Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone been to Fernie?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
opinions please Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes,

*tony the tiger mode*
Grrreeeeatttt!!!
*end tony the tiger mode*

lovely little place, we spent three days there last year at the beginning of our road trip and were so impressed we're going back in *checks watch* 28 days and 20.75 hours

The resort is not huge, just 8 lifts, but like most resprts in north america it's all ski-able terrain which opens up the stuff dramtically

the town is about 4 miles away and is a true small canadian mining town, about 6000 inhabitants.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sounds promising then. Mrs telford_mike intends to spend 11 weeks there next winter doing a course (muggins will have to stay behind to pay the mortgage). I was thinking about popping out for a week.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oooh, that sounds interesting. what course?

Bit of a way to go for one week - 10 hour flight and 4 hour transfer.

very nice place though. some pics on my site - go to pics, then look for road trip 2003 subdirectory - the ones named "fernie" something spring to mind Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yep, went around 3 years ago. Stayed in a decent hotel (it had a good bar) in the town - Park Place or something like that. The town was pretty limited re: eating and drinking but I expect it'll improve (or already has).

As already mentioned there aren't a great number of lifts but there's a pretty good amount of terrain. When we went it was the worst snow in 100 years or something rolling eyes but we still had a great time. Some of the double-black runs weren't open because of the conditions but they looked to have a good pitch. Some great off-piste which doesn't disappear inside an hour!

Also did a day's cat skiing, as well as day trips to Kimberley and Big Mountain (over the border in the US).

Been meaning to go back. One day I guess.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Nice pics nbt - comments much appreciated. My other half is doing a course run by http://www.nonstopski.com
She's already a dry-slope instructor and she hopes to get a level CSIA 2 qualification, which would help considerably with our retirement plans...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fernie definitely a place to go before it's too late and they open the nearby airport. There are some excellent places to eat in the town but you have to know where to go - it's not obvious to a non-resident! As for drinking - do you prefer a plastic Meribel bar full of hooray henries serving P*** at outrageous prices, or an authentic western Canadian early 20th century mining town pub with check shirted customers and water cascading through the ceiling when the pipes burst? Cat skiing - YES! Trees - YES! Powder - YES! People from below Canada and their junk food - NO! (except for Starbucks and even that is welcome at -28C).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just got back from ten days there. Liked it a lot, very good snow (although no powder, alas), well groomed, very, very friendly. Can be very cold - the chairs tend to saunter rather, which can be bracing when it's -20C. Great place for intermediates and beyond, NOT good for beginners - we ended up joking about 'Fernie Blues', supposedly intermediate runs but which would easily rate a black in many US and European resorts.

Fernie town (sorry, 'city' as they say over there) is small and not especially lively which I think is great, as I'm an old fuddy-duddy (always have been).

Take a trip to Kimberley while you're there - 90 minutes away, and a quite different hill, with lots of beautiful long cruising runs through trees in the sunshine (Fernie tends to be somewhat less sunny).

J2R
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fernie is AWESOME
possibly the only resort I would go out of my way to revisit - with the possible exception of Copper !
Went for 2 weeks last March and spent 1 hour trying to dig my ski out of the powder the place and skiing was awesome although the greens are like Italian Reds (which is why I would go back there and not to Italy Little Angel

There is a amazing curry house more or less opposite the Park place called the Curry bowl and the thai currys were lush and a decent italian in the town.

Did the trip to Big Mountain - which was sort of Oversold too us and not very steep and very expensive compared to Fernie !

I liked it that much I want to emigrate there snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Did one day in Fernie - out of a 10 day trip to Kimberly a couple of years ago. (you get a free day on the Kimberly lift pass & vice versa I think)

Great skiing. Tends to get alot more snow than any of the other resorts near by so good chance of powder most of the time.

On hill facilities not great - so for a lunch stop there is pretty much a shed or you ski to the bottom of the hill (where there are the standard things like Starbucks etc). The ski down is not particularly arduous however.

Definately worth a visit - although as nbt said its a long way to go for a week.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'll second Helen's recommendation of the Curry Bowl. A tiny place, a bit like someone's living room, but great food.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy