Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Monts Jura - Lelex Crozet

Poster: A snowHead
I was looking at a map of Geneva on www.viamichelin.com and I spotted some ski lifts very close to the airport (according to its route planner within 16 minutes drive of the airport). These go up to the Monts-Jura, Lelex-Crozet ski area. It doesn't look much but I pondered the idea of getting the first flight (hand luggage only) from Luton to Geneva landing at around 9:15. Getting a cab and being on the slopes by 10 to 10:30am. Skiing all day and getting the last flight straight back again.

Has anyone ever heard of this place/been there and would what I'm suggesting be feasible snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chris Reed, There was a brief thread on this a while back. No one seemed to be particularly enthusiastic!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Reading the previous thread it looks like you'd need to do it at short notice to get the best conditions - in which case the flight to Geneva would be tricky to get...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well I used to ski there occasionally and it can be really quite fun.
(I lived nearby for a while - it was better than working for an afternoon).
But it is very small and gets (if its a weekend with nice snow) crowded.

You also want to avoid whichever afternoon it gets invaded by school kids (thursday from memory but I could be wrong).

Also I hope you like drag lifts...

If you are a black run skier they are often closed.

And this info is about 7 years out of date.

But I took my first ski - steps? there (and snowbaording ones) so tis fondly remembered.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mark Lehto wrote:

You also want to avoid whichever afternoon it gets invaded by school kids (thursday from memory but I could be wrong).

That would probably be Wednesday afternoon.... all kids have Wednesday afternoon off, some have the morning off as well....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yea - I have this vague memory of being surprised when it wasnt wednesday though. Ise would probably know. I expect its the Swiss kids that really add the numbers.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There's a lot of stations round that area, all the wy along the Jura from Geneva to Bern and beyond both sides of the border. I've colleagues who live in some of them and they obviously ski them. Mostly not worth the effort I reckon.

How would get skis and kit if you're hand lugage only ? You'll struggle to hire kit in these tiny stations.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ise, I'd be very suprised if you can't hire skis and according to there website you can. I'd be a bit stuffed if you can't as I don't own skis! Don't know what the quality of the skis would be like mind you ..........
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There's often somewhere, even in the smallest of resorts, but I'd be wary all the same. I did once go to one such place near Gap (Céüse), intending to get some blades, but the guy who ran the only hire shop had a severe hangover that morning. He didn't turn up until nearly 11am so I would have been stuffed if I hadn't brought my own skis!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
PG wrote:
There's often somewhere, even in the smallest of resorts, but I'd be wary all the same. I did once go to one such place near Gap (Céüse), intending to get some blades, but the guy who ran the only hire shop had a severe hangover that morning. He didn't turn up until nearly 11am so I would have been stuffed if I hadn't brought my own skis!

Yes, and some of the hire shops are satelites of the a nearby branch and don't open. There's a few stations round here where I can't recall ever seeing a hire shop, that said there's a couple open on the way to the station.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There used to be a shop right at the bottom of the lift up (ie in the same building).
I should imagine it is still there.

The taxi plan could be quite non-cheap as well btw.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh! Well! It was a nice idea while it lasted. Mark Lehto, How expensive are taxis do you reckon?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I remember seeing some midweek one-day returns being advertised on teletext at £99 including flight and transfer. This wasn't to Jura, but to a more established resort. That was for season 2002/2003, but I didn't check for it this last one. It might be a viable alternative.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 21-05-04 13:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chris Reed, I wouldn't have thought a day's care hire would be out of reach if you're considering a taxi.... then you could go a little further afield if necessary....
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chris Reed well they were about 40SF to the border (CERN). Guessing at
another 40SF to the resort. erm not sure of the current rat but 35quid?

Of course there is the french side of the airport which might be cheaper.
And car hire might be cheaper.

At which point in time going the night before, staying in a hotel, and getting the ski bus to one of the bigger resorts might be an idea. (busses went to Contamines, Flaine and Chamonix in my day. I heard a rumour they were doing Avoriaz nowadays as well).

To be as helpful as possible - the busses might not run every day!
snow report
Intersport in Switzerland used to offer a deal with the federal railway allowing skis to be picked up or deposited at railway stations. Wonder if something could be arranged at the airport station.
latest report
Ah..Mont Jura. I can see it from my apartment. If this is any help to you....I hardly ever go there and it is 15 minutes away. Why? The conditions are so unreliable. You can hire skis but beware... the lift from the Crozet (Geneva) side is often closed for high winds and a taxis to Col de la Faucille would cost a small fortune.
I agree with Mark Lehto. Take one of the buses from the airport to Flaine or Les Contamines. Extremely reasonable at 60CHF or so including ski pass.
Much more reliable than skiing Mont Jura.
ski holidays
If you time it right though, it really is worth trying these smaller, less popular resorts, especially if you're tied to travelling during the busy periods. There are times when a day's skiing at the Ballon d'Alsace in the Vosges, or the tiny resort of Ancelle in the Champsaur just north of Gap, or even the Mont Ventoux just 30 mins drive from Avignon, have given me at least as much pleasure as I've had on a good day in the classic resorts (and considerably more in the holiday periods!)
ski holidays
PG wrote:
If you time it right though, it really is worth trying these smaller, less popular resorts, especially if you're tied to travelling during the busy periods. There are times when a day's skiing at the Ballon d'Alsace in the Vosges, or the tiny resort of Ancelle in the Champsaur just north of Gap, or even the Mont Ventoux just 30 mins drive from Avignon, have given me at least as much pleasure as I've had on a good day in the classic resorts (and considerably more in the holiday periods!)

It is good to ski the smaller stations, and I do and I bet sparrish does, but the Jura is really low Very Happy Plenty of small stations in pre-alpes from here that are better.

sparrish has it spot on, Flaine has got to be the best closest ski station to Geneva, when the lift to Magland opens it'll be better still. For a day Morillon, Les Carroz or even Samoens are best, hire shops next to the lifts, just ideal.
snow conditions
Don't forget the new fast lift from Samoens village! I can get to Samoens in an hour from the airport and the new gondola is a real pleasure compaired to the road to Flaine (which inevitable makes someone feel queezy) Crying or Very sad

The lift from Magland...I hear the rumours and I read the articles but I see no construction work... Puzzled
latest report
I am a big fan of Flaine for a long weekend but the drive is just that bit too long for a day. The bus times don't seem to mesh well with flight times and if you hire a car you've got to hang about for the car rental people to go through their endless questions.

When I lived in Canada (Ottawa) I only occasionally used to slog over to Tremblant prefering the small, cheap and easy to get to hill that was ideal for a day. I just was pondering the idea of a day trip from the UK. But with unreliable snow and expensive last minute flights it sounds like a no-no. I guess if this was such a great idea I'd have heard about it before!
latest report
sparish wrote:
Don't forget the new fast lift from Samoens village! I can get to Samoens in an hour from the airport and the new gondola is a real pleasure compaired to the road to Flaine (which inevitable makes someone feel queezy) Crying or Very sad

The lift from Magland...I hear the rumours and I read the articles but I see no construction work... Puzzled

That's why I mentioned Samoens Very Happy I would think Samoens and Morillon are easier to get to than Flaine, may 15mins less drive but you might know better. The new lift at Samoens has a large hire shop next to it as well.

Generally how much use the lift is would be be open to debate, the infrastructure above needs improving to get major benefits.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 24-05-04 11:05; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Chris Reed wrote:
I am a big fan of Flaine for a long weekend but the drive is just that bit too long for a day. The bus times don't seem to mesh well with flight times and if you hire a car you've got to hang about for the car rental people to go through their endless questions.

I think you should look at the map again and the actual roads, I find it hard to believe from the airport that it's more than 5 or 10 minutes difference.

Interestingly, by what we're being told elsewhere are Scottish standards for snow, there’s still some excellent cover round the Jura I noticed this morning Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy