator/agency are going to say "BOOK NOW".

Any comments constructive or destructive most welcome.

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think you might find trying to find accommodation for the New Year period difficult now, most places will be booked up. Possibly one of the less popular areas like Steinplatte might be easier. I have stayed in Waidring but not for skiing at Steinplatte, it did not stand out as particularly pretty or convenient for skiing (no pistes down to the village) but I am sure given the right conditions it would be a perfectly pleasant place to stay. Austria (and Germany - a bit of the ski area is over the border ) is generally kid friendly and the smaller resorts make special efforts to attract families.

The big question is "will there be any snow?". I would suggest the snow canon setup in the smaller resorts is likely to be less comprehensive than larger places, eg nearby spots like Kitzbühel or Saalbach-Hinterglemm (something reflected in the cost of the ski passes, a day ticket in Kitzbühel will be €57 this year, Steinplatte a lot less I guess).

Personally I think you would be taking a fair risk booking for New Year unless you would be just as happy with non skiing activities. There are places nearby which are far more snow sure easily reachable by car, so day trips are possible. However if snow is in short supply then these places will be very busy and conditions there probably less than ideal too.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We love SteinplAtte and will be there over New Year. Hopefully skiing. Every year I start getting Nervy after booking so early in the season.

Great place for kids. Haven't tried ski school but there are plenty around. We also like to ski over to Winklmoos which is great for beginners.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
All but one piste is above 1100m which is relatively high for that area and it tends to catch some big snowfalls if the weather is coming from the North or North East.
The snow cannon set up is comprehensive on the Austrian side, but there's none (at least there wasn't last year) over the border on the German bit.

The village is quite pretty and Zardini's bar at the gondola base station is fun (don't miss the Tirolerean evening which is free).
Most of the accommodation is up the hill a bit from the gondola. There is a free bus or you can rent a locker at the gondola if the walk is too much.

The Waidring ski school is fine, taking my kids (slightly older than yours) down their first black run on their third week.
The nursery slope is in the village and separate to the Steinplatte area. After a couple of days they'll probably be up on the mountain.
The ski school is all day, you pay a supplement for lunchtime supervision and food, so no need to meet up for lunch.
We take advantage of this to explore nearby resorts. SkiWelt, Kitzbuhel, Ski Circus are close if you have a car and covered on the regional ski pass.

This is a trip report I did in 2017

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3060603&highlight=waidring#3060603
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy