Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Colour blindness

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I suffer from red green colour blindness and irrespective of light source or conditions I find it really difficult to differentiate between red and black on printed piste map, I have thickened in the piste colour I want with felt tip but that isn’t a solution when I move away from the map I had prepared the previous evening. This isn’t a problem when I stop and concentrate on markers at the lift but the big piste map at lift can be hit and miss. Has anyone found a solution, I don’t think I’m alone in this given the high proportion of people that suffer one way or another from colour blindness.
Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ski lessons ? So you won't care what colour the piste markers are.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Maybe go over the red runs on your piste map with a yellow highlighter to give them a yellow outline?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not sure if this will work, whether you see red as black or whatever, but there is an app called Chromatic Vision Simulator'. Download it, then click on the eye symbol, point it to somewhere that's red and black, then choose 'P' or 'D' and unchoose 'C'. What was red will now appear green. If your eyes work differently play about with P, D, and T until you see a difference.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chromatic Vision Simulator, that’s clever and cool, thanks
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
EnChroma lenses?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Color filters? Like those used for camera lenses.

Say you’re interested in skiing only blues. Hold up the blue filter. All the red and black fade away, only the blue stands out.

Get the color that correspond to the piste marker color. Might need to experiment a little to find the best ones.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@abc, no, the black will remain black and the red will become brown. Don't forget, by adding a filter you're superimposing a colour on the colours seen, so only the colour that corresponds to the colour of the filter will remain unchanged, the other colours will be themselves + the colour of the filter.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Im the same, so maybe draw symbols on your map. Red circles black diamonds square blues.

Alternatively you could use an image editor & play around the colours/replace colour tool
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Have someone WITHOUT colour blindness spend 5 mins with a fine black pen, marking 'v's along the direction of travel. One > for blue, >> for red and >>> for black. One set per run might suffice, depending on how long the run is and if it goes over a fold.

I just had misty nostalgia for marking up military quarter mil charts before a LL trip!

Edited to actually state the obvious!

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 20-10-18 16:50; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Charliegolf, how will he know which ones to mark >> and >>> if they both look the same on the map?

Puzzled
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
https://pilestone.co.uk/?gclid=CjwKCAjwpKveBRAwEiwAo4Pqm5S9iG5zVwziP8GzpJStpeKkYuvsM4_0hQmQybrDxY4-2A4q9QaaMRoCf40QAvD_BwE
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
marodo2712 wrote:
@Charliegolf, how will he know which ones to mark >> and >>> if they both look the same on the map?

Puzzled

Not rocket science to have a little help before departure/first day of skiing is it?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, if he relied on some of the rogues on here to do the job for him, he'd end up hurtling down the Kamikazi at terminal velocity!

Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Some great ideas here but I'm not sure how any marking of the piste map in his pocket helps with trying to take a quick look at the big map at the top of the lift.
latest report
Some great ideas here but I'm not sure how any marking of the piste map in his pocket helps with trying to take a quick look at the big map at the top of the lift.
snow report
ski holidays
@enigma, I have the same problem (possibly worse - I struggle with piste markers also). I used Smith googles with chromapop lenses, which I think work on a similar principle to the Envision lenses. They're great in terms of vision and contrast, but don't really help with colours.

If you find something that works, I'd love to hear about it.
snow report
tarrantd wrote:

If you have a map in your pocket you can interpret, that you know is accurate, why look at one you can't?
ski holidays
marodo2712 wrote:
by adding a filter you're superimposing a colour on the colours seen, .

Actually, no.

Filters don’t “add” color. It only “removes” colors that don’t correspond to the filter’s color.
snow report
rjs wrote:
Ski lessons ? So you won't care what colour the piste markers are.

This is the obvious solution!
snow conditions
Quote:

Actually, no.

Filters don’t “add” color. It only “removes” colors that don’t correspond to the filter’s color.

Yes.

If you hold a red filter in front of the US flag, the reds would appear to disappear, the whites would appear to be red, and the blues would appear to be purple.

Red + white = red
Red + blue = purple
Red + red = red.

The red filter is adding a colour (superimposing) over the colours on the flag, thus red appears to be 'removed' relative to other colours, in actual fact it is simply lost in contrast.
snow report
No
ski holidays
Get a piece if white paper, then write your name in a red marker pen, then look at it through a red filter. Depending on the shades of red of the marker and the filter, the writing will appear to disappear, this is because the white appears red and the red appears red, thus the red appears to disappear, but what we're actually seeing is the white becoming red, but our brain perceives that the red has disappeared, it's an optical illusion.

Try it.
snow report
Yes, your last post is correct in describing the effect.

But your explanation of all previous posts were wrong.

Filters don’t “add” colors. Only our (some) brains do. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
marodo2712 wrote:
Don't forget, by adding a filter you're superimposing a colour on the colours seen,...

You are subtracting a colour (or maybe several colours) when you use a filter.
ski holidays
Filters 'overlay' colours, such that red overlaid on blue appears purple, the red is 'added' to the blue, by overly, to create purple, nothing, as per your earlier post is 'removed', especially not colours that 'don't correspond to the filters colour'.
snow report
@Thornyhill, how can using tinted glass 'remove' anything? You are viewing one colour through another, changing the perceived shade of the colour observed. Nothing is subtracted, colours are augmented not removed.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@marodo2712, if you like to receive help in properly understand HOW lights and filters work, start a thread in apres. Leave this thread for the OP to receive other useful suggestions.

@enigma, if you can get a hold of a set of color filters, try them on paper piste maps to find the ones that produce useful effects. Keep in mind different resorts may use piste maps of different backgrounds so the effects may differ.
snow conditions
@marodo2712, the clue is in the name. Filters remove things.
latest report
@abc, i don't need any help thanks, you're the one who obviously hasn't a clue what you're on about, you couldn't have got the following more wrong.

Quote:

Say you’re interested in skiing only blues. Hold up the blue filter. All the red and black fade away, only the blue stands out.

And i have given the OP useful siggestions, he even thanked me, unlike your singular suggestion above which was, to use the anglo saxon, a right load of old w*nk.

@Rabbie, semantics.
ski holidays
@marodo2712, I suggest you read up on the physics of colour before lecturing people
snow report
@Rabbie, and have you?
ski holidays
@marodo2712, Yes I have the degree to back it up.
snow conditions
Ok...
snow report
marodo2712 wrote:
@abc, i don't need any help thanks, you're the one who obviously hasn't a clue what you're on about...

except for Rabbie and me. My thesis was about image processing and using both physical and numerical filters. I suspect that you should do as abc says and start a new argument in Apres. Would be better than another brexit thread to be honest.
snow conditions
As the saying goes “you don’t know what you don’t know”...

3 people who had degrees on related fields know what we do know, and our limit of what we don’t know.

The only one who “knows it all” and doesn’t need the education, is the one who doesn’t know what...?

But this is the Internet. He who shout the loudest will be heard most, whether the message is jewel or garbage. It’s really up to the OP to pick and choose what he gets out of this.

There’s no point in “winning” this argument. It doesn’t bother me the least bit that @marodo2712 continue to believe filters add color Toofy Grin

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 21-10-18 21:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
A gel or glass filter removes nothing, it augments existing colours with the colour of the filter, overlaying a hue, leaving any colour the same as the filter unchanged, leading to the perception that colours the same as the filter have been filtered out.

Me, web designer, Photoshoper, photographer.
snow conditions
@abc, I don't really know much about colour blindness. I know a lot about filters. I have a notion that colour blindness and filters might be related along with wavelengths and optic nerves and perception but as you correctly state "you don't know what you don't know".

@marodo2712, Start a thread in Apres. None of this is helping the OP but it is quite interesting.
ski holidays
Oh man, that's sad. Stop digging. The Dunning-Kruger effect is dragging you down.

---
On the OP... try North America, where the black runs have diamond shapes. Greens runs are shown as circles and blues are square. Double black diamonds are the steepest stuff.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy